Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default ? about my Yamaha rx-v665

I've been concentrating so much on the SDA-b2 that I picked up a few weeks ago that I've been audio muting my avr to get both I-NET radio, Dock and even tv through the Polks instead of the Klipsch #500 smalls I also have for H/T or any other speakers I have at the moment.Now,The Yamaha volume control seems to go where no man has gone before. On the - volume side it reaches -80 then the next is auto audio mute.At this level neither humans ,dogs, birds or even dolphins can hear this.Going over to the plus side I never even reached +9 before the thing shut down into protecto mode then comes back to life after turning it back on.It's well ventilated it seems to work great but this bothers me.This why I always wanted a seperate power amp which of course I did get from Audio Classics my rack mount face Adcom gfa555.So what's up w/ the volume system of the Yamaha and why would they go to inaudible levels and conversly not put the alleged 90wpc that was supposed to wow me.Actually once it clipped I was so bummed I 1st called Klipsch to see if the smalls could handle the output and they actually laughed and said yes they can take that and then some it's your AVR.
    2chl- Adcom 555- Onkyo P-301 pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson PS-15 9 outlet- Niles Sp 6- 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax-KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Member Sales Rating: (2)

The + side of the volume scale on most AVRs is insanely loud. I can't imagine why you'd need to go there. It varies from system to system, but I generally run in the -20 to -10 range for music or movies - the latter has the room shaking for a good action flick.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Once you get into the + side of the dial, even before that, your in the danger zone. LW...you should read up more about power. Running that AVR into the + side will start distorting and possibly do some harm to those speakers, any of them. Also running it until it shuts down is a big no-no......if you value the money spent on gear anyway. If not, then by all means crank until the knob comes off.
    Last edited by tonyb; 08-04-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Btw, this feels like déjà vu all over again: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...for-reasurence

Yes I probably asked this years ago fng forgive me. Tony my usual tv listening level is actually -29/32 and not louder. It's just I wanted to air it out as I like to say and it seemed VERY limited to me.Conversly why bother going so high on the - scale if you can't hear it except on a oscillascope.( That would be seen)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    Yes I probably asked this years ago fng forgive me. Tony my usual tv listening level is actually -29/32 and not louder. It's just I wanted to air it out as I like to say and it seemed VERY limited to me.Conversly why bother going so high on the - scale if you can't hear it except on a oscillascope.( That would be seen)
    Air it out ? LOL....DUDE....as Dirty Harry used to say, "A man's got to know his limitations". When you hear the music start to collapse,distort, turn it down, not up. Forcing the receiver into protect mode isn't doing you or the gear any favors. Are you really expecting something more from an entry level AVR ? If so, then you've learned nothing in your time spent here. No offense LW, just that for the life of me I can't understand why people do what you described.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Air it out ? LOL....DUDE....as Dirty Harry used to say, "A man's got to know his limitations". When you hear the music start to collapse,distort, turn it down, not up. Forcing the receiver into protect mode isn't doing you or the gear any favors. Are you really expecting something more from an entry level AVR ? If so, then you've learned nothing in your time spent here. No offense LW, just that for the life of me I can't understand why people do what you described.
    I agree.
    AVR: PIONEER SC-1522-K
    FRONT L/R: MONITOR 70 II
    CENTER: MONITOR 25C
    SURROUND L/R: JAMO S426
    SURROUND BACK L/R: ENERGRY EF-500
    SUBWOOFER: DUAL KLIPSCH RW-12D

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: SAMSUNG PN50A650

+9 ouch I've never had to go past -10 on my Denon 891 couldn't imagine. That airs my Rtia5's and 3's. stick to your Adcom and your 2b's should you feel the need to air it out.

All I had to do is look at the shipping weight 20 lbs.
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V665.../dp/B001S2RD9A
    Stop it.
    This is an entry level unit for people that just don't like the tinny speakers that come with the Tv and want some bookies for surround

My ears start ringing at any point below -45, and so I've never ventured beyond that range except on accident when I've got my finger on the button for too long. Even then it's immediately zipped back to the -50 to -56.6 range for easy listening. I would think that keeping it anywhere below -35 would result in audible clipping anyway.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    Monitor 70s 30s CS2
    PSW110

Yea I like knobs and mine are set to start low on power on and the limit is set so if I did set one of the inputs to loud maybe it would not blow anything

Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    My ears start ringing at any point below -45, and so I've never ventured beyond that range except on accident when I've got my finger on the button for too long. Even then it's immediately zipped back to the -50 to -56.6 range for easy listening. I would think that keeping it anywhere below -35 would result in audible clipping anyway.

