Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default My PFB moment...

Well guys, I finally had a PFB moment I will not soon forget. We have been struggling with cell reception here at the house for some time, so I finally got a signal enhancer from our service provider and set about plugging it into our network. I set everything up and it worked well.

The device was placed on top of our fireplace mantle as it needs to be up high to function correctly. While we were asleep, the cat and dog decide to chase one another around the house, and one of them gets tangled up in one of the cords, pulling the device off the mantle.... and onto one of my amps!

I lost a couple tubes, which were easy to replace, but the transformer cover will need to be repainted by a local body shop. I will lose the inscription Bob signed on the back, but thank god I built them as strong as I did or the damage would have been much worse. It does not show in the picture very well, but there are two small dents in the cover, otherwise I would just buff this out, because the damage never got through the clear coat....
    Attached Images  
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Ouch!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I would probably just clean them up as best as you could and keep the Carver inscription rather than loose it in the repainting.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Did you know that pfb is a really bad speller?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8__o9G1ieJI

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Sorry about the accident John.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sorry to hear that John.

See, Emo Kitty strikes again. Dogs are good judges of character, and yours just happened to see right threw that Emo kitty pretending to be a regular house cat.

Hopefully a easy repair. Things just happen. Even when trying to avoid
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

I hear that cat skin transformer covers are the next big thing! Just a thought!
    Source: Technics SL1200MKII Denon DL-110 cartridge
    Preamp: Hagerman Bugle Phono stage
    Amplifier: 4 x 5670 4 x EL34 integrated VAL VP110S (modified w/ vitamin Q caps, Alps blue velvet volume control, Vishay mil spec. metal film resistors..............)
    Speakers: Polk SDA 1A Signature

John, here's the important question...

You had both a cat and a dog when this happened. Do you still have a cat and a dog, or is one of them MIA all of a sudden
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Anyway a brick fireplace mantle is a poor place for a signal booster. High frequency radio waves struggle to get through thick brick walls.

Quote Originally Posted by jbooker82 View Post
    I would probably just clean them up as best as you could and keep the Carver inscription rather than loose it in the repainting.
    ^^^ Seconded - with the clear coat intact a little dent or two + Bob's sig gives it character.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

I don't know guys, John and Bob Carver hook up every Sunday to take in an afternoon show, share a bucket of popcorn. It would be easy for him to get another sig.

All kidding aside. I think that a professional auto detailer could fill the nicks with paint (hopefully you have some left over from the build) and buff it out so that the scratches would be tough to see without close up inspection. They use a single hair brush to fill small scratches. They build it up a little at a time until they have enough material to match the thickness of the original paint. Then they wet sand with 1000 grit followed by a buffing process. The dent may be popped out to some extent as well using paintless dent removal methods. I had this detail work done to my truck, and the results were fantastic! Door dings were gone, and many of the nicks, scratches, and chips were not detectable.
    Amplifier: 4 x 5670 4 x EL34 integrated VAL VP110S (modified w/ vitamin Q caps, Alps blue velvet volume control, Vishay mil spec. metal film resistors..............)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    All kidding aside. I think that a professional auto detailer could fill the nicks with paint (hopefully you have some left over from the build) and buff it out so that the scratches would be tough to see without close up inspection. They use a single hair brush to fill small scratches. They build it up a little at a time until they have enough material to match the thickness of the original paint. Then they wet sand with 1000 grit followed by a buffing process. The dent may be popped out to some extent as well using paintless dent removal methods. I had this detail work done to my truck, and the results were fantastic! Door dings were gone, and many of the nicks, scratches, and chips were not detectable.
    +1 If not this they may be able to do a partial paint, and either burn in the clear at one of the curves or just clear over the sig. I'll think you should be able to save the sig one way or another...

Maybe it's an opportunity to customize even more. How about a nice piece of cherry wood on the top with the word "Carver" burnt into the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Maybe it's an opportunity to customize even more. How about a nice piece of cherry wood on the top with the word "Carver" burnt into the wood.
    Ummmm... No, but thanks for the suggestion.

Two estimates so far put the price at 400.00 to repaint. At this time , not really an option. Paintless dent removal is also out due to the thickness of the material. I am thinking about using a two tone approach that would use a contrast color on the tops of both covers. This was I don't have to rework the whole thing, but any descision made will be a ways off and done with extreme caution.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Ok, big guy....another idea. Have someone airbrush your favorite album cover on the top. Now that might look cool.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Pioneer 59AVI
    Pioneer BDP 320
    50 in. Pioneer Kuro pdp 5010
    FX 500 surround
    Reality cables
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Cary Xciter dac

Ok, big guy....another idea. Have someone airbrush your favorite album cover on the top. Now that might look cool.
    How about a portrait of Bob Carver instead .... that would make it even better....

