Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sony TA-N9000ES power amp went in protection mode

My Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp went into protection mode today. I think it got too hot in my poorly ventilated cabinet. I want to try leaving the door open while I use it. Is there any way to get this thing out of protection without taking it in to a tech? Any help would be great, I'm stranded at the moment!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Unplug it and let it sit for awhile. Cabinets are the absolute worst for electronics. I know they look spiffy and nice, but audio electronics need to breath.
    Not sure if there is any fuses on that model, but check anyway.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I found this....might be helpful....

"The amp I use for my home theater setup (not my primary listening rig) is a Sony TA-E9000ES. Yesterday, I cranked it on and the standby led started flashing indicating protect mode. I disconnect every input and output to confirm there was no shorts across any of the speaker outputs etc. The problem remained. After doing some digging, I came to discover that the common fault in this amp that causes this symptom are 1 of two resistors on the main amplifier pcb, R220 and R221. Both are 1 watt 1 ohm resistors. I measured them in place (which could effect the measurement of course) and found them to be nominally 1.5 ohms. Is it even plausible that a .5 ohm drift (granted, its a huge drift out of tolerance) could cause this thing to go in to protect mode?"
    --Gary--

Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    I found this....might be helpful....

"The amp I use for my home theater setup (not my primary listening rig) is a Sony TA-E9000ES. Yesterday, I cranked it on and the standby led started flashing indicating protect mode. I disconnect every input and output to confirm there was no shorts across any of the speaker outputs etc. The problem remained. After doing some digging, I came to discover that the common fault in this amp that causes this symptom are 1 of two resistors on the main amplifier pcb, R220 and R221. Both are 1 watt 1 ohm resistors. I measured them in place (which could effect the measurement of course) and found them to be nominally 1.5 ohms. Is it even plausible that a .5 ohm drift (granted, its a huge drift out of tolerance) could cause this thing to go in to protect mode?"
    Thanks, where did you find this? I wonder if replacing those two resistors would get it out of protection?

Actually, don't worry about it. I found that thread on diy audio. Unfortunately no replies or follow ups. I'll keep digging the interwebs!

R220 and R221 in the TA-N9000ES are 1W fuse resistors in the protection circuit. E-mail me if you want a copy of the service manual.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    R220 and R221 in the TA-N9000ES are 1W fuse resistors in the protection circuit. E-mail me if you want a copy of the service manual.
    Thanks for the offer but I found that as well. It took a while, but I located those two resistors and have the amp pulled apart to replace them. I also found a place to order the parts. I'm leaving in a few days so I will have to get to this later. Debating on attempting the solder job myself or getting someone more experienced to do it.

Smile Help!! My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too!

Hello. I just joined. My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too! Just want to ask if anyone had success in resurrecting their Sony by just replacing the 2 above-mentioned resistors. Thank you very much for any help.
    Last edited by mr3klax; 01-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr3klax View Post
    Hello. I just joined. My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too! Just want to ask if anyone had success in resurrecting their Sony by just replacing the 2 above-mentioned resistors. Thank you very much for any help.
    I have not gotten around to doing this but it's on my list of things to get done. I found the part online but I haven't ordered it yet. I hope to get it done in the next month or so, but I am going to have someone else do the soldering for me. I did take the top and bottom covers off and was able to locate them. They seems accessible enough for anyone with decent soldering skills.

Thread Information