Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default New to forum, 1st post, 1st pair of Polks, magnet shift on early Monitor 4's

Hey all!

Just picked up my 1st pair of vintage Polk's. Early Monitor 4's with the Peerless tweeters (1983). I'm a vintage nut and was looking for a small pair of speakers for late night bedroom listening. These little mini-Polk's were so cute I couldn't resist.

Anyway, the seller was up front that one speaker sounded weak. I did some research and realized it probably had a shifted magnet. Sho'nuff one of the woofers (if you can call 6.5" a woofer) was completely frozen. Picked them up for $20. Otherwise in pretty decent shape.

Got them home and within a few minutes had successfully removed the magnet (thanks to earlier research). VC looked pretty good and was still centered on the Front plate.

Unfortunately I broke the magnet trying to separate it from the Back Plate. I am pretty confident I can build a jig to get it all back together if I can find a magnet for the driver. Otherwise, I will need to hunt up a MW6500

SInce this is my 1st post here I cannot access the 4-sale ads yet. I doubt I would find a stray magnet listed on Ebay. Without violating any forum rules, is there anywhere I should be looking for a magnet from a dead speaker? Other than asking here? Or is there a source other than Ebay where I might find a good MW6500 driver?

I'm a full time college student, and money is really tight. But I'm hoping to get these speakers back up and running so I can l listen to subliminal suggestion study guides! LOL

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Welcome to Club Polk!

Why don't you give Polk customer service a call and see what they might have in their stash, or not? I know that old tweeters have RD-0194 and RD-0198 replacements that Polk still sells. Not sure what the story is on the 6X00 series mids. There was a run of replacements mid-woofers that were made at least into the mid decade (2004 or so).

In the meantime...keep posting!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I don't have the answer to you question, but welcome to Club Polk.

Stick around and get involved...its a great place to be.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Welcome! I have seen various polk drivers on ebay. What will you be powering them with?
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by deronb1 View Post
    Welcome! I have seen various polk drivers on ebay. What will you be powering them with?
    I have a vintage Pioneer SX-650 on loan out to a friend. Probably ask for it back, or look for similar during the rest of garage sale season. Perfect for bedroom listening. Also have an ADVENT 300 that needs repair.

In my living room I have a 1972 Hitachi IA-1000 integrated driving a pair of ADS L-570's. Sweet sounding set up.

How about this, you give me your Monitor 4's in their condition and I'll give you a pair of Monitor 4's with SL1500 and working woofers.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Welcome to Club Polk. As others have mentioned, eBay is your best bet for the MW6500s. Do a search, and save it, then hit eBay every day, they'll pop up. Be sure to speak directly with the seller, and make sure he/she understands how fragile the Polk drivers are, and that they must be packed carefully.
    When you do find one, make sure you glue the magnets on both woofers.
    Polk Customer Service may have a new replacement driver, and it will perform the same, but will not match the look of the other driver.
    The 4s with the Peerless are keepers.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Thread Information