Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What I found at my parent's house!

A Carver TFM-35 and Adcom GFP-565.

I'm not really sure if I am going to use the Adcom yet. Anyone know where I can find a replacement knob for the level control? It's missing for the Carver!
    AVR: PIONEER SC-1522-K
    FRONT L/R: MONITOR 70 II
    CENTER: MONITOR 25C
    SURROUND L/R: JAMO S426
    SURROUND BACK L/R: ENERGRY EF-500
    SUBWOOFER: DUAL KLIPSCH RW-12D

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: SAMSUNG PN50A650

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Call Roland @ hitech audio ltd. com

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Call Roland @ hitech audio ltd. com
    Thanks. I will do that. I'm thinking of setting up a 2.0 stereo set up in my garage, and these devices can be very handy. I was thinking of trying to implement the Carver with my Pioneer SC-1522-K to drive my front left / right Polk Audio Monitor 70 II's. However, I would have to re-arrange and possibly move my AVR from where it sits now.

MIght be interested in the adcom pre if you end up selling it, depending on price. Does it have a remote by chance?

No remote available.

Wish i could find those at my mothers. Lol. I have that same pre hooked to my 555 & it seems to work quite well.
    Last edited by boston1450; 08-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Well, I had a pair of RCA cables sitting some where, and I can't find them. I was going to order a pair from monoprice, but I was wondering if anyone has any good RCA cables laying around that would like to sell?

I'm looking at a pair of Audioquest copper head on ebay used. Any other suggestions?

Member Sales Rating: (55)

A house is not a home with no RCA and speaker cable overkill.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    A house is not a home with no RCA and speaker cable overkill.
    I've got 12 gauge speaker wire, I just can't find the RCA cables. I think the wife might be the culprit.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

It's definitely not a home with a cable stealing woman in it.

I thought it was going to be about 4 million more albums.That Adcom pre would pair up very nicely w/ my gfa555.

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    I thought it was going to be about 4 million more albums.That Adcom pre would pair up very nicely w/ my gfa555.
    Well, I don't think that my dad not I will be using the pre-amp. After looking on eBay for prices it appears the going rate for this pre-amp is around $250 to $300 range, which I was pretty surprised. So, I might end up putting it for sale, but I a, not really sure how much this is going to cost to ship.

"going rate for this pre-amp is around $250 to $300 range" really? Sure you're looking at the pre & not the amp? Maybe so - I never could understand the prices things fetch (or fail to ) on the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in WI View Post
    "going rate for this pre-amp is around $250 to $300 range" really? Sure you're looking at the pre & not the amp? Maybe so - I never could understand the prices things fetch (or fail to ) on the bay.
    Well, I searched for the Adcom GFP-565, and the several that I found were around that price. Now, I'm thinking of setting up a 2.0 set up in my garage so I might end up keeping both units now.

It's alive!!!

I had to re-arrange my whole set up to include the Carver amp. I though it was going to take me about an hour to set everything up, but no. It took me about 3.5 hours since I have to re-arrange all of my ethernet, hdmi, and RCA cables. On top of that I had to re-terminate some of my speaker wires because I didn't like the way they looked lol.

By the time I was done with everything the kids and the wife were asleep. So, I couldn't really crank the volume up. I did get to watch Oblivion finally! I will play some music tomorrow to see if I hear any difference.

Looks great.now you gotta say its worth all the time it takes to get it the way you want it & its fun. Enjoy your new amp
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The 565 is an excellent pre for the $! and free is even better LOL The phono section on the 565 is darn good. I ran one for a while till I went to tubes.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The 565 is an excellent pre for the $! and free is even better LOL The phono section on the 565 is darn good. I ran one for a while till I went to tubes.

Holy, crap! I know my Polk Audio Monitor 70 II aren't the best speakers in the world, but man did they wake up with the Carver. They sound so much cleaner, and I can drive those ****er higher than I can handle now. I went all the way up to +3 dB in my receiver, and they were freaking loud and sounded clear.

Before, the tweeter would be so freaking bright and annoying with certain music. Now, I can actually hear it clearly. I didn't know this would make such a difference.

Then again, I might just be dreaming, but it sound so much better. I want more power lol! This amp is over 30 yrs old and running strong! Wow, now that is some quality with original everything!
    Last edited by GFOviedo; 08-23-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GFOviedo View Post
    Holy, crap! I know my Polk Audio Monitor 70 II aren't the best speakers in the world, but man did they wake up with the Carver. They sound so much cleaner, and I can drive those ****er higher than I can handle now. I went all the way up to +3 dB in my receiver, and they were freaking loud and sounded clear.

Before, the tweeter would be so freaking bright and annoying with certain music. Now, I can actually hear it clearly. I didn't know this would make such a difference.

Then again, I might just be dreaming, but it sound so much better. I want more power lol! This amp is over 30 yrs old and running strong! Wow, now that is some quality with original everything!
    Quality power matters. You just discovered it for yourself . You also learned not all amps sound the same (Pioneer v Carver), and what adding a power amp can do to even entry level speakers. Hence why you see many of us recommend 10 year old used amps. They still works great and the tech for powering a speaker hasnt really changed that much compared to AVR's.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Quality power matters. You just discovered it for yourself . You also learned not all amps sound the same (Pioneer v Carver), and what adding a power amp can do to even entry level speakers. Hence why you see many of us recommend 10 year old used amps. They still works great and the tech for powering a speaker hasnt really changed that much compared to AVR's.
    I agree. I think I am going to look for a 3 channel amp to drive my front stage, and use the Carver with the Adcom for a 2.0 set up in the garage.

