Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Where do you plug your amps in?

I was informed last weekend that I should be plugging my amps directly into the wall instead of through my monster conditioner. Well, tonight I gave it a try. What happened was not expected. I *think* I heard a tad more bass, but the imaging absolutely fell flat on its face. I remember reading before to put amps in the sockets, but I don't think I can do it after that experiment.

I'm curious what experiences others have had and hoping for a bit of a debate on the topic.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Well I have done both, and I cant tell much of a difference.

My AV-705x for my HT is plugged into my H15, and I have plugged that amp into the wall as well. Couldnt tell much of a difference on my setup.

I also have my Parasound HCA-700 plugged into a powerstrip and still cant tell the difference.

My Carver M1.0t though is supposed to be plugged direct into the wall, but I believe thats due more to the amps build topography than anything else....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Like most generalizations, "it depends" is probably the right answer. In this case, it depends on the power conditioner. For example, I use a Shunyata Triton, and it does not limit current in the least, and it cleans up the power. So both of my amps are plugged into the Triton, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line. I am thinking of getting another Triton to separate the amps on one Triton, and the rest of the gear on the other Triton, but at the moment that is just a fleeting thought.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Like most generalizations, "it depends" is probably the right answer. In this case, it depends on the power conditioner. For example, I use a Shunyata Triton, and it does not limit current in the least, and it cleans up the power. So both of my amps are plugged into the Triton, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line. I am thinking of getting another Triton to separate the amps on one Triton, and the rest of the gear on the other Triton, but at the moment that is just a fleeting thought.
    This thought crossed my mind as well. I've never given much thought to that part of the system because its sounded fine and I never heard a difference in the gear I had when I bought it. That system was child's play compared to the current rig. I always left the unit in simply out of function and not sound quality.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Wall
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

To wall. On my tube setup, the sound seems to be rolled off when I plug into my power plant premier

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Power center. Probably tells you all you need to know
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (10)

re-adjust your speakers, sometimes even when you go to different cables you may have to redo your speaker position.
    mine are in the wall.
    Last edited by marvda1; 07-29-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Attached Images  
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Furman PF 15-i

I've honestly never tried to test it out vs the wall

Interesting thread

Directly to the dedicated 20 amp outlets in the wall.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I have my 2 channel plugged into an H15 (amp non-restricted), but, I remember the good old days when it was just the wall and never seemed to have a problem. My HT is plugged into a regular surge protector with no restrictions on power. Maybe the question is really has the power coming to our homes changed that much? Is it really that bad now compared to yesteryear? I'm a big believer in protecting against lightning strikes and such but cleaning up the AC power? Maybe it all depends on where you live? Maybe I'm overthinking it?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have mine into my Panamax unit. I tried the wall and didnt notice much of a difference. If there is a gain its too small to me to risk a surge killing the amp. Down here in tampa power surges and brownouts are far to common. I would rather loose some quality then the entire amp.
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Plug it in where it sounds best to YOU.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Power strip :) I don't trust the wall electrical plugs during power outage.

Into the Furman power conditioners listed in my signature.
    Main system: Proton AA-1150, Yamaha C-4, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Nakamichi CR-1A, Marantz CD5003, Squeezebox Classic, Music Hall dac25.2, Dual 1229/Denon DL-303, Music Hall MMF-5.1/Goldring 1042, Pro-Ject Speed Box II, Sennheiser HD600, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Monitor Audio FB-210

HT: Sony KV-36FS100, Yamaha RX-V800, Furman Elite-15 DMi, Marantz DV6001, Polk Audio RT55i, RTi38, CS400i, (2) PSW450

Everyones situation is different. If you live in an area of constant brown outs/interruptions in service, plugging into a PC makes sense. However, a lot of these devices along with power strips can be current limiting, which as we all know is opposite of our goals as audio nuts.

Maybe too you live in a very old house, crappy wiring and such, then a PC can also make sense in that given scenario. There is no right or wrong answer, but their is a preferable one and that's into the wall.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Receiver into AC regenerated by PS Audio PPP. Classe amp into non-regenerated PS Audio P1000 outlet.

I'd say use whatever way sounds best to you. There's no single rule for all systems. If your system sounds best with your power conditioner in the loop, but you think it's lacking something you may want to try something else from another manufacturer.
    1. JM Labs Electra 920.1 and CC30; MB Quart Vera Sub; Pioneer SC-57; Squeezebox Touch; Panasonic BDT-500 Blu-Ray; Samsung 52" LCD; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S3 cables
    2. Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 SE; Classe Model 25; Marantz SA8004; Acoustech PH1P; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall MMF7; PS Audio P1000; MIT S2 cables
    3. Polk SDA 2A; Parasound Halo JC-2 and A21; Musical Fidelity X-DAC; Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio 4.7; MIT S1 cables

I plug my monoblocks, preamp, CD player, and iPod dock into a Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One 5.0 power conditioner, which is plugged into a dedicated 20-amps circuit.

When I installed the Silver Circle Audio power conditioner, I initially plugged only the monoblocks into it. I noticed an immediate improvement in sound -- very clear and precise sound with great dynamics and spatialization at much lower volumes. More important, my wife, who is not subject to placebo effects, also noticed improvement without any prompting from me.

Later, when I plugged the remaining equipment into the power conditioner, neither my wife nor I noticed any appreciable improvement. This result I considered a "win" because I had to fabricate 12-feet long power cords to enable me to plug the pre, CD player and iPod dock into the power conditioner, and I was concerned that I might experience a degradation in sound quality. I didn't.

