Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Bi-amping question

Is it possible to split the preamplifier outputs to drive to separate power amplifiers?

I am using a Nikko NR-1019 as a preamplifier for an Adcom GF-1 amplifier. I was thinking of splitting the signal and using the Nikko amplifier to drive a subwoofer.

Yes you can.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Are you planning on doing it with an RCA cable Y splitter?

Yes. Is that a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by rmaiers View Post
    Is it possible to split the preamplifier outputs to drive to separate power amplifiers?

I am using a Nikko NR-1019 as a preamplifier for an Adcom GF-1 amplifier. I was thinking of splitting the signal and using the Nikko amplifier to drive a subwoofer.
    What you seem to be looking to do is drive a subwoofer where there is no sub output available. You can't just split the Nikko preout signal then combine the two channels at the end of one "Y" adapter to drive the sub. That will create all kinds of loading and channel summing problems with just Y adapters alone feeding the Adcom and subwoofer inputs.

I strongly suggest a device like the Rolls SX45 active crossover ($76 at Parts Express), which has a dedicated sub output that will drive your subwoofer. You can use Y adapters to feed the Adcom and Rolls inputs. Plug the subwoofer into the Rolls unit sub out. The Rolls unit will present a high enough input impedance to the Nikko preouts so as not to cause loading problems and summing of the signal seen by the Adcom.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=245-1184

Last edited by Glen B; 08-21-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Thanks Glen B! I tried just splitting the preout with a Y RCA splitter and it didn't work. Luckily it didn't seem to hurt anything.

The following wiring configuration should work. I have an Adcom GFA-1 too BTW I'm currently using it in my party system, to drive tweeter/midrange cabs. It is a great sounding amp and fantastic bargain that is at home in any system.

Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Parts Express was sold out but I got one for $72.00 free shipping. Thanks again for the good advice!

I think the answer is yes

yes, you can, it's no problem.

Thread Information