Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    252

    Default Sony TA-N9000ES power amp went in protection mode

    My Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp went into protection mode today. I think it got too hot in my poorly ventilated cabinet. I want to try leaving the door open while I use it. Is there any way to get this thing out of protection without taking it in to a tech? Any help would be great, I'm stranded at the moment!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,117

    Default

    Unplug it and let it sit for awhile. Cabinets are the absolute worst for electronics. I know they look spiffy and nice, but audio electronics need to breath.
    Not sure if there is any fuses on that model, but check anyway.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lincolnton, GA.
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    I found this....might be helpful....

    "The amp I use for my home theater setup (not my primary listening rig) is a Sony TA-E9000ES. Yesterday, I cranked it on and the standby led started flashing indicating protect mode. I disconnect every input and output to confirm there was no shorts across any of the speaker outputs etc. The problem remained. After doing some digging, I came to discover that the common fault in this amp that causes this symptom are 1 of two resistors on the main amplifier pcb, R220 and R221. Both are 1 watt 1 ohm resistors. I measured them in place (which could effect the measurement of course) and found them to be nominally 1.5 ohms. Is it even plausible that a .5 ohm drift (granted, its a huge drift out of tolerance) could cause this thing to go in to protect mode?"
    --Gary--

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    I found this....might be helpful....

    "The amp I use for my home theater setup (not my primary listening rig) is a Sony TA-E9000ES. Yesterday, I cranked it on and the standby led started flashing indicating protect mode. I disconnect every input and output to confirm there was no shorts across any of the speaker outputs etc. The problem remained. After doing some digging, I came to discover that the common fault in this amp that causes this symptom are 1 of two resistors on the main amplifier pcb, R220 and R221. Both are 1 watt 1 ohm resistors. I measured them in place (which could effect the measurement of course) and found them to be nominally 1.5 ohms. Is it even plausible that a .5 ohm drift (granted, its a huge drift out of tolerance) could cause this thing to go in to protect mode?"
    Thanks, where did you find this? I wonder if replacing those two resistors would get it out of protection?

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Actually, don't worry about it. I found that thread on diy audio. Unfortunately no replies or follow ups. I'll keep digging the interwebs!

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    256

    Default

    R220 and R221 in the TA-N9000ES are 1W fuse resistors in the protection circuit. E-mail me if you want a copy of the service manual.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    R220 and R221 in the TA-N9000ES are 1W fuse resistors in the protection circuit. E-mail me if you want a copy of the service manual.
    Thanks for the offer but I found that as well. It took a while, but I located those two resistors and have the amp pulled apart to replace them. I also found a place to order the parts. I'm leaving in a few days so I will have to get to this later. Debating on attempting the solder job myself or getting someone more experienced to do it.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1

    Smile Help!! My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too!

    Hello. I just joined. My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too! Just want to ask if anyone had success in resurrecting their Sony by just replacing the 2 above-mentioned resistors. Thank you very much for any help.
    Last edited by mr3klax; 01-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr3klax View Post
    Hello. I just joined. My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too! Just want to ask if anyone had success in resurrecting their Sony by just replacing the 2 above-mentioned resistors. Thank you very much for any help.
    I have not gotten around to doing this but it's on my list of things to get done. I found the part online but I haven't ordered it yet. I hope to get it done in the next month or so, but I am going to have someone else do the soldering for me. I did take the top and bottom covers off and was able to locate them. They seems accessible enough for anyone with decent soldering skills.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for Sony TA-N9000ES owners to answer a few questions
    By adb3da@yahoo.co in forum Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 09:32 AM
  2. Need Help NEED HELP!! Hpsa500 in protection mode!
    By polkanddie in forum Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 09:46 PM
  3. For Sale Sony TA-N9000ES Amplifiers
    By XJRGUY in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
  4. Amp goes into protection mode
    By Bubba -NJ in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM
  5. protection mode
    By dant in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts