Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by PixelPusher View Post
    Thanks so much for the info guys! I ended up going with the XPA-3 from a guy on AVS (craigslist dude never responded) for $450. I really wanted to get something like Parasound or B&K but I am always a little scared getting something that old without seeing it.

Now I just need to set the theater up, can't wait!
    Welcome to the CP forum PP, too bad you didn't try and find an Emotiva right here being sold by a Club Polk member,
    they tend to show up quite often in the CP flea market.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

OP, welcome aboard. You'll notice right off that the word Emotiva affects some like the name Jesus; offense, anger and rejection.

Your XPA-3 works great with the speakers you have. An XPA-2 works even better in a 2ch configuration for those mains.

As far as speaker wire goes, the Monoprice 12awg I use is inexpensive and also works great.

With good speaker placement and set up, you'll be able to achieve a really great sound.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Think of powering your system like you do your household. Most people typically have 200amp service at their fuse box; it doesn't mean your using that much ampereage--it just means the "capability" exist. So, it's never a bad thing to have more reserve power--but it also may not be necessary. But--also keep in mind, you're limited by the gauge of wire, and outlet type (think: speakers) so just because you have an abundance of power available, it doesn't mean that the sky is the limit; you still have to stay within the constraints of the speakers maximum output SPL.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Yes, but access to that market is what 100 posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff4rfc View Post
    OP, welcome aboard. You'll notice right off that the word Emotiva affects some like the name Jesus; offense, anger and rejection.

Your XPA-3 works great with the speakers you have. An XPA-2 works even better in a 2ch configuration for those mains.

As far as speaker wire goes, the Monoprice 12awg I use is inexpensive and also works great.

With good speaker placement and set up, you'll be able to achieve a really great sound.
    Well Emotiva may elicit some emotion on the board but if you tell them you want to use a Crown xls, get popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelfisch View Post
    Yes, but access to that market is what 100 posts?
    So post something, but not "I agree." 100 times.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelfisch View Post
    Well Emotiva may elicit some emotion on the board but if you tell them you want to use a Crown xls, get popcorn

You find that unusual ? What do you expect from a bunch of audio nuts who have been down those roads before ? Surely your not expecting people here to just agree with everything.

I liken it to going on a carpenters forum and telling them this new plastic hammer is the bomb. Ya think someone may disagree ?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    You find that unusual ? What do you expect from a bunch of audio nuts who have been down those roads before ? Surely your not expecting people here to just agree with everything.

I liken it to going on a carpenters forum and telling them this new plastic hammer is the bomb. Ya think someone may disagree ?
    It may be more of debating the merit of hammer size. We would have less argument if it was possible to demo the equipment in the current state of affairs most of the time you roll the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post

It's like going on a carpenters forum and telling them this new plastic hammer is the bomb. Ya think someone may disagree ?
    I just happen to have a bullet proof plastic, steel filled hammer
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Since I have the RTi10 and B&K combo I will comment on the sound. I would not expect the amp or cables to turn the RTi10s into a laid back speaker. The amp does help the brightness a little and the bass was improved in my system but they are still a bright speaker especially when pushed. I also use Audioquest cables throughout that are supposed to be more laid back. At low to mid volume levels they are fine but when pushed past mid volume they sound compressed and very bright. My next move will be to a speaker with a ring tweeter, like the LSiM, which I prefer.
    Last edited by MADGSF; 08-09-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I am excited to get the amp and see what I think. I haven't been fortunate enough to hear much higher-end audio equipment other than crazy expensive systems that I know i'll never be able to afford so getting any dedicated amp will be a big jump for me so it can only get better, right? :) I will post back my impressions when I get the amp, it should arrive on Monday.

I wish I could have access to the classifieds here, there seems to be some good stuff on here. But I need 84 posts after this one and I don't think the mods will appreciate me flaming the forum with spam ;)

Quote Originally Posted by PixelPusher View Post
    I don't think the mods will appreciate me flaming the forum with spam ;)
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    Welcome to the CP forum PP, too bad you didn't try and find an Emotiva right here being sold by a Club Polk member,
    they tend to show up quite often in the CP flea market.
    You probably don't remember, Polki2009, but there is a minimum number of posts before even being able to read the flea market or other sales forums. Neither Pixel nor I have met it yet. (But I'm one post closer...)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Lol, sorry, I try to encourage newbies to participate in the forum and get their post count up to where they can see what's available in the flea market. I just saw that an Emotiva amp sold the other day. thanks for joining CP here Kurt, that 100 post count will be here before ya know it!

Thread Information