Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Magnepan SMGa upgrades/maintenance

I know there are quite a few Maggie lover/owners on the forum. Having recently picked up my first pair for an entry price I was comfortable with (assuming I'd have to do maintenance myself), I'm looking for input to decide the best route to take to make these things sing like they were meant to. So far, here is what on the list:

Fix delamination.
    Upgrade Crossovers
    Upgrade Binding Posts
    Possible bypass of fuses

I've already found the go-to guide for relaminating them, so I'm covered there. The other three are something I'd like to do myself, but my technical knowledge is quite limited. I don't even know how to bypass the fuses so some input there would be more than ideal. Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I need to know before I go to town on these pups? It might be a while til I get to the more expensive parts, but I'll be doing the lamination hopefully this weekend.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I would not bypass the fuses on this design, but everything else is a must do. If you get stuck doing the re-lamination, give me a shout and I can help you through it. I may have built those back in the day at White Bear Lake...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Those upgrades should make good difference, and should cost too much either. Pictures when you take them please!

Member Sales Rating: (58)

My fix for delaminating Magnepan loudspeakers is to buy another more modern pair of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    My fix for delaminating Magnepan loudspeakers is to buy another more modern pair of them.
    Budget man. I had to coax the wife into these only after the guy dropped the price another $100 that day. I have no issue doing the work and it should be fun to actually get some hands-on work in this hobby. I went out and bought some new fuses for them today and they are really nice. I get the draw to them. I think they are a great complement to the Usher sound and have likely found their place in a second system. I just hope my wife doesn't read that; I really don't feel like being castrated tonight.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (10)

If you do all of those upgrades, consider getting Myesound stands for them.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I thought the fuse bypass was standard fare on all Maggies, but will defer to John. I know on my 1.6 it made a noticeable difference.

That model is a great place to start with Magnepan, especially since you already have good amplification. I do agree with Mark though in that the newer models do sound 'better'. What you tend to get as you move forward in time is the same classic Magnepan sound but with better dynamics and detail. I'm considering trying the 1.7 myself to see how they compare to my 1.6.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

The 1.7s do sound great, and they are a great value for what they offer; especially without a true ribbon, and being near the middle of the Maggie options.

I'm trying to find a permanent home for them now and getting a bit of reluctance from the wife. I'm interested in moving up the chain there since I'm content with the Usher system right now. First things first, I need to buy some cables from Doug, so these will have to hold me over for a few years until I can afford some new, bigger brothers.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

LOL, well if your wife is reluctant on those she's not gonna like the higher models. She would absolutely HATE my setup. What you do is bring her over to our place and see this setup, then when you're back at home yours don't seem so bad
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Starting the "razor" project now.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  479.7 KB

24 hours later, one speaker is done. This is brutal, but I've finally gotten a system down that makes it bearable. Going to throw the modded one in with the untouched one to see if I like it. The delamination is very limited, basically only noticeable around the dot/screw in the middle of the speaker. I forgot to pick up the stuff to fix it today, but will fix it before they get completely back together. Has anyone tested reversing the panel and having the Mylar facing forward? Seen elsewhere where it is a beneficial mod.

Views: 615
Size:  346.8 KB

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Go to P. Gunn's site, if you haven't already, with my 2.7's when he "Gunn's" them they get reversed. After several emails with him I was able to coax the schematic's for his crossovers out of him. Mine are torn down and hopefully I can build the Maple frames, stands and pt-2-pt crossovers this winter. I couldn't believe they sound as good as they do stock when I saw the factory crossovers.
    Attached Images  

I'll be honest, these had me a little flustered since I paid so little for them and they sounded so good, given I dropped so much on monos that won't pair well with them. Even being 25 years old (laminate date in '88), they are exceptional. Problem is having a place they can work well in. I plan on going pretty much all out on these since the investment is so small, as long as you are willing to put the work in yourself.

