Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default I won a super cheap ebay auction, wait till you hear this jokers response to me

So I won this auction for today real cheap for a Martin Logan subwoofer to add some bass to my wyred4sound mono's

I have been contacting this guy all day asking for a shipping quote as he had it over $100 and its only a 49 lb item. I informed him that I do not like ups and I would like the box dimentions and weight sent to me along with a fed quote. He just keeps ignoring me. But last night as soon as I asked anything he was responding instantly

Ok here is response about 5 minutes ago and I quote " I am on vacation with my son . Sorry of that is more important than the price of shipping
    I will refund your money first thing tomorrow
    I do not sit in front of a PC or check emails all day"

I am like what the ??? So I respond back "What do you mean your on vacation or you do not sit in front of a computer all day. Your selling stuff on ebay but you have no intention of accommodating a buyer? "

During typing this thread I get another message "I SAID I would refund your money
    Let it go"

What planet is this tough guy on because now he's using caps lol

I just responded "Well I would actually like a quote please"

This is funny and will update and I am opento any suggestions for replying to this rotten apple

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I think you need to contact eBay. He can't unilaterally void an auction, you have to agree to it. However, if his quote was over $100 and you bid anyway, you would have to pay what he quoted in order for the sale to go through. At least, that's what it was when I was selling there.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

I think you can actually ask for a revision about overcharging shipping and before the auction ended I explained all of this but still even at $265 for a Martin Logan grotto plus $100 shipping is still quite a good deal even though he informed me that the speaker line level inputs are not working.... don't you think?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

However, if his quote was over $100 and you bid anyway, you would have to pay what he quoted in order for the sale to go through.
    Bingo!!!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I think you can actually ask for a revision about overcharging shipping and before the auction ended I explained all of this but still even at $265 for a Martin Logan grotto plus $100 shipping is still quite a good deal even though he informed me that the speaker line level inputs are not working.... don't you think?
    Definitely, but the guy's attitude would worry me. Did he mention the line level problem in the ad? If not, you have to wonder if it's true and he's trying to talk you out of them, or if there's other issues he didn't cover. Still, it is an awesome price if that's all that wrong with them.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

Member Sales Rating: (16)

pfb, since you bid, you agreed to the terms of the auction. If he quoted 100.00 shipping and you bid, then you're bound by the terms. If you had any questions, you should have asked before bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Bingo!!!
    Bongo

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    pfb, since you bid, you agreed to the terms of the auction. If he quoted 100.00 shipping and you bid, then you're bound by the terms. If you had any questions, you should have asked before bidding.
    But I really did explain to him about it last night and he was real cool about it

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

So you got a good buy but the shipping quoted was a bit "too high". That happens all the time! How "old" are you--you're an adult, right?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    So you got a good buy but the shipping quoted was a bit "too high". That happens all the time! How "old" are you--you're an adult, right?

cnh
    Sometimes lol but seriously, I talked to the guy the night before and he was all .. sure I will use fedex and not ups to get you a more accurate quote. He was very accommodating and now that no one bidded because it ended at 7 am he just ignores me lol

After I posted this thread I sent a message " Lets just ship it your way, I know your upset because your subwoofer went low" <<

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I know your upset because your subwoofer went low" <<
    Are you trying to instigate something?

Contact eBay.
    AVR: PIONEER SC-1522-K
    FRONT L/R: MONITOR 70 II
    CENTER: MONITOR 25C
    SURROUND L/R: JAMO S426
    SURROUND BACK L/R: ENERGRY EF-500
    SUBWOOFER: DUAL KLIPSCH RW-12D

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: SAMSUNG PN50A650

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Please don't bid on anything I might sell on eBay.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I won a turntable on Ebay a Pioneer PL518 for $50, real nice.

The guy emailed me back 2 days later and said that Sandy had flooded his house and that he has refunded my Paypal.

Did he change his mind or did that really happen?

Anyway you agree to the sellers terms and price on shipping unless you work out something before the auction ends.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post

cnh
    Polkfarm"BOY"

Just saying...
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Please don't bid on anything I might sell on eBay.
    Don't worry I am not into emotiva amplifiers

The guys are right PFB, once you bid your agreeing to terms and shipping costs. Winning the auction is like signing a contract under those terms. Trying to negotiate after signing that contract is a no-no.

