Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Looking for better CD player suggestions

I am looking to step up in terms of sound quality for my next CD player.

I have owned a slew of different CD players, mostly different NADs, Rotels, and Cambridge Audios with some other brands thrown in.

Any new or used CD player suggestions from Forum members?

Considering something $500 or less whether new or used. Maybe more if I sell some other stuff.

Thanks!
    Counterpoint SA1000 hybrid tube preamp, SUMO Andromeda amplifier, Acoustat Spectra 1100 Electrstatic hybrid speakers, HSU HRSW12-V subwoofer, NHT SA-2 Subwoofer amp, Rotel RCD-1070 CD, Thorens TD-160 TT, Mitchell Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vesigal arm TT

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Oppo.....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Any of the MF players, Cary.....too many out there to nail down one.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

How about a used Rega Apollo?

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Since your Rotel has a digital output, I would recommend adding an external DAC and keeping the Rotel as a transport only. A $500 DAC will get you better sound quality than a $500 CDP.

You should be able to find a Benchmark DAC-1 for close to that price. Great DAC, just ask Steve above.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Something with "tubes". CD sound is fairly brittle and the main problem with it is up HIGH. All the players you list (owned) are "good" but can have a little digital glare up top. A nice tube player (used) can probably be had in the 500-700 range. And you can always roll the tubes.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    Since your Rotel has a digital output, I would recommend adding an external DAC and keeping the Rotel as a transport only. A $500 DAC will get you better sound quality than a $500 CDP.

You should be able to find a Benchmark DAC-1 for close to that price. Great DAC, just ask Steve above.
    +1 on the DAC a 500.00 DAC will make a MUCH bigher impact than a 500.00 cdp!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    I am looking to step up in terms of sound quality for my next CD player.

I have owned a slew of different CD players, mostly different NADs, Rotels, and Cambridge Audios with some other brands thrown in.

Any new or used CD player suggestions from Forum members?

Considering something $500 or less whether new or used. Maybe more if I sell some other stuff.

Thanks!
    I'd get a nice DAC.

I agree with all the suggestions. A nice DAC or a tube player. Or Both eventually. Or a tube dac. I will say this, I had a few nice solid SACD players but, when I got the w4s dac2, redbook cd's sounded better then sacd! Since the DSD part does not go through the digital out on a sacd player and it uses its own internal dac, it started me on my quest for a better sacd player and I wound up going with a tube sacd player and wound up rolling several tubes till I found the right combo of some early 60's Mullard.

Do you have or into SACD? If not, get a new DAC. Plenty out there on the new and used market for what your looking to spend and it will help you get onto digital like flac files and such.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

The tried and true Jolida JD-100 tube CDP [12AX7 based] is a rather fine player that many here on this forum still use for their rig. Even if other equipment comes and goes, many have not let go of their Jolida. Food for thought since you asked about a CDP and if you decide not to go the DAC route.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

+ 1 on that advice...

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    The tried and true Jolida JD-100 tube CDP [12AX7 based] is a rather fine player that many here on this forum still use for their rig. Even if other equipment comes and goes, many have not let go of their Jolida. Food for thought since you asked about a CDP and if you decide not to go the DAC route.

Tom
    +1 on this. A couple of years ago I did a side by side comparo of Jolida versus Rotel posted on CP. Jolida won easily. It sounds better to my ears than my Rega DAC. I don't think a SS DAC will get you what you're looking for.

Edit: Here's the link if you are interested in reading: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...Rotel-RCD-1072
    Last edited by Jetmaker737; 08-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

I actually "upgraded" from the Rega Apollo to the Jolida. While the Rega sounded good, it presented more of an "in your face" playback whereas the Jolida was further back with it's sound stage presentation. This made for front to back imaging that was more realistic in reproduction [depth of sound stage] than that of the Rega. When coupled with the tubes I have, the Jolida won out between these two players in my system with many aspects. Not just the sound stage presentation. FWIW.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Wow!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies and suggestions.

It seems like I have been at this hobby for a long time, but I have a lot to learn.

The next step in the journey toward better sound is always exciting, and the payback is that you can go back through your "old" music collection and rediscover nuances that you have missed for all of those years.

We all probably know that the journey will never end, and if it ever did, that would be a letdown, and frankly boring.

Tim
    Counterpoint SA1000 hybrid tube preamp, SUMO Andromeda amplifier, Acoustat Spectra 1100 Electrstatic hybrid speakers, HSU HRSW12-V subwoofer, NHT SA-2 Subwoofer amp, Rotel RCD-1070 CD, Thorens TD-160 TT, Mitchell Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vesigal arm TT

This brings up an issue I've been curious about.

