Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Headphone cord - How do you wrap yours?

So I got some really nice headphones for work (DT770's). Problem is they have like a 2 million foot cord and I dont need all of it out while at work.

How are you guys managing your headphone cord?

Google turned up a bunch of different options, all pretty cheap, but just curious whats folks are doing.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Good question. When I use my work setup I drap the headphone cord over my shoulder, but it invariably falls off. Sometimes it is more hassle than it is worth to use it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Don't DT770s have a "coiled" cord that takes up some of the slack? If not any of the above look like a solution if you're using these in a portable manner. If you're just at a desk I see little reason to bunch up the cord. I have some DT990s that are coiled and there is no problem with their length for desk use. I never use them outside.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Don't DT770s have a "coiled" cord that takes up some of the slack?
    Nope, not these ones. You may be thinking of the Audio Technica ATH-50M which has a coiled cord (as compared to the 50S model). These beyers have a cord like 10 feet long. I was just wondering what folks are using.

The options above would work, just curious what other options folks have used, maybe there is a nifty cool looking headphone cord wrap I haven't seen. And Cathy, bunching them up is a pain because I am up and down from my desk often, and right now I just use my iphone at work, so I want something that keeps the cord short enough I can just throw the phone in my pocket.

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

The AKGs do the coiled one too - you can swap them out.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I wrap the excess cord around the leg of my desk at work. A very rudimentary solution, but keeps me from getting the cable stuck in my chair wheels 3-4x a day.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post
    I wrap the excess cord around the leg of my desk at work. A very rudimentary solution, but keeps me from getting the cable stuck in my chair wheels 3-4x a day.
    Only works if your desk has legs Mine doesnt....

Bump, lets see what you guys have got.

Sales Rating
    Gear

My suggestion...wrap some of the cord around a large empty thread bobbin starting near the plug end for the audio device, secure with an elastic or two to hold the cord to the bobbin, plug into audio device...just a suggestion
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Only works if your desk has legs Mine doesnt....

Bump, lets see what you guys have got.
    What kinda crazy Narnia sh1t are you working with? Floating desks? Keyboards that do the work for you? Sign me up brother!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post
    What kinda crazy Narnia sh1t are you working with? Floating desks? Keyboards that do the work for you? Sign me up brother!
    Cubicles that have brackets that mount them into the wall. So no legs to wrap it around lol....

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Headphone amp is on my right, the cable snakes around behind my monitors and comes out to the left of them. Since the connection is on the left ear cup of my cans this works out great. Gives me enough slack such that I can move around or recline in my chair, but not so much that I don't know what to do with it all.

I am a big fan of bringing threads to a conclusion. As such I offer to you my probably solution to this problem. I plan on getting a medium and large pack as I can think of many other uses for these, mostly to organize my cables in boxes.

Cord wrap by bobino

Three different sizes:

Small (2.95): Bobino's flexible material and thin design make it perfect for quickly winding and unwinding mp3 and phone earbud cords.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cord-wrap-small-black_1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	90560

Medium (3.95): This size will organize most of your usb computer cables around your home or office.

Name:	cord-wrap-medium-black_1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	90558

Large (4.95) : Our large size is designed for slightly longer and thicker cords such as your laptop cable.

Name:	cord-wrap-large-black_1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	90559

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

I found the antique wooden spools provide a wider sound stage and tighter bass.

Name:  mY3JGFkQeZsJ8LmcObTOEiA.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  4.2 KB
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I have a pair of supra-aural headphones that have a detachable, and coiled cable. It makes them so much easier to use, and very hassle free!

I just wrap them around my hand and take em off. Not very pretty but gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    I am a big fan of bringing threads to a conclusion. As such I offer to you my probably solution to this problem. I plan on getting a medium and large pack as I can think of many other uses for these, mostly to organize my cables in boxes.

Cord wrap by bobino

Large (4.95) : Our large size is designed for slightly longer and thicker cords such as your laptop cable.
    Attachment 90559
    I'm a big fan of this post. I myself purchased the Audio-Technica straight-cable version, ATH-M50s, because I found it for a bigger discount a couple years back (nowhere as low as current pricing).

Suckers have a 3.5 m (11.0') cable! I'm thinking no one plugs a thick 11' cable into a laptop; well, maybe a USB DAC cable with 24 gauge silver w/shielding & split power from data?

I used to be handy with leather. Have some antelope horns, bison skulls, elk antlers gathering dust in the basement. Also some copperhead & massasauga skins, & rattles. My visualization skills are not what they used to be. Any idea what a Native American would've wrapped headphone cables around while on a buffalo hunt?

Thread Information