I've never heard women sound this good, especially with concert tracks. Florence and Norah simply come alive with them.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

There are only a handful of speakers that do female vocals really well and spot on, Maggies are one of those. Acoustic music sounds fantastic as well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

looks like patience is working out...great job

Maybe we can do a set-up at LSAF next year if you don't flip'em Russ Jr..no offense Russman see you soon bro
    Last edited by txcoastal1; 08-25-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    looks like patience is working out...great job

Maybe we can do a set-up at LSAF next year if you don't flip'em Russ Jr..
    If I still have these that time next year, they will likely be the speaker making an appearance. They will be completely modded by then too, so they should be at their best for the show.

no offense Russman see you soon bro
    I think you got that backwards bud.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    If I still have these that time next year, they will likely be the speaker making an appearance. They will be completely modded by then too, so they should be at their best for the show.

That would be cool

I think you got that backwards bud.
    We could be all offended if you joined us at RMAF
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

We could be all offended if you joined us at RMAF
    Go away...

Starting the "razor" project now.

Attachment 89059
    Skip, I am curious what the purpose of the "razor" project is? Are you removing the covering to patch some buzzing (i.e. relaminating them) or are you doing something else?

I ask because my wife is in LOVE with Maggies and eventually we will have a pair or two but I got lots of learning to do as far as what can be done to em.

I also want to wait for the "right" pair to show up for me to mod like you.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

The razor project is simply cutting very small slivers of dynamat and applying it to the metal "vent" on the front-side. You obviously have to be careful to not cover the holes, and the slivers have to be about 1/8" to 1/4" thick, depending on which part of the panel you are doing. I hooked it up last night and noticed a little more detail as well as a wider soundstage from the left speaker. That speaker seemed quite a bit more transparent than it had prior as well.

It's not a project for the light-hearted and impatient. Between the two speakers, you are cutting 150+ small slivers of dynamat.

Edit: It's not a difficult project, just tedious.
    Last edited by DSkip; 08-26-2013 at 10:50 AM.

They have officially moved the ushers to my side of the room for the time being. I'm trying to get a feel for what they are really able to do with a better setup. What is evident is that they really need some power behind them to open up: the monos just don't do it. They are definitely nowhere near as detailed as the ushers, but they are providing more depth to the music than I've ever heard before. Bass isn't as bad as many make it out to be as long as there is decent power behind them. Sorry Dan, but your gangsta rap ain't going to fly on them though.

I think for me, I see two systems in my future for a long time. I never thought I'd own two pairs of speakers again, but these have changed my mind. I'm really looking forward to the remaining tweaks.

Views: 624
Size:  516.8 KB

Sorry Dan, but your gangsta rap ain't going to fly on them though.
    I dunno, we put some Eminem and Lady Gaga (ON LP NO LESS) through Johns MMG's , and it didnt sound tooo bad . But I do agree, they will not do rap so well, but thats OK. They do lack a visceral punch to your guy you get from coffin speakers, but they make up for it with imaging and depth in spades.

I dont listen to rap as much as I used to. Dubstep sounds great through my RTA's and LSi's

I will own a set of Maggies someday. I would prefer a set of 1.7 or 2.7's or some of the older ones like yours. My wife approves of them as well so thats one battle less to fight. She actually keeps mentioning buying some when we have money to do so . And I will have my Carver 1.0t to drive them as well.

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (37)

A nice Carver tfm-45 or 55 sounds like just what you need

That does look like an extremely tedious job. Nice work. Can't wait to hear them.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

When I head back, will have to stop by and give these a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by PSOVLSK View Post
    A nice Carver tfm-45 or 55 sounds like just what you need

That does look like an extremely tedious job. Nice work. Can't wait to hear them.
    I would concur with that. That amp was made for the low ohm load of a set of Maggies.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Sorry Dan, but your gangsta rap ain't going to fly on them though.
    Yo, stick some subs in and make Dan happy!
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    You just wait next RAS I am going out of my way to make sure all my music selections are rap based just for daboyz... And I will video tape it incase he cant make it ...

Now back to talking about Skip's sexy Maggies....

He inspired me to do a CL search to see if there are any potential Maggie projects local for a decent price.... Answer not really........ So I will keep waiting

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Kind of wish i still had that mp2k to see how they mated.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    You just wait next RAS I am going out of my way to make sure all my music selections are rap based just for daboyz... And I will video tape it incase he cant make it ...
    Dave loves rap! Not sure where you got the idea he doesn't....
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3