Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 1st "non-packaged" setup - Need Help

Hey guys,

First post here. I've been reading forum after forum for a setup. I get some of the stuff, but alot of it is WAAAY over my head. My past experience with home audio surround sound has been the prepackaged samsung units, etc. I'm looking to take the next step up.

Obviously I would love to jump in and get all high end pieces for my setup, but I'd like to start out slow and work my way up. I'd like to take advantage of the 50% sale that ends today. Won't be able to get everything today, but would like to grab a couple pieces.

Can you guys tell me if these pieces "fit" together ok? I don't have a reciever picked out yet. I was look at getting the center and rear bookshelf speakers today. Appreciate your help!!

Here's what I was looking at:

Front - Monitor 70's in Polk eBay store $375
    Bass - PSW 125 in eBay store $230
    Rear - RTiA1 Bookshelf - $162 - 50% off sale that ends today
    Center - CSiA6 - $200 - 50% off sale that ends today

The fronts and center channel should be timbre matched. The RTI A series sounds different from the Monitor series, so a better choice than the Monitor 70's would be something else from the RTI A series. I would recommend looking at A5' or 7's, unless you plan on adding an amp in the future. The A9's like a lot of power.

I would also recommend looking at a more robust sub. The Polk DSW or Micro-pro series, or a different manufacturer like SVS, HSU, or others. Lots of sub info out there.

Would be good to know budget, room size, and what systems you have heard that you really liked.

Sorry; forgot my manners. Welcome to Club Polk.

you can get Rti A9's at the sale, and the sub there too...

What is your budget for a receiver, cables and source (blu ray)
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Current room size is 15x13. That may change in a year or two if we move. I'll mostly be using the setup for movies and PS3.

Hmmm...budget....well, as high as possible, but low enough for my wife not to question it. Realistically, I was hoping to get speakers for $1k, and a receiver for $250ish? Not sure if this is feasible, just guessing right now.

So perhaps, I'll go with the RTiA5's from the sale today. Then get the bookshelfs and centers later off the ebay store.

Running the RTI A5's with the CSI A4, and sounds pretty good to me. Just a thought if you're on a tight budget.

bcurrey,

$250 is very low for a receiver, so I would definitely go the A5 and A4 route. Maybe find a great pre-owned receiver on craigslist or ebay for that price otherwise I think that you will most likely wasting your money.
    Sharp LC-80uq17u
    Denon 3808ci Receiver
    OPPO BDP-93 Blu-Ray Disc Player
    Monster HTS 3600
    Polk RTi-a7 (fronts)
    Polk CSi-a6 (Center)
    Polk TC-60i (Rear & Surround Rear)
    HSU Research VTF3-MK4 (Sub)
    Logitech Harmony 900 (Remote)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
    bcurrey,

$250 is very low for a receiver, so I would definitely go the A5 and A4 route. Maybe find a great pre-owned receiver on craigslist or ebay for that price otherwise I think that you will most likely wasting your money.
    Bcurry, As for an AVR, keep an eye open for a minty used one in the CP flea market. You'll need to have 100 posts to do this,but you'll be glad you bought from a fellow member instead from Ebay or CL. Look at AVR brands like Pioneer Elite, Denon, B&K, Rotel,Yamaha, make sure that the model of AVR has PREOUTS, this will allow you to upgrade your system to use separate power amps. You may end up having to pay a bit more than $250.00 , but you'll be glad you did in the long run. Welcome to the journey and to CP!

Perfect. Much appreciate all the quick responses today. I'll definately start looking around at AVR's with preouts. I see the brands listed by Polkie. Any specific models you guys can recommend?

Get yourself The RTIA5's the RTIA1's or A3's along with a CSIA4 center while they are all on sale then save for a Pioneer Elite for your AVR with the money you save on the speaker sale use that towards a sub I am quite happy with a PSW111 but that's just me. Welcome to the club and keep us informed on your decision

Shop used for a receiver. You can often find damn nice ones at 20-30% of original msrp, and still 98% of the bells and whistles current models offer.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Amazing. Add the A5's to my cart. Click on my cart, and the site is dead. Redirects back to the main polk site.

Don't let that discourage you even if they are no longer on sale the A5's along with A3's or A1's with that CSIA4 is a pretty sweet setup.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

BCurry, you might try calling Polk this morning and explain to them you tried ordering yesterday and couldn't get through.

Thread Information