Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Thumbs up I'm back in the family...

After a bit of a hunt, last night I brought home a very nice pair of 1986 SDA SRS 2 speakers. These are the SDA speakers I've always been the most interested in as they are a little smaller than the full SRSs, but still have the same driver layout unlike the 1Cs. They are completely stock, and in very good condition except for a small snag in the lower grill cloth on the left speaker. The wood on both is almost perfect without any water stains or scratches, and drivers all appear to be perfect. They came with the original blade-blade interconnect, and have the first, non-biwire binding post cup. I have yet to give them a listen in my system as I got home late from the pick-up, but I'm excited to hear what my 400wpc, class-D Gary Dodd amp will do with these speakers. My last pair of SDAs was CRS+ that I turned into 4.1TLs, so these should provide me with a nice listening experience. These are the tallest speakers I've had in my system, but they are not as deep as some others, so placement is actually easier as I don't have to bring them out into the room. I'll probably need to adjust placement a little based on listening and bass response, but I currently have them set-up in what seems to be the ideal placement for my room based on my SDA experience.

The gentleman who was selling them was downsizing, and had them on furniture carpet sliders, so all eight feet are even in good condition. I though I was getting a good deal, until he surprised me by handing me a file folder which included the original laminated brochures and paperwork from Polk! I know I'll be opening them up for a fair bit of upgrades to bring the sound quality a little more current, but I almost feel bad with a minty pair of speakers like these that include the original paperwork!

These pictures are from the sellers house, but I'll snap some more of them in my rig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Bottom.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	88780Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Top.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	88779Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Top.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	88781Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Bottom.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	88782

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Welcome Back! I'm sure you're going to enjoy them! Keep us updated!!

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Welcome back, congrats!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Once you're in the family, you can't leave unless the family takes you out. Nice pick up, hope you have a great time with them.

Welcome Back also & those look beautiful-enjoy your new2u speakers & its alway nice to get paperwork with them too :)
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Welcome back to the family, Jake.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Very nice Jake,enjoy.

Audiophile

Thanks all!
    About to head home and sit on the couch to stare at these sexy beasts; and maybe play some music... :)

Hey Jake congrats on your SDA's, thanks to people such as yourself they are back in the family. You can also stare and listen at the same time. I take it you did not get those CF-3's did you even give them a listen?

Were those the ones here in Des Moines? I saw some on CL very recently that looked quite decent.

I'm like you, these interest me more than the full-size SRS's. My SRS2's will go to the grave with me....

Geoff
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Monitor 4.6
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...vol&1290711373

Those are beautiful! Congrats,one of these days I'm gonna get me a pair of these! Very nice!

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Nice. Congrats!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Very nice grab you got Jake. Previous owners who care for the equpment are always a joy to buy from.
    Strictly 2 channel
    Rotel RC-1550 pre
    Rotel RB-1582 amp
    Catcables Kingcats ICs
    APC S-20 line conditioner
    B&W N804 mains
    B&W ASW800 sub
    Rotel RCC-1055 changer
    Denon DVD 1000

Listening Room:
    McIntosh C2300 preamp
    McIntosh MC452 amp
    McIntosh MCD-500 SACD player
    AQ Colorado XLR ICs
    AQ Columbia ICs
    APC H-15 line conditioner
    Sonus faber Auditor M speakers w/stands
    REL B1 subwoofer
    Rega P9 w/Lyra Delos
    Pioneer RT-707 R2R
    Zu power cables & XLRs

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    After a bit of a hunt, last night I brought home a very nice pair of 1986 SDA SRS 2 speakers. These are the SDA speakers I've always been the most interested in as they are a little smaller than the full SRSs, but still have the same driver layout unlike the 1Cs...
    ...They came with the original blade-blade interconnect, and have the first, non-biwire binding post cup.
    SDA 2 blade/blade is based on SDA 1B drivers/electronics, not 1C.

Upgrade to RD0198s by removing the 4.4uF capacitor on each HF circuit board, replacing with a 5.8uF cap (5.6uF is easier to find, and within 5%) and buying the '198s. This mod pioneered by our member inspiredsports.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ght=parts+list

Of course, pretty much all the other typical mods and repairs are recommended.

The only real drawback to these speakers is the common-ground amplifier requirement.

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by gudnoyez View Post
    I take it you did not get those CF-3's did you even give them a listen?
    The CF3s were some of the best Klipsch speakers I've heard, but I didn't have the right gear to make them shine, and didn't want to sell my Dodd combo. They also only went to 35Hz, and I wanted a speaker that was solid to 25Hz... Anybody want a subwoofer?

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by geoff727 View Post
    Were those the ones here in Des Moines? I saw some on CL very recently that looked quite decent.

I'm like you, these interest me more than the full-size SRS's. My SRS2's will go to the grave with me....
    They were that pair, and I was chatting with the seller since he first posted them a month ago. I paid no where near his asking price of $750, but he admitted that he posted them that high to "test the market". Seller was great to work with, and a true music lover who was downsizing.