Besides the album cover for "Whenever You Need Somebody" by Rick Astley wouldn't look good, nor would "Playing with Fire" by Kevin Federline

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Ummmm... No, but thanks for the suggestion.

Two estimates so far put the price at 400.00 to repaint. At this time , not really an option. Paintless dent removal is also out due to the thickness of the material. I am thinking about using a two tone approach that would use a contrast color on the tops of both covers. This was I don't have to rework the whole thing, but any descision made will be a ways off and done with extreme caution.
    $400 for a repaint is just crazy! I had my whole truck detailed as described for just under $200 and that included steam cleaning the interior! This should be less than $100 (IMHO) based on my experience with detailers. Prices like $400 are "We aren't interested" numbers! Keep looking, and you will find someone who needs and wants the work.

The cover is in the shop now.... after careful consideration, I have decided to restore it, and if it needs to be sent to Bob for a new signature, so be it. I have way too much blood, sweat and tears in these amps to NOT get it fixed. The shop that does the work for my dealership is going to do it for the princely sum of pay the painter a hundred bucks and a 12 pack of Corona and all is good.

I compare this to finally getting your dream muscle-car fully restored and some kid dings the door with his bicycle or something. On the surface, you would try and be cool, but inside every time you look at that spot, it would drive you nuts. I get it back in a week.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Shoot, I would have just put a potted plant on it to cover it up.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    The cover is in the shop now.... after careful consideration, I have decided to restore it, and if it needs to be sent to Bob for a new signature, so be it. I have way too much blood, sweat and tears in these amps to NOT get it fixed. The shop that does the work for my dealership is going to do it for the princely sum of pay the painter a hundred bucks and a 12 pack of Corona and all is good.

I compare this to finally getting your dream muscle-car fully restored and some kid dings the door with his bicycle or something. On the surface, you would try and be cool, but inside every time you look at that spot, it would drive you nuts. I get it back in a week.
    That is awesome! Definitely the right decision. I'd hate to see you settle, knowing that it was not right.

You should send the other cover, too! This way the painter can compare his results to the original. The paint appears to be a metallic finish, and as such, it matters how it is applied for the metallic flakes to reflect in the same direction. If it is not applied the same, it may appear lighter or darker as compared to the original paint job. Good luck!

Great news... I made the right call in getting the cover fixed. The shop expertly matched the color so that even I cannot tell what was original and what was not. They were able to use the curves on the front and back to feather the new paint into the original color, as well as perfectly match the mica content of the paint and the way it lays down so light refraction is an exact match.

The best part is the original signature and pinstripe are untouched!

Will post a pick or two before I put the cover back on.

Ah good, you found a shop that wanted the work and also cared enough to retain the important touches, so hard nowadays...I am a licensed mechanic...and take great pride in my work regardless of if the job is a simple oil change or say a subframe replacement, pride is where it counts.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

That is great! Now you need a way to keep it from happening again! Cat repellent?

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    That is great! Now you need a way to keep it from happening again! Cat repellent?
    No cat.... or no dog.... whichever you love more

Sales Rating
    Gear

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

No pets here, boys! No worries, no duties, no walking anything, no feeding, no cleaning up after, no accidents. PRICELESS!

I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today because every post I've made is that of a crotchety old man?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today because every post I've made is that of a crotchety old man?

cnh
    Know what ? Your allowed my friend. God knows I have those days too and more than I care to admit.

I guess John is now an official member of the PFB fan club. A t-shirt John, is right up your alley. Put in your order and color preferences early, I have a feeling they'll sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    No pets here, boys! No worries, no duties, no walking anything, no feeding, no cleaning up after, no accidents. PRICELESS!

cnh
    now that there is funny ROLMAO. Carry on. Glad you were able to save the signature :)
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Know what ? Your allowed my friend. God knows I have those days too and more than I care to admit.

I guess John is now an official member of the PFB fan club. A t-shirt John, is right up your alley. Put in your order and color preferences early, I have a feeling they'll sell like hotcakes.
    I was going to join actually until I found out I would have to dress like Elton John for the annual PFB weenie roasts...

Thread Information