Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RTA 11TLs vs. PSB T6

I am setting up a 2 channel system and was convinced that my 20+ year old RTAs were outdated and I would benefit from modern speakers. Got a good deal on some PSBs and thought they sounded better at the store than my RTAs but after getting them home and trying to convince myself that they sound better I decided to switch back to the RTAs to prove it. Don't know if my ears are just conditioned to the old Polk sound but IMO 20+ year old RTAs were much better. The PSBs have almost the same driver compliment as the RTAs except that they are ported and have a 5.25 mid on top of the two 6.5s. The RTAs seem to play the low bass and bass drums alot cleaner. The mids and highs are sharper and snare drums sound more snappy. I guess old and outdated does not mean inferior or that 20 yrs of technology will automatically make for a better sounding speaker. How will the RDO 198 upgrade change the sound of the RTA 11? Any opinions or theories welcomed. Thank You

Member Sales Rating: (12)

The 87 turbo T doesn't happen to be a Buick, is it?

The 198's will be a major improvement. Upgrade the crossovers and you will be amazed at how much better they can be than the ones you bought to replace them. I would take them back, assuming you can, and invest the coin in the upgrades, You can thank me later...

Welcome to Club Polk...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Hi Nooshin, Yes you are correct about the Buick. 45000 miles and Astro Roof. Cars have been my passion next to HiFi since high school. Also have 68 SS Chevelle L88 427 factory A/C, 69 SS Elcamino 396 4 sp.,85 Elcamino 383 sb, and a 81 Malibu 355. Thanks for the advice on the speaker mods. What kind of upgrades can be done for the xovers? Will try the PSBs with HT set up and see how that goes. Can't return them as it was a CL deal and I need something to replace the 11TLs iin HT setup.

There is a large collection of threads touching on mods for sda and monitor speakers. Outside of the actual sda technology, any mod done to these speakers can be done to yours.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I'm fairly certain the guy who runs this http://www.vr3mods.com/Home.html would know what to do with the crossovers if you did the tweeter upgrade.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

87turboT, are your RTA 11s Ts or TLs? If they're Ts the RDO-194-1 are drop-in replacements for the SL2000s. If they're TLs then the RDO-198-1s are the correct replacements. If they are Ts, not TLs, they can be modified. See the rta11t_rev and rta11tl_rev2 schematics here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ELS-except-SDA
    If you have basic soldering skills, you can do the crossover upgrade work yourself. If not, Trey/VR3mods, myself, and several other members can do the work for you. There are other modifications that can be done, such as Dynamatting, and gluing the magnet assemblies on the drivers, installing Hurricane Nuts and Machine Screws, or Larry's Rings for all the drivers, repositioning the internal Dacron batting, adding Blackhole 5, Spikes etc.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Member Sales Rating: (20)

The T6 certainly aren't as crisp sounding as the Polk, but I find them to have a more natural sound to them, that PSB is still one of my favorite speakers in that price range.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Thanks guys for all the info on the ugrades and mods. Westmass guy, Speakers are TLs with kinda gold tinged tweets. Tag on the back says RTA 11TL. Think I'll try the RDO 198s as it is the least complicated. Does the electronics in a xover go bad over time? How much would the parts and labor cost to freshen up a pair of xovers so it can go another 20 yrs. Is there a post showing pictures of these upgrades as I am new to this but would like to learn how and what can be done. Thanks Again

I am trying the PSBs in a HT set up and they seem to be better suited to this IMO. Seems like the sub rounds it out for my taste. Don't know if the ported design causes lack of impact. They play loud and low but just don't have the punch like the RTA 11TLs. Scored these half price in excelent condition and less than a year old intending to use them for a 2 channel rig but I went back to the Polks.

Quote Originally Posted by 87turboT View Post
    Thanks guys for all the info on the ugrades and mods. Westmass guy, Speakers are TLs with kinda gold tinged tweets. Tag on the back says RTA 11TL. Think I'll try the RDO 198s as it is the least complicated. Does the electronics in a xover go bad over time? How much would the parts and labor cost to freshen up a pair of xovers so it can go another 20 yrs. Is there a post showing pictures of these upgrades as I am new to this but would like to learn how and what can be done. Thanks Again
    The 198s will give you instant gratification. They're far superior to the SL3000s. The crossovers were made with Mylar Film caps in the hi-pass/tweeter section, which don't age, and possibly NP Electrolytics which do age and dry out. Both types have been surpassed by Metalized Polypropylenes for sound quality. There are also Sandcast Resistors, which are inferior to modern Audio Grade Resistors. The woofer/lo-pass section most likely contains strictly NP Electrolytics. which do age. You don't have enough posts to PM anyone. I'll PM you, or you can reach me through my website.

^^^ This - WMG knows what he's talking about. Upgrading the caps and resistors in your Xovers will take those speakers to a much higher level of sound quality.

Welcome to CP!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

I've got a pair of RTA-11TLs that are currently being used as my front left and right in my HT setup. So far I have been quite impressed with them in this role. They center is a Polk Audio CS245i. I've got a pair of RDO-198s that I will be putting in them sometime this week and giving them a listen.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Thread Information