Got the speakers set-up last light and they sound pretty good. I will be slowly doing upgrades, but I will also be fairly conservative as they are a very nice pair, and going crazy with the upgrades would hurt their value; i.e. will probably change out binding posts, but will leave the original cups and SDA plug/cable in place.
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  439.5 KB
    Last edited by zingo; 08-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
    SDA 2 blade/blade is based on SDA 1B drivers/electronics, not 1C.
    I was just making a comparison that many Polkies like the 1Cs if they can't/won't have the biggest boys, but I prefer these even though they are older.

Upgrade to RD0198s by removing the 4.4uF capacitor on each HF circuit board, replacing with a 5.8uF cap (5.6uF is easier to find, and within 5%) and buying the '198s. This mod pioneered by our member inspiredsports.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ght=parts+list

Of course, pretty much all the other typical mods and repairs are recommended.
    A TL mod for these has never been approved so I won't be touching that one, and this coming from a guy who did the 4.1TL mod. These speakers are nice enough that I only want to do conservative and tasteful upgrades that will no decrease their value, but bring them back to their original glory.

The only real drawback to these speakers is the common-ground amplifier requirement.
    I agree this is a drawback, but a known drawback for all SDA speakers, and luckily most stereo amplifiers are common ground. To me, it's really no different than equipment matching to any other pair of speakers.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Excellent Jake! They look great! I'm glad you're back in the SDA family sir. Great speakers!
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Welcome back Z. Which SDA's did you have before, and why did you sell?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    They were that pair...
    Great! I'm glad they were picked up by someone who will care for them and preserve them. Mine are the same as yours, 1986 blade/blade models.

G~
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Monitor 4.6
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...vol&1290711373

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    Welcome back Z. Which SDA's did you have before, and why did you sell?
    I owned the 2A first, followed by a pair of CRS+ that I gave the 4.1TL treatment. I wanted bigger speakers, and the 4.1TLs sounded muddy on my 10wpc DIY tube amp, which I realized later wasn't the speakers problem. :)

Audiophile

Did some quality listening last night, and these speakers are amazing. Fed with 400wpc of high current power, the bass response is strong but balanced and the sound stage is deep. It's funny listening to these speakers after owning many different designs, the SRS 2s simply are fun and enjoyable to listen to, and very agreeable. Horns still have a special place in my heart and corner horns are still in contention for my favorite speakers, but these put you in the music and allow you to experience it. I've owned some speakers that had enjoyable characteristics, but those seem to actually draw your attention away from the music. I'm still playing with placement a little as the soundstage seems to be a little recessed, but I don't know if that is the placement...

The first mod for these might be spikes, so I'm scoping out my options...

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Yeah Jake, spikes will make a huge difference simply with that mod. Also, see if Larry has some rings and tweeter brackets for your SRS 2's. That will make a huge positive difference. And also dynamat Xtreme all the drivers and PR's. Even doing these mods (without doing the crossovers) will make a substantial difference. After doing the crossovers and getting the RDO-194's, you will be loving your audio experience!
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I have this model except mine are pin/blade (1987) . They really shine when they're in a large room and fed with lots of watts as you have Jake. It's amazing how much of a difference they can fill a room when cranked up.

Audiophile

Just ordered a bunch of parts to start the refresh/update/upgrade of these great speakers. On my desk by the beginning of next week will be steel spikes, Mundorf MOX resistors, and Erse Pulse-X poly caps. They are a budget cap that I haven't tried yet, and even these caps will make an immediate difference. I already have some better binding posts in my stash, will be ordering some Dynamat shortly, and have been chatting with Larry about driver rings...

It's a start and I'll probably swap in some more premium parts in the future, but wanted to get my initial bases covered and have a solid foundation on an already solid pair of vintage speakers.

Audiophile

Last night I installed a set of Meniscus Audio standard spikes and they are a huge improvement over the slider feet. Not only do the speakers now sit on the concrete floor of my basement (through the carpet), but I was able to adjust them level, and very stable; much more than the slider feet on carpet. I haven't listened yet if they make an audible difference, but I won't care it they do based on the physical improvements.

Name:  Spweb.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  4.4 KB

I also have a full set of rings and hardware on the way from Larry, and I Dynamat'ed the first passive radiator last night. As soon as I pulled the PR, I was very impressed to see bracing spanning the inside of the cabinet and connecting all four walls; three of them from top to bottom I believe, but I'll see if I can grab a few pictures tonight.

Very nice! Glad you were able to find some I'm such a nice shape.

the spikes make a very nice improvement IMO... Just wait till you get Larry's rings in them, you will love the sound.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Jake,

I will have these shipped tomorrow, and have a tracking # coming your way. Sorry bout the delay, have been very busy at the shop, and it slipped my mind a couple days ago..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Jake,

I will have these shipped tomorrow, and have a tracking # coming your way. Sorry bout the delay, have been very busy at the shop, and it slipped my mind a couple days ago..
    Woo hoo! I feel blessed to get a set of these, and bring these speakers into the modern ages with no screws and chipping wood.

Thread Information