Yeah, these figures are definitely relative, but I just took mine up to 0 with some music playing - pretty freaking loud, but probably the limit for my system, as far as introducing distortion beyond a tolerable level. Prolonged listening at that level would have me deaf in no time. FYI, I could easily talk over the music at -35, and -50 was pretty quiet for me. If I only listened at that level, a clock radio would get the job done!
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    Yea I like knobs and mine are set to start low on power on and the limit is set so if I did set one of the inputs to loud maybe it would not blow anything
    But knobs go bad after awhile. I've got an old Marantz lying around with a volume knob that stopped working after so much turning. Everything else works fine including the volume buttons on the remote, so it's a non-issue. Still, I'd like to be able to fix it, but it seems I would have to open up the AVR and start removing parts -- well outside of my skillset.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    Monitor 70s 30s CS2
    PSW110

The Onyko is like a digital knob I think because you turn it slow and it ramps up slow turn it a shorter amount but fast and it goes quick. That Marantz is probably worth some bucks

But knobs go bad after awhile. I've got an old Marantz lying around with a volume knob that stopped working after so much turning. Everything else works fine including the volume buttons on the remote, so it's a non-issue. Still, I'd like to be able to fix it, but it seems I would have to open up the AVR and start removing parts -- well outside of my skillset.

I don't even see anywhere that it is 4ohm stable?

You're asking too much of your receiver. It has preouts so get yourself a decent 2 channel amp to power the 2B's with.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    The Onyko is like a digital knob I think because you turn it slow and it ramps up slow turn it a shorter amount but fast and it goes quick. That Marantz is probably worth some bucks
    I forgot to say "but not vintage." Couple hundred bucks for one that is flawless the last I checked. Full set of pre-outs, though. So it might have a future just yet.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    Monitor 70s 30s CS2
    PSW110

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    If I only listened at that level, a clock radio would get the job done!
    Then again, I have the "dynamic volume" aka "loudness" switched on. You probably have yours on pure direct or something like it. So, maybe my -50 is like your -35.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    Monitor 70s 30s CS2
    PSW110

Nghtfall, ADCOM gfa 555 has been in the house for 3/4 years or so now.Entry level I take offese to your accusations there are plenty of way lower Yamahas out there.Again I really ,really do not push the avr just few time which was a disappointment to me.Before I got my Onkyo P-301 pre I did use the Adcom as power for the the Yammi as a pre/pro.This much I know.

I'm sorry you take offense to what we're telling you. I'm running the 667 which I assume is the same power source as yours, It's only 3 pounds heavier, and guess what I think of it? When pushed, it sounds like garbage, so I went and bought a vintage power source and am using it only as a pre. If you have an Adcom just lying around that put out 325 watts with a 4 ohm load why are you not using it?
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

I run a RX-V667 in my HT in a small(ish) room, but it only powers the center and L-R rears. The front L-R speakers are powered by a Carver TFM 42 which is in turn driven by the pre outs on the Yamaha. No hint of strain even at room clearing volume.

The Yamaha is a nice little unit when operated within its capacity.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    I run a RX-V667 in my HT in a small(ish) room, but it only powers the center and L-R rears. The front L-R speakers are powered by a Carver TFM 42 which is in turn driven by the pre outs on the Yamaha. No hint of strain even at room clearing volume.

The Yamaha is a nice little unit when operated within its capacity.
    +1, from what folks have said here, that Carver TFM 42 can crank! It has an abundance of watts, especially used in a small room!

Guys w/ the 667 is just I think a year or 2 newer of the same avr it might but not sure it might have ethernet as mine does not and have do y-splitter deal out of the computer to get i-net tunes. I actually recomended the Yammi to a friend of mine out west he got it and loves it w/ the Klipsch combo and get this he is so not into either music and movies per se he's never heard a blu/ray through it which I found pretty damn funny.Meanwhile I'm still dealing w/ my beat Tosihba main tv. It's definately toast moved bdrm tv into living rm for A-ROD news and till Cablevision gives the thumbs down Tuesday I have to deal w/this. As I said prior I was going to call Frank at Signal to order some real live cables and now that's out the window for a while.

Thread Information