Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    And yet you posted your uninformed opinion even thou it had nothing to do with the OP's question. Brilliant.
    I know I am brilliant. Thank you
    AVR: PIONEER SC-1522-K
    FRONT L/R: MONITOR 70 II
    CENTER: MONITOR 25C
    SURROUND L/R: JAMO S426
    SURROUND BACK L/R: ENERGRY EF-500
    SUBWOOFER: DUAL KLIPSCH RW-12D

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: SAMSUNG PN50A650

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by GFOviedo View Post
    I didn't say anything about saving anyone money. I was simply stating my opinion.
    Ok, so as F1nut (Jesse) brought up, what cables have you tried to base this opinion upon? That is what this thread is about; finding peoples' opinions about what they consider the best speaker cable and best "bang for buck" speaker cable they have tried. What speaker cables have you tried and what speaker cables do you consider best and best B4B?
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

I've only tried 4 brands. All of them were 12 gauge. Bluejeans, Monsters, Audioquest, and what I currently use monoprice 12 gauge CL2, which I cover with black sleeve, use speaker wire pants, and Swelle deadbolt banana plugs.

Don't ask me the model of the cables since they were borrowed, and given back after completing my speaker wire runs with Monoprice. However, I can say I didn't noticed any difference in sound.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Makes sense to me I used 10ga for the longest time 12ga is so yesterday........
    I use 12 coat hangers strung inside a garden hose for insulation ....

Just kidding...

But in all honestly I like my Audioquest FLX 14/4 speaker wire for budget stuff. Its good for bi-wire, bi-amp, or just really large gauge single runs. All from the same cable and its about as cheap as Monoprices speaker wire.

But I LOVE my Kimber Kable 8VS speaker wire. Not as expensive as the MIT stuff, but more costly than Blue Jeans and Signal.

Just got in some of Doug's 9 AWG speaker cables and interconnects and will be playing with those for a bit so will check back and see if things change
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    I use 12 coat hangers strung inside a garden hose for insulation I used Tool Dip worked as well as anything Coconut Audio sells at 1/2 the price

Just kidding...it works better than Coconut Audio at 3x the price
    Fixed it fer ya

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Fixed it fer ya
    You forgot its sprinkled with pixie dust, and has pieces of unicorn horn pieces embedded in it. That paired with the flawless diamonds hand picked by a blind man in China, tuned by strumming the wire on his guitar. It doesnt get any better till you buy the cables made by the Skidders....

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

So far the best has been from Signal Cable. However,the mailman just dropped off a pkg.from Clear Day consisting of new shotguns and jumpers. We shall see......
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    Cambridge Audio tuner
    Yaquin tube buffer (PearsAll)
    Rotel RCD1072
    Morrow Sp3
    Morrow Xlr
    Lsi15 w/Fortress mod.

Bedroom
    HK3490
    Adcom 555
    Marantz 5003
    Monitor 70 II
    Signal cables

You forgot its sprinkled with pixie dust, and has pieces of unicorn horn pieces embedded in it. That paired with the flawless diamonds hand picked by a blind man in China, tuned by strumming the wire on his guitar. It doesnt get any better till you buy the cables made by the Skidders....
    Well I didn't want to let all your secret's from corporate espionage out...double ought cypher naught.

As most people around here know I use 14 gu clear primarily out of financial constraint and then not just being well informed. Forget for a second what all your opinions are, I called multiple companies w/ the science rap why their cables are the go to pairs.Lower the gu. and of course it lowers the resistance that's I think is Ohm's Law or part there of and then the whole OFC deal and then quality terminations. Boys I I'm learning and like we used to say I will UPGRADE to the front row some day.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I've only tried 4 brands. All of them were 12 gauge. Bluejeans, Monsters, Audioquest, and what I currently use monoprice 12 gauge CL2, which I cover with black sleeve, use speaker wire pants, and Swelle deadbolt banana plugs.

Don't ask me the model of the cables since they were borrowed, and given back after completing my speaker wire runs with Monoprice. However, I can say I didn't noticed any difference in sound.
    looking at the gear in your sig, I would say that your cable choices are commensurate with your needs. I am in no way trying to bash your choices, it's just my opinion.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    looking at the gear in your sig, I would say that your cable choices are commensurate with your needs. I am in no way trying to bash your choices, it's just my opinion.
    Agreed. This is a hard point to make without offending someone, but you represent the general population of "cable is cable". Their virtues and downfalls become readily apparent as you step up your game.
    Last edited by DSkip; 08-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Mono 12ga ---> Audioquest Type 4 ---> Signal Cable Ultra ----> MIT CVT-2/MIT (T2) HT2S (center channel)

I slowly went up the chain in speaker cables and found subtle improvements but the MITs hands down were the best BY FAR in all categories.

