Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    I've been all SS, all tube, SS pre w/tube amp, tube pre w/SS amp, tube and SS CD/SACD/DAC, tube and SS phono, jfet and regular transistor design with regular and ESL speakers. I've had tube gear with audible second order distortion and with inaudible or very little distortion. I've even had some tube gear tested on a spectrum analyzer where it shows the type(s) and amounts of distortion throughout the entire audio frequency range; a nice visual graph to associate with the hearing part. So it isn't like I haven't got some background in my decision. Trust me Greg, it isn't that bad here.

Also, back in 2011 one of the better sytems I've ever heard used eight Acoustic Reality ICEPower amps to power a pair of $150K Magico four ways. The technology is getting even better.
    I wasn't implying that you don't have experience with/without SS and tubes Rich; sorry if you thought that. I remember some of the gear you had/have. We all know we have different tastes for each of us. It sounds like you've found yours Rich, congratulations. I guess (according to some) I am "old school" and like vintage tubes to attain my sound. And what great sound it is.

I will say to polkfarmboy that tubed gear needs to have the appropriate tubes based upon the piece of gear. There is a tube for every piece of gear to make it sound it's best. The key is finding that tube (not type of course although it could be a variation of a tube type, but manufacturer and year, plate structure, and getter type). Again, this is my opinion based upon having all SS, all tube and a mixture of each. So far, I prefer the mixture of tube and SS. I receommned a tube Pre-amp and a SS amp (as you thought polkfarmboy). Gte the "right" tubes for the pre however. Also, a tube CD player and/or DAC would be nice too.
    Last edited by headrott; 07-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

pepster

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    Well variety is the spice of life, part of the fun is changing out gear etc. I think the audiophiles in ND would really annoy me by saying things like 'ohh jeez thats nice range' 'Oh heck ya' ' you betcha' 'Thats soo transparent don't cha know'
    As long as you don't try to hook up speaker cables with banana plugs, I think you would be alright!

Actually, I was commenting more to the fact of exchanging ideas, as to the best they may have heard in the past or present, and possibly offering physical examples of such.
    I have found that audiophiles only have on hand at any given time, some of the best they have heard.
    Last edited by pepster; 07-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    ....It sounds like you've found yours Rich, congratulations. I guess (according to some) I am "old school" and like vintage tubes to attain my sound. And what great sound it is.
    No worries Greg. I believe individual experience shapes our preference. The more experience we have the easier it gets to settle in. We get what we accept. Then again an older audio type once told me we chase different and call it better. Might be some truth in that too. And I actually have some tubes here, just in case... Rock on!
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (0)

PFB, tell me you live in Grand Forks so I can drive 2 hrs and hear those w4s monos

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I used to live about 2 hours from there when I was in MN but now I am in ND. I saw a piece on the news about lots of people from Canada going to GF to buy smokes n stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I used to live about 2 hours from there when I was in MN but now I am in ND. I saw a piece on the news about lots of people from Canada going to GF to buy smokes n stuff lol
    Yeah the savings are crazy for what we can pay for beer after staying in the US for a short time.

Example
    Case of Beer - 24 pack:

Can - $48-50
    US - $17-19

Edit: It's good to know you're within driving distance. Now hopefully I'll never want to buy anything from you.

Edit 2: I should also add that the prices above for 'Can', really is for my province, Manitoba. Damn liquor control omission!
    Last edited by Drenis; 07-23-2013 at 11:44 PM.

pepster

Is this a drug deal?

pepster

Hell its even between states here Andre!
    Last time I went to Colorado (been a few yrs) Bud Light here was like $9/12 pack.
    We got to Colorado, and it was $5/12 pack!

I feel sorry for my ex-wife, it was all her mini-van could do to make it back home, with all the extra weight and all!
    Sure saved me alot of money over the next 6 months though!
    Last edited by pepster; 07-24-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Then again an older audio type once told me we chase different and call it better. Might be some truth in that too.
    Sig material right there.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    Yeah the savings are crazy for what we can pay for beer after staying in the US for a short time.

Example
    Case of Beer - 24 pack:

Can - $48-50
    US - $17-19

Edit: It's good to know you're within driving distance. Now hopefully I'll never want to buy anything from you.

Edit 2: I should also add that the prices above for 'Can', really is for my province, Manitoba. Damn liquor control omission!
    Us GF residence liked it when youss guyss came down and bought all those cigs and liqueur. It help keep the property TAXES lower.

Thread Information