Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Philips FB 825 Speakers - Anyone have info?

I just picked up a pair of Philips FB 825 Speakers. I can find very little information on them. Anyone heard these or have info on them?

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I would return them from whence they came.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I would second the above comment.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I would third that comment! Do it quickly!

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I would try to find 3 more of them...then you would have a dynamite surround set-up.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Hmm...really. Either we're talking about different speakers or my ears are bad but they really have a good sound to them. Very well made speaker. Not what I would have expected from Philips. These are not cheapo speakers. They have a ribbon tweeter 3 1/2" midrange and 2 8" woofers per speaker. Very well constructed hardwood cabinet. The imaging is very good and accurate. My normal speakers for listening are Polk SDA SRS 2's so it's not like I don't have a decent reference point. While these don't match up to those, they aren't bad. What don't you guys like about them?

I have the utmost confidence that you'll figure it out as time goes by.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....

Member Sales Rating: (55)

One of the items with the keyword "digital" or "digital ready" in the advertising.

My speakers play ones and zeros better than yours do.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

I only buy THx Ultra 2 Special Series 3 Ultimum certified speakers.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Yesterday I played the right combination of 1 and 0 through my speakers and a big green sphere appeared in front of me and let me time travel; and paradox free time travel to boot!

Hey bryanj, if you think they sound good, good. That's what matters. They are not revered speakers, but you like them. That's enough.

LMAO!! Okay, while I don't read the language of the advertising, I get the hints. Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the input. Mainly I was just curious as to where they came from and if there was much info on them as I couldn't find squat. I guess the fact that nobody offers anything on them speaks loudly on opinion. I wish I could actually read what the advertising says as it seems to be rather insulting to you guys :) Yes, I get the digital part. I would ask though, have you guys heard these or is it just the advertising that you dislike so much? Thanks again for the input. I appreciate the humor and info. I've been picking up different speakers off Craigslist just to play with. It's always fun to hear different designs and experiment with stuff. So far though, no competition for the SRS 2's.

The keywords "digital ready" in speaker or headphone advertising are not indicators of inferior product (unless the speaker has the initials Cerwin-Vega). A few companies with okay products and creative advertising departments used the term. Koss comes to mind as well.

During the first Gulf War I was doing something up at Pease AFB in New Hampshire, and stumbled upon a quasi hi-end shop that was closing cause the owners were divorcing. There were some good deals to be had. I picked up a small passive Parasound sub that I still have, but balked on a pair of the small Polk speakers that already had surround onboard, all you had to do was hook them to the "B" terminals of a receiver or amp. S-400 was the model I think and I could've had them for $50 but I balked. Anyhow, one of the pilots asked me about speakers and the only thing he would go for was an okay sounding pair of Phillips. Cabinets were rock solid. It had a single 8" woof with a mid and tweet but I'm fairly certain it wasn't a ribbon. He bought those and I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of that Phillips line at the time. They looked an awful lot like the ones you posted.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Philips made some dang fine OEM drivers over the years. Sometimes they even put them into speaker systems.

... some pretty nice hifi components, too...

Last edited by mhardy6647; 04-10-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thanks for the responses. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Maybe I'll do some experimenting with the components in these. Heck, I might accidentally learn something...

I guarantee you'll learn one thing if you stick around here. Mhardy is stuck in a time warp.

Philips has a hard time making a simple transport, 'nuff said.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I guarantee you'll learn one thing if you stick around here. Mhardy is stuck in a time warp.
    LMAO! :D

I'll have you know that I have recently bought a brand spanking new turntable :-)
    (also an extremely tarted-up version of a cheap Chinese DAC)

Last edited by mhardy6647; 04-11-2008 at 08:37 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Mhardy is stuck in a time warp.
    Yes, he's a vintage gear guy. I am not so much interested owning anything from that era, but I always enjoy his photo's and input. Brings back a lot of memories when I was a kid creating my wish list(s).

I am almost positive the speakers the OP has are made entirely by someone else for Phillips. Who that is I don't know.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Well OF COURSE I still have a lot of vinyl still laying around. I'm excited and honored that you asked Mark.

My daughter was home last weekend. I showed her the new tt and she really liked its esthetics... but she further commented that she liked the "iPod-influence" of its style.
    all the best,
    mrh

Those look like some really nice speakers.

It all comes down to your ears. If you like them, then they are the right speakers for you. End of discussion.

I don't understand the mentality of bashing mainstream electronics manufacturers. You know, within audio circles, Polk is also considered a mainstream speaker manufacturer (although more chic than the likes of Philips, Yamaha, etc.), and people also bash Polks for no other reason than it is a mainstream company.

The big electronics manufacturers such as Philips, Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Pioneer, etc. all made some really fantastic speakers and amps in years past. For whatever reason, they decided that the money was in more mass market consumer grade stuff. So they stepped out of the high end market for a while. I am glad that at least some of them are getting back into the game. If you get a chance, also take a look at Pioneer's site, Pioneer seems to be bringing out a new line of very high end audio components, including some really good speakers.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...nts/Hi-FiAudio
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rence+One.Kuro

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...ex2_eprint.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    My daughter was home last weekend. I showed her the new tt and she really liked its esthetics... but she further commented that she liked the "iPod-influence" of its style.
    Mark,

Didn't you fix her up with a spiffy tube amp when she went off to school? I thought I remembered a post saying as much.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post

The big electronics manufacturers such as Philips, Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Pioneer, etc. all made some really fantastic speakers and amps in years past. For whatever reason, they decided that the money was in more mass market consumer grade stuff. So they stepped out of the high end market for a while. I am glad that at least some of them are getting back into the game. If you get a chance, also take a look at Pioneer's site, Pioneer seems to be bringing out a new line of very high end audio components, including some really good speakers.

Don't forget Marantz! They have been steadily moving up with some high end audio componets for quite a while now. Their Reference Series looks like serious stuff. I'd love the opportunity to hear these first hand.

Carl
    Carl

I've been keeping an eye on the Marantz reference series stuff as well. Those amps look seriously beefy and very pretty with that gold trim.

But where can you find them?

Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw View Post
    Mark,

Didn't you fix her up with a spiffy tube amp when she went off to school? I thought I remembered a post saying as much.
    She used the S-5 "K-12" amp for a few years in college. She's now using an hk 680i given to me by a coworker :-)

Our son used the K-12 amp last year, but wanted to go the ss route this year, too.

At the moment, the K-12 is on loan to the fellow who bought my Cornwalls. The amp sounds far better on them than it has a right to for its price.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Mhardy is stuck in a time warp.
    I second this statement, with all these advertisements and news articles he keeps posting I'm wondering what year he is stuck in? Those ads haven't been around in 20-30 years.

Well, in my day job I run a state of the art high-throughput analytics laboratory... I figure I earn being stuck, and quite happily so, in a hi-fi time warp for a hobby.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I like the older stuff, too. 2 of my favorite pairs of speakers to listen to are my Altec Lansinc Milano's (like Valencia's) on a rebuilt Magnavox tube amp and my Klipsch Heresy's in my office on the (late 70's) Sansui AU-11000a. The only newer gear I own is my home theater stuff. Nothing against the newer things especially since I have access to almost anything out there at cost. It's just a fun hobby to have and there are worse things I could spend my money on. :D
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

The only thing I have against new stuff that's good is how much it costs.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information