I know tony and agree with you and have paid him in full even though that is not what I discussed with the guy before and after bidding the night before the auction ended. Its also a lesson learned to never take anyones word on ebay as its all very legalistic and not like our beloved flee market

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Sounds like the shipping cost was right in front of your face when you bid on it.......I guess some folks just aren't cut out for the complicated world that is Ebay.........................
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post
    Sounds like the shipping cost was right in front of your face when you bid on it.......I guess some folks just aren't cut out for the complicated world that is Ebay.........................
    Sounds like you never even read anything in the thread jk

Just incase you missed it, the seller offered to accommodate me with a more accurate rate and change the carrier to fedex as I dont like ups. He said he just put in a fixed price and offered ups and would sort it out if I won

I won, now its only going out ups for the listed rate. Many people here don't see anything wrong with this picture and thats fine but its not really the way I do things
    Last edited by polkfarmboy; 08-02-2013 at 12:29 PM.

I think based on your previous posts that you have a real problem dealing with people on Ebay. It's not so much that the people you deal with are "jokers" but rather how you deal with them. You come off as abrasive, impatient, and aggressive. Calm down, be friendly and it will be fine. Just the title of your thread tells me your mentality towards it.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

It is pretty obvious that many sellers on eBay inflate the shipping price that they quote in their listings and post "low-ball" prices for the items listed. This practice makes their items appear more attractive and assures them that they get the amount they want from their auctions. Is this deceptive? I don't know, but I do know that they put it right out there in front of God and everybody to see. That's life on eBay.

When I buy, offer or bid, I include shipping as I consider the price I'm willing to pay. That way there are no surprises and no gripes on my side.

Just my humble opinion.
    Family Room
    PS Audio PW MKII DAC, PW Transport; AQ Vodka IC
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Well I have had great dealings with everyone on there apart from this guy and if you think his response of "I am on vacation with my son . Sorry of that is more important than the price of shipping I will refund your money first thing tomorrow I do not sit in front of a PC or check emails all day " after ignoring me the whole day after saying anything to make me bid is a fault of mine then sure, guilty s

Here is how I do things, I ship with an exact amount anddo not skim anything off the top and ship what ever carrier the buyer wants. I even stopped a shipment going out because I noticed me and ebay was making too much money from the sale last week. I refunded my buyer and relisted it for him with a better shipping price, alot of hassle and waiting for money again but at least I did the right thing

Once I sold my AVM 40 on ebay and the buyers wife called me up when it arrived at their home complaining about they have a kid and he's out of control. Even though that sale was final and no returns I gladly did what I could to help and took back the Anthem and refunded the guys wife to make them happy

polkfarmboy,

Your approach is commendable -- honesty, integrity with sportsmanship thrown in as icing on the cake! I would say you are the Nordstrom-like seller on eBay.

My experience is, however, that if you expect that gold standard for customer satisfaction to be ubiquitous on eBay, you are doomed to be frequently disappointed.

I've "rolled the dice" on a few dodgy eBay listings. I've been satisfied with some results and dissatisfied with about an equal number. I never buy anything that is not paid via PayPal. I've had very good luck with the PayPal dispute resolution process, but that would not have helped you in your situation.

By the way, if the seller verbally agreed to one thing and then refused to live by his word, PayPal/eBay would not help you, as far as I know. All they can do is enforce the terms of their businesses. I would, of course, never touch an item from that seller again.

I've noticed in the past couple of years, Ebay sellers will sometimes post a Buy It Now price that looks like a deal, then they charge a buttload for the shipping and handling. Better to just buy from the trusted sellers here at CP flea market.

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    I've noticed in the past couple of years, Ebay sellers will sometimes post a Buy It Now price that looks like a deal, then they charge a buttload for the shipping and handling. Better to just buy from the trusted sellers here at CP flea market.
    Amen to that!

[QUOTE=Moose68Bash;1946498]It is pretty obvious that many sellers on eBay inflate the shipping price that they quote in their listings and post "low-ball" prices for the items listed. This practice makes their items appear more attractive and assures them that they get the amount they want from their auctions. Is this deceptive? I don't know, but I do know that they put it right out there in front of God and everybody to see. That's life on eBay.

I've seen that many times.... maybe they figure that if you stumble on the item one minute before auctions end you won't factor in the shipping costs into the total price you are paying or you will be getting a packaging job that could survive a fall out of an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose68Bash View Post
    It is pretty obvious that many sellers on eBay inflate the shipping price that they quote in their listings and post "low-ball" prices for the items listed. This practice makes their items appear more attractive and assures them that they get the amount they want from their auctions.
    I've seen that many times.... maybe they figure that if you stumble on the item one minute before auctions end you won't factor in the shipping costs into the total price you are paying or you will be getting a packaging job that could survive a fall out of an airplane.

Heck, some of the great packing jobs for our fellow polkies probably could__ survive a fall out of an airplane!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I won a Yammy receiver on a 1st and only bid. The seller shoved it in a box so tight the
    sides were bulged out. No packing material. It was advertised as broken.
    IT got to me with more dings and dents that you could imagine.
    And it WORKED. Go figure.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information