Do y'all have any thoughts on whether using my Grant Fidelity TubeDac would be better than the internal DAC in my Rotel 855?

Need to try it, just havent gotten around to buying the damned cable.
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

You have a digital cable going from your squeezebox to the dac, use that one to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by stretchl View Post
    This brings up an issue I've been curious about.

Do y'all have any thoughts on whether using my Grant Fidelity TubeDac would be better than the internal DAC in my Rotel 855?

Need to try it, just havent gotten around to buying the damned cable.
    You have to try it. Do it like this:

- Chain 1: Rotel > Analog Out > Input 1 on Yaqin
    - Chain 2: Rotel > Digitial Out > GFTubeDAC > Analog Out > Input 2 on Yaqin

Now play a CD and just switch between inputs on the pre. This is especially easy if you have a remote; you can just sit in the sweetspot and switch back and forth on the remote. That's how I do DAC comparisons.

And FYI you can use most standard analog IC's as a digital coax cable. Ideally it would be 75 ohms. Component Video cables (the red/blue/green ones) are 75 ohm so they work well.
    Last edited by falconcry72; 08-21-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

the tube dac11 is a good player but roll the tubes in it. Lots of options with it. If your looking for dsd though, its not for you but, it does do 24/192. A lot of great reviews on it especially for the price.

It's super short, like 6", and won't be long enough.
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals

You have to try it. Do it like this:

- Chain 1: Rotel > Analog Out > Input 1 on Yaqin
    - Chain 2: Rotel > Digitial Out > GFTubeDAC > Analog Out > Input 2 on Yaqin

Now play a CD and just switch between inputs on the pre. This is especially easy if you have a remote; you can just sit in the sweetspot and switch back and forth on the remote. That's how I do DAC comparisons.

And FYI you can use most standard analog IC's as a digital coax cable. Ideally it would be 75 ohms. Component Video cables (the red/blue/green ones) are 75 ohm so they work well.
    Great advice. Didn't know that about the component video cables. Definitely have some of them laying about.
    Hi-Fi

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Another for the Jolida. Drop some Sylvania 3 mica black plate 5751's in it and a good aftermarket power cord.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Another for the Jolida. Drop some Sylvania 3 mica black plate 5751's in it and a good aftermarket power cord.
    Hey F1, have you ever compared the Jolida to a Oppo?

I am sure the Jolida is better, but how much?

I would love to have something close to vinyl, not rich though.

I have a 83SE, thinking about the 105. Then again I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

No I haven't, sorry.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxer View Post

Thanks.
    Assimilated owns both the 83se and 105. Perhaps you should pm him and get his thoughts.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Assimilated owns both the 83se and 105. Perhaps you should pm him and get his thoughts.
    Thanks, if I get very serious I will.

What I really would like to know is how they compare to a Jolida.

Jesse hasn't but I have. We did a direct A/B between the an Oppo and the Jolida 4 or 5 years [and a couple of models] ago. I can't recall differences between CDP's that have been so drastically different in sound. In fact, we had the same album playing in both players at one point. The Oppo had the SACD and the Jolida had the rebook CD [on the same system] and the Jolida still came out on top in spades. Now as for a recent comparison, that we have not done. I have read that the newer Oppo's have improved their playback but as to how much? You'll have to ask someone who has perhaps done a comparison between a newer Oppo and the Jolida.

Tom

I will say this: simply looking at the new chassis and and apparent overbuild of the 105, especially compared to the 83, I don't think it'd be fair to compare that trial to current models. I know you weren't Tom, I'm just elaborating on your point a bit. Iirc, Danny felt that the 105 was far and above the better player over the 83se.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Agreed, Mr. Skip. I don't think it would have been so well received by the audio crowd if it hadn't. That why I mentioned that it was a couple of models ago......but even the Oppo I A/B'd back then was getting some mad praise......so I don't really know what to think about that. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The newer models have won some awards along with the praise [not from just reviewers], so one would think.....

Tom

Thanks.
    The Jolida will get you somewhat close to vinyl provided you change out the stock chinese tubes, the Psvanes I'm using in mine really smoothed things out.

If you decide to go the Jolida route be aware that there are/was two Jolida companies out there, Jolida.com (USA based in MD) and Jolida.net (China). I bought from Jolida.net a couple of years ago and came to regret it, the unit failed after about 18 months and Jolida.net was no where to be found, luckily Jolida USA agreed to repair it for me. The tech who did the repairs commented on the numerous cold solder joints he encountered, so make sure you get a Jolida USA unit.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Ortofon 2M Blue, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems

You guys were right.

I bought a used Emotiva ERC-1 from a new friend last night and also borrowed a Keces DA-131 DAC from him too to try out.

Hooked them up after work today and I love it!

Thread Information