When I went to the MIT center channel I was blown away in the SQ. It really sounds like a different (better speaker)!
    Adcom GFP-750, Adcom GFR-700, Adcom GFA-5802, Jolida JD100, polk LSi15, polk LSiC, polk LSiFX, Velodyne Impact 12, APC H15, Sony KDL-60EX500, Sony BDP-S570, Pangea, MIT

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Agreed. This is a hard point to make without offending someone, but you represent the general population of "cable is cable". Their virtues and downfalls become readily apparent as you step up your game.
    Bingo.

No cable will make an entry level system sound like it cost 3 g's more. That's why we always say as your system improves, so should the cabling. Just common sense really.

Here a thread from the AVSForum where I learn how to do my "dress" my own 12 gauge cables. If anyone is interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1301573/ha...igh-end-cables

Was there a point to posting a cable-bashing thread? I must've lost it...
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

It makes "The Stupid People" feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Was there a point to posting a cable-bashing thread? I must've lost it...
    Wait for it...

Wait for it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

I once thought as you did young Padawan, BUT since I have actually tried different one's I can Honestly tell you there IS a Difference..
    All depends on your budget..
    Speaker wire is speaker wire, it doesn't matter how you pretty they are. I can't believe how much money people spend on these! Then again, if you have the money that's cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    I once thought as you did young Padawan, BUT since I have actually tried different one's I can Honestly tell you there IS a Difference..
    All depends on your budget..
    True enough it took us awhile to brainwash him into believing, but it was worth the effort....wasn't it?

WTF??

Why is pepster listed as a "guest" now under his username????

Did I miss something?

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (13)

If anyone is interested
    I'm not.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (13)

WTF??

Why is pepster listed as a "guest" now under his username????

Did I miss something?
    That would mean he asked for his membership to be terminated.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

About 3 years go I picked up a pair of Nordost Vallhalla's at an estate sale. They had no idea what they were, even though they had some high end equipment priced accordingly. Paid $25 for a set of $5000 cables. My best pick to date.

They were excellent cables, but I sold them on A-gon and purchased my motorcycle.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Right now....used AudioQuest CV-6s.

I also liked the MIT T4s I used to have in my RTiA9s.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Kimber 8TC, for over 9 years. No desire to replace.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

The absolute best speaker cable that I have ever used were completely custom built to my specifications. The cable detail;

A #4 solid, oxygen free conductor, gold plated and then covered with a kapton coating for the first layer of insulation. The second layer of insulation was a high dielectric, low swell, EPDM rubber - this was primary insulation. The third layer of insulation was a high modulus, EPDM breathable rubber. Lastly, the cable was then covered in a bedding jacket to prevent mechanical damage. The connector ends were formed into a spade configuration from the same solid conductor, and also gold plated. The cables were rated for usage up to 400*F, and were pressure tested to 1500 PSI for an extended duration. During the pressure test period the wires were also burned in at 3289 volts, but the cables were rated for 5,000 volts. The wires were meticulously made for my system, and as its a solid conductor it is quite stiff. The wires must be pre-bent at the factory to exact measurements.

Unfortunately, I sold the speakers that these wires were manufactured for, and as everything was prebent to spec, the wires went with the speakers. The price was ungodly high for these cables, and I don't think I even want to share that information.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Dude, those sound awesome....do you have any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by kevhed72 View Post
    Dude, those sound awesome....do you have any pics?
    Yes, and why those specifications?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by SHOKDU View Post
    The absolute best speaker cable that I have ever used were completely custom built to my specifications. The cable detail;

A #4 solid, oxygen free conductor, gold plated and then covered with a kapton coating for the first layer of insulation. The second layer of insulation was a high dielectric, low swell, EPDM rubber - this was primary insulation. The third layer of insulation was a high modulus, EPDM breathable rubber. Lastly, the cable was then covered in a bedding jacket to prevent mechanical damage. The connector ends were formed into a spade configuration from the same solid conductor, and also gold plated. The cables were rated for usage up to 400*F, and were pressure tested to 1500 PSI for an extended duration. During the pressure test period the wires were also burned in at 3289 volts, but the cables were rated for 5,000 volts. The wires were meticulously made for my system, and as its a solid conductor it is quite stiff. The wires must be pre-bent at the factory to exact measurements.

Unfortunately, I sold the speakers that these wires were manufactured for, and as everything was prebent to spec, the wires went with the speakers. The price was ungodly high for these cables, and I don't think I even want to share that information.
    That much attention to detail on cables and no detail spent buying Emotiva. Something doesn't quite add up here. For now I'm taking your cable post as tongue in cheek. Convince me otherwise. Pressure testing and heat testing aren't relevant for in home audio cables. Explain the significance in a home audio arena.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Thread Information