Can anyone recommend an 3 channel amp that is good and isn't outrageously too expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by GFOviedo View Post
    I agree. I think I am going to look for a 3 channel amp to drive my front stage, and use the Carver with the Adcom for a 2.0 set up in the garage.

Can anyone recommend an 3 channel amp that is good and isn't outrageously too expensive?
    Well TBH I would look at some of the 5 channel Carver stuff simply because his 3 channel amps are QUITE expensive. So for me I have been using a AV-705x 5 channel amp for my entire LSi setup for 2 years, and before that it was being used on my Monitor 60, CS2, Monitor 40 setup and it sounded pretty good there. In the case of Carver stuff there is something called "power steering" which is unique in that it taps unused wattage from one channel if its needed in another. So if your surrounds dont need all 125 watts (using my carver as an example) it can steer additional wattage to the fronts.....

But I prefer Carver, others will have suggestions. I would think Adcom will be suggested and also Parasound, Rotel, B&K.

That said your probably looking 300ish bucks or more for any decent 3-5 channel amp. Even your Carver sells used for between 200-500.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Well TBH I would look at some of the 5 channel Carver stuff simply because his 3 channel amps are QUITE expensive. So for me I have been using a AV-705x 5 channel amp for my entire LSi setup for 2 years, and before that it was being used on my Monitor 60, CS2, Monitor 40 setup and it sounded pretty good there. In the case of Carver stuff there is something called "power steering" which is unique in that it taps unused wattage from one channel if its needed in another. So if your surrounds dont need all 125 watts (using my carver as an example) it can steer additional wattage to the fronts.....

But I prefer Carver, others will have suggestions. I would think Adcom will be suggested and also Parasound, Rotel, B&K.

That said your probably looking 300ish bucks or more for any decent 3-5 channel amp. Even your Carver sells used for between 200-500.
    Thanks, I will look into those other brands as well. I'll probably go with another Carver anyway, they seem to be the best bang for the $$. Used wise I mean.

GFO-

I may have something that would work for you...

It's been in storage in my closet for awhile so I forget some of the particulars such as model #, but it is a NAD 6ch home theater amp which will put out 30 WPC to all 6 (I know not a lot), but get this- user can bridge it to a 3 ch to power your front left, right and center at 90 WPC (which is more than adequate for almost any home theater movie watching setup). NAD gear is know to have a lot of headroom and plenty of current for dynamic peaks as well. Pricing would be in the $225 range plus shipping. Let me know if you'd like more info and some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    GFO-

I may have something that would work for you...

It's been in storage in my closet for awhile so I forget some of the particulars such as model #, but it is a NAD 6ch home theater amp which will put out 30 WPC to all 6 (I know not a lot), but get this- user can bridge it to a 3 ch to power your front left, right and center at 90 WPC (which is more than adequate for almost any home theater movie watching setup). NAD gear is know to have a lot of headroom and plenty of current for dynamic peaks as well. Pricing would be in the $225 range plus shipping. Let me know if you'd like more info and some pics.
    Thanks for the offer, but I want something that can output at least 200 wpc or more. Thanks though.

I understand. I really feel that you need to explore exactly how many watts you normally use though. If you get a chance to find a nice vintage amp with meters showing output in watts like some of the carver's have, I think you would be surprised to see that you would rarely go over 60watts except with heavy bass passages. Those 70's are pretty efficient speakers and anywhere over 100 watts being used will be VERY loud. Looking at your sig, since you are using dual subs and taking the lower hz out of the equation you will never need 200WPC.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a nice 5 channel Parasound, Rotel, or Krell amp myself but for reasonable usuage it would be overkill. I'd love to have a Ferrari too- but my Mazda 3 does fine most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    I understand. I really feel that you need to explore exactly how many watts you normally use though. If you get a chance to find a nice vintage amp with meters showing output in watts like some of the carver's have, I think you would be surprised to see that you would rarely go over 60watts except with heavy bass passages. Those 70's are pretty efficient speakers and anywhere over 100 watts being used will be VERY loud. Looking at your sig, since you are using dual subs and taking the lower hz out of the equation you will never need 200WPC.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a nice 5 channel Parasound, Rotel, or Krell amp myself but for reasonable usuage it would be overkill. I'd love to have a Ferrari too- but my Mazda 3 does fine most of the time.

I agree, buy I prefer having more power and not needing it, than to need it and not having it.

I found something troubling today while listening to music. My front right speaker tweeter sounded muzzled. I had issues before with the tweeter, and Polk Audio send me replacement, which fixed the issue.

So, I switched the tweeters from the front left to the front right, and it sounded fine for a few second and then it sound muzzled again. So, I thought the xover might be the issue. However, I remember that I changed the level on my Carver amp to 100%.

So, I moved the knob to the 5 o'clock mark, and the muzzleness went away and the tweeter sounded good again. So, I'm wondering if this is a sign that the right channel in the carver is going out? I am using some cheap RCA cables right now, I've got some Audio Quest on the way, but I don't think this might be the culprit? Anyone?

Another thing I found out today was that my wife grandfather wrote the lyrics for "Evil Woman." He got $50k for it pretty cool!

Thread Information