My main reason for setting my rig up so that all these components could be plugged into the Silver Circle Pure Power One 5.0 was to make it easy for me to quickly and fully disconnect the entire system from the electric circuitry in my house -- including grounding circuitry. In the north east we have frequent power outages from storms, with lightning and ice, that bring down limbs and trees that take out electric service. I like to disconnect fully my equipment, including from ground circuits. We have had three serious lightning strikes since we moved to New Hampshire, and one of them was a ground strike (charge entered the house circuitry through the grounding circuit) that caused several thousand dollars in damage.

It took a few years, as our electrician warned us, for all the damage to show up in all sorts of electronic devices -- computers, printers, in-wall ovens, refrigerator, transfer switch for stand-by generator, security system, etc. He also said that whole-house surge protectors, like ours, typically do nothing to protect against such ground strikes.

To accomplish full, physical disconnection in the event of the need, I fabricated a four-pole service disconnect in the dedicated 20-amps circuit to the power conditioner. I used Hubbell L-18, 20-amps four pole connectors -- one male and one female. The four poles were used for the neutral, line and two ground wires. One of the ground wires serves the ground prong on the plug/outlet, the other grounds the receptacle enclosure.

When I did all this DIY modification, I was afraid I would negatively affect the sonic quality of my main system, even though I used high quality wire and connectors. Obviously, I was most concerned that adding the Hubbell connectors would detract from the sound quality.

However, so far, I have noticed no change in the quality of the sound -- good or bad. I suspect this is just a testament to the effectiveness of the Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One 5.0, but I do not pretend to be an electrical engineer or highly informed audiophile.

Like so many others, I say do what your ears tell you sounds best!
    Family Room
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player, King Cobra XLRs
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I was informed last weekend that I should be plugging my amps directly into the wall instead of through my monster conditioner. Well, tonight I gave it a try. What happened was not expected. I *think* I heard a tad more bass, but the imaging absolutely fell flat on its face. I remember reading before to put amps in the sockets, but I don't think I can do it after that experiment.

I'm curious what experiences others have had and hoping for a bit of a debate on the topic.
    For the past 9+ years I have been plugging into balanced isolation transformers. The most noticeable improvement is in bass performance. It is as if you inserted an equalizer, boosted the lowest octave a few dB and tightened up the midbass. I don't think I could ever go back to plugging directly into the wall.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Straight to the wall with the amps & sub, the rest goes through a Monster 3500MkII. I doubt the monster could handle it all. I run 2 dedicated 20A circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHo View Post
    Straight to the wall with the amps & sub, the rest goes through a Monster 3500MkII. I doubt the monster could handle it all. I run 2 dedicated 20A circuits.

In response to Marvin's note about position, I don't see where I could do anything more to increase the imaging. The speakers are damn near on axis and pulling them towards the walls will only decrease imaging vs. an increase stage width, no? I'll expand on the issues I heard: the imaging blew, the stage width shrunk, and the speakers were not as transparent as they were before. These weren't subtle changes and that's why I started the thread. I have a newer home (2005) but it isn't a dedicated circuit, so maybe that is where the problem is. The responses have definitely piqued my interest.

PS, for those at the show, including Marvin, swapping the Pangea AC-9's on the monoblocks over the crap stock ones gave the speakers stronger bass. I had positioned them off the wall to eliminate some of it, but that was with the stock ones in place. I'm going to have to reposition now anyways.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

dskip, i just read this and thought it was interesting and akin to your problem.
    http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/am...18/187974.html
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I have a newer home (2005) but it isn't a dedicated circuit, so maybe that is where the problem is. The responses have definitely piqued my interest.
    This was a point I was making in the recent power cable burn-in thread...I stated that even though I have not done a lot in home audio, my experience in car audio and pro audio makes me wonder about the effectiveness of expensive power cords if an updated dedicated circuit is not present....a circuit bottle neck is a bottle neck....its all audio electronics. Those guys blasted me because they have already upgraded everything!

Still, for the guy that has not touched the wall jack and wire, IMO, I think it's a valid area to address.
    Last edited by WLDock; 07-30-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    This was a point I was making in the recent power cable burn-in thread...I stated that even though I have not done a lot in home audio, my experience in car audio and pro audio makes me wonder about the effectiveness of expensive power cords if an updated dedicated circuit is not present....a circuit bottle neck is a bottle neck....its all audio electronics. Those guys blasted me because they have already upgraded everything!
    No, you were not blasted. Personally, the wall circuit was the last thing I upgraded. IMO, power cords and power conditioners make an even bigger difference the dirtier your power is. A dedicated circuit is icing on the cake, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post

Still, for the guy that has not touched the wall jack and wire, IMO, I think it's a valid area to address.
    Even on the wall, a power cable will make a difference. That doesn't mean that a conditioner won't further that difference though. That Stereophile starter guide addressed this kind of thing well in one of the articles. I meant to bookmark that but never did.

Well, if the wall wire is thought of as the last step then......

1) The OEM stranded wire power cord must be a bottle neck

2) Aftermarket power cords generally are better than OEM cords in terms of power delivery...but may also filter the power or have better noise rejection.

I think I would see what the jack is wired with:
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

I never bought into the power conditioner deal w/ no golden ears here I didn't think I would hear any difference and besides that I listen to music way more than movies.What I do use is a Sampson SP-15 9 outlet plug strip w/ some joule protection ,not sure of the # right now. It affords me some form of protection one stop plugging for most all my gear a nice big lit rocker on/off switch and if I know a lightening storm is approaching I do pull just one plug.Nothing that most people have will protect against a full on strike or even a near miss.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Into a 20A power center with voltage regulation; no current restrictions and no harm from fluctuating power lines.

Thread Information