Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default CD/SACD Recommendations

I am looking to purchase my first CD/SACD player or changer. I would prefer an older one because I do not need the DVD or Blueray features. My budget is 250.00 and I have an external DAC if that changes anything.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Find a nice used oppo 83. Should be within your budget.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I like the older Sony models. Just avoid the cheapo SCD-ce595. Its junk. The 775 is essentially the same as the 2000ES. Both are good for the price. Not sure I'd pay more for the ES since warranty is a non-factor now.
    I have a fondness of the C333ES (I've had one for many years). The 555ES is nice, it sells for more than the 333, but IMO it does not sound better, it just has multichannel outs.

Don't be afraid of the mid-2000's DVD/SACD players either. Regardless of whether use the video, some of them sound very good. Higher model Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha models.

Oppo 980 plays everything including HDCD and DVD-A. Also comes in under budget and who doesn't love that? Since you have the outboard DAC I can't see you gaining much by spending more.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Find a nice used oppo 83. Should be within your budget.
    This was the route I took and I am very happy.

My only gripe is it won't let you send SACD or DVD-A through an external DAC. You have to use the DAC in the Oppo.

Regular cd's can be sent through an external, however.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Correct. The DSD does not go through the optical or coax out on any of them. They go through the internal dac. This is what started my quest for a higher end sacd player! Might sound strange but, going through my w4s dac2 on redbook was sounding better vs sacd on several players and took me on a long journey to find a player that would match up!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    Correct. The DSD does not go through the optical or coax out on any of them. They go through the internal dac. This is what started my quest for a higher end sacd player! Might sound strange but, going through my w4s dac2 on redbook was sounding better vs sacd on several players and took me on a long journey to find a player that would match up!
    I've long held the same thought. A good cdp into a good dac with a well recorded 16/44 cd....can easily sound as good as most SACD players. Plus with an external dac in the chain you have more source hookup options too.

I've pulled my horns in a little bit and may go with just a regular CD player. I wouldn't my eventually trying SACD but what ever I purchase will go in my dedicated 2 channel rig so SACD may be a bit over kill.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.

SACD is not over kill it is the shiznit

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Agreed...
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Maybe so....but just like redbook cd's, good recordings are hard to come by on either format. Plus redbook can be downloaded on a 'puter, SACD not so much.

Either way, good recordings regardless of the format are becoming some what of a high end ticket price. The more the industry drives hi-rez, the more they charge for good recordings. Shame really too, some SACD's I would love to own but I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices being asked. Same with hi-rez files. You used to be able to buy a whole cd for what some want for a single song. Eh, I guess times change and I shouldn't complain, what fun is that though.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Maybe so....but just like redbook cd's, good recordings are hard to come by on either format. Plus redbook can be downloaded on a 'puter, SACD not so much.

Either way, good recordings regardless of the format are becoming some what of a high end ticket price. The more the industry drives hi-rez, the more they charge for good recordings. Shame really too, some SACD's I would love to own but I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices being asked. Same with hi-rez files. You used to be able to buy a whole cd for what some want for a single song. Eh, I guess times change and I shouldn't complain, what fun is that though.
    I agree on many of your points. That being said I have yet to put any of my 600 CD's on computer. I have copied CD's to use in the vehicle and I can't do that with SACD but then again I have never seen the need to have that critical listening in the vehicle. Yes the price on SACD is somewhat pricey the most I have ever paid was 75.00 Alison Krauss and Union station live a BARGIN since many go for far more....smackin head....I so should of bought it at best buy when I seen 20 of them for 9.99 per SACD hindsight is 20/20. The last SHM-SACD and only one I have is Black Sabbath paranoid good yes worth 60.00 no I paid 40.00 just to see what it was all about and it still has bad tape hiss in the quite parts

The Sony SCD C333ES has peaked my interest what would I expect to pay for one used?

I wouldn't shoot this one down on a budget

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Pioneer-Elit...ayer-/55058696
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Thread Information