Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default I need some help trouble shooting a speaker.

I have a Monitor 15C that maybe in trouble. This afternoon I was listening to music when a pop ended my enjoyment. I have an Onkyo tx nr616 as the receiver. It gave me a check your speaker wires warning. After some process of elimination I have a speaker that is giving me 3.3 to 3.7 ohms of resistance and I am fearing that is a bad sign. Is there something else that I can check? I love this speaker and am disappointed at this development.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Can you post pics of the speakers? Did you check that no wires are not touching?

EDIT: Are you talking about the 15C center channel? I was thinking you might had the vintage Monitor 15T's. Sorry....got excited there for a second. lol
    Last edited by halo71; 07-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    --Gary--

Member Sales Rating: (13)

After some process of elimination I have a speaker that is giving me 3.3 to 3.7 ohms of resistance and I am fearing that is a bad sign.
    Seems about right to me.

After some process of elimination
    What process was that?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I visually checked speaker wires. Not seeing any obvious issues I began removing speakers one by one till the Center channel was found to be the source. I took the wires and checked them closely for kinks, breakage, and continuity. Once I found the wires to be correct I checked the Ohms resistance on the speaker. I have not had this speaker for more then four months. Really sucks that this has happened.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

At what volume level were you listening?

Try hooking up one of the other speakers as the center channel and see if the problem is still there.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I would follow F1's advice. If the issue occurs with another speaker, the pop you referred to (if it came from the area of the receiver) could have been a capacitor giving up the ghost.
    Any smell of ozone (burning electrical stuff) along with the pop?
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Thanks to ZLTFUL and F1nut. I got in touch with customer service and replaced the crossover. Great service and now I am back in 7.1 surround heaven.

Thread Information