Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Dynamat on Pre/Amps

So I picked up a trunk kit recently from craigslist for $30, expecting to use this on my preamp, power amps, and speakers. Well, I couldn't figure out how to drop the driver out of the speaker last night and didn't prod too much in fear of scratching the finish on them. I did however get it applied to the Shuguangs. This has undoubtedly improved overall SQ. While I lost a bit of air that I had before, there is more texture to all notes, so much so that stuff I never really equated to an instrument are now plain as day coming from an instrument. I was listening to I think track 5 on the Gladiator Soundtrack and there is this long note that was always monotone, never changing in any way. Now, you can hear the fluctuation of that note while its being played. The soundstage became more three-dimensional as well, but it seems width stayed about the same. There was a slight increase in imaging, but again the biggest change was just overall detail.

By far the most noticeable improvement is in the bass notes. The Usher's still pressurize the room, but it seems this application sucked up the midbass hump they had that overpowered the room. Bass notes have much more texture to them, and I'm even noticing differences in drums that I never noticed before. I highly recommend this mod for those looking for cheap ways to improve their game. I used between 3 and 4 sq ft of dynamat for all three pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image(0).jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	88586

Name:	image(1).jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	88587

Name:	image(2).jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	88588

Name:	image(3).jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	88589

Name:	image(4).jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	88590

Name:	image(5).jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	88591
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (13)

My rule around here, if it rings when pinged it gets Dynamat Extreme applied.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Nice tweak. I may do my CDP and add a little to the factory installed stuff in my pre and PA.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Great advice and it's a cheap tweak. I also dynamat'ed the chassis of my PC, and was blown away by the drop in operating noise.

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    Great advice and it's a cheap tweak. I also dynamat'ed the chassis of my PC, and was blown away by the drop in operating noise.
    Interesting. Did you notice if your computer got hotter as a result (tinfoil reflecting heat inside). I used AcoustiPak stuff myself which is also noise dampening like dynamat but with a different composition.

I am now going to look at buying a large amount of it since I need to do my 11TL's, Denon 3910, 51FD, and heck even try my Sunfire TGP-II or Integra DTR 5.9....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Interesting. Did you notice if your computer got hotter as a result (tinfoil reflecting heat inside).
    Nope, because it's just going over sheet metal anyway; no more loose metal panels, much less noise!

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Applied Dynamat Extreme to the chassis of my Dodd Tube Buffer Preamp last night and it feels much more solid. No more chassis ring or ting, and I also applied foam insulation strips in places where the top and bottom pieces of the chassis meet.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I remember when I applied Dynamat to every inch of the baskets on my SRS2's. Jesse saw my beautiful work and laughed at me stating something to the effect of you didn't have to cove the entire basket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm too lazy to find the pictures and post.

Did my DAC inside when i modded it as well as under my TT. Plus speakers of coursr. I a believer!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

I have dynamatted every inch of open space on my componnents and drives in my players. The results are just incredible. the drawer on my Denon 2910 and 3910 are so quiet now and there is very little jitter in the signal now. I personaly find it to be one of the cheapest mods you can do with results that stun you.
    2 CHANNEL
    Belkin PF31Pure power/AV Conditioner
    Jolida 202 Int Amp,PS Audio Delta 200 Power Amp Emotiva USP 1Pre Amp
    Cambridge Audio T-650 AM/FM/Sirius Tuner
    Cambridge Audio Sonota NP30 Streaming Audio Player
    Pioneer PL 570 DD Turntable
    Ortofon Red Cartridge
    Calabrine Quadio Ultra Speaker Cables
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects
    Denon 2910 DVD-A/SACD Player
    Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus
    Pangea SE 14 & AC9 Power Cords