Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Synergistic Research Fuses installed tonight

I am so impressed with the positive changes brought about by swapping out a standard fuse for a Synergistic Research fuse in my tube linestage, I bought 4 more to replace the ones on the board in my Stratos Stereo amp. The fuses went in tonight, but no time to listen. Review in a couple of days.

Thought I'd share some pics of the proceedings. Check out the filter caps and stacked trannys. These are the parts that Klaus' uses in his totl pieces cause he felt so bad that he couldn't resolve my issues with running this amp in Dual Mono configuration with my SDA's:

Click image for larger version

Name:	_001Stratos Stereo Black Board.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	88905Click image for larger version

Name:	_001Stratos Black Board Top off.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	88906Click image for larger version

Name:	SR Fuses #2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	88907Click image for larger version

Name:	Stratos Black Board Chassis #2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	88908Click image for larger version

Name:	_001Looking From The Back.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	88909
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Lookin' good Fred! What is the blue cable connecting the smaller caps to the RCA outs? It looks familiar, but can't place what it is?

Looking forward to the review of the amp with Synergistic fuses added.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I'm looking forared to your review as well.

FYI, you should keep an eye on that clear jacketed copper cable for oxidation.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Good point, Jesse. It depends on what Klauss used though. I have an Audioquest something or other that I have had for years on end [clear, just like that one] and I have yet to see any oxidation. It's the only one I still have that didn't degrade in the box of goodies out in the garage.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

That wire has been used in Odyssey amps the last 10 years, no oxidation I have ever seen and I have owned my fair share of Odyssey product!

Now fuses and Odyssey amps on the other hand, I have a bag of 50 fuses compatible with Odyssey amps! I hope the tweak works well! :)
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Lookin' good Fred! What is the blue cable connecting the smaller caps to the RCA outs? It looks familiar, but can't place what it is?
    I believe it's Odyssey's Groenborg cable. Not sure of the construction, but they think highly of it.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Good point, Jesse. It depends on what Klauss used though. I have an Audioquest something or other that I have had for years on end [clear, just like that one] and I have yet to see any oxidation. It's the only one I still have that didn't degrade in the box of goodies out in the garage.
    Funny thing, as much as I've read others talk about stranded clear jacketed cable turning green, especially Monster, I've not experienced it. I have some 20 year old Monster out in the garage for the last 10 years that still looks pristine.

Will keep an eye on the stuff in the amp though.
    Last edited by drumminman; 08-22-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

SR Fuse Review

A little background: about a month and a half ago I decided to try one of their fuses in my Odyssey Candela linestage. This after reading all the reviews I could find on the various “designer” fuses such as Isoclean, Furutech, Hi Fi Tuning, etc. I kept looking for comparison/ shootout reviews by those who had tried the top fuses in each manufacturer’s line. I only came across one such review by a guy on Audio Asylum. So, based on that I purchased the appropriate value and installed it in my linestage.

The results have been so positive I decided to splurge and get 4 more to replace those in my Stratos Stereo. I was a little hesitant about this as I had read some reviews that stated the biggest improvement with these occurred after putting the SR fuse in pre’s, less so in power amps. Also . . . . . . they’re f-u-s-e-s! @ $60 each!

But life is short and I finally talked myself into it. The amp stays powered on 24/7, so the fuses had 24 hours of low current running through them before I started the music on night one.

The albums played include “Silver Lining” (Bonnie Raitt), Susan Tedeschi’s Greatest Hits, and Chicago Transit Authority (their first album).

Bonnie was up first and what I heard I wasn’t quite prepared to believe at first. We have an open floor plan with the kitchen open to the LR where the rig is. I hit play on the cdp and went to the kitchen to get a beer. As I was standing there, I noticed the overall sound was smoother, with vocals that were fuller and richer, more realistic. Not by a lot, but it was there. Individual voices in background harmonies were more distinct and the harmonies were not louder, but easier to hear and just a little sweeter. There also seemed to be a bit more overall slam to the presentation.

One of the most surprising improvements was the change in soundstage. The SDA effect in my room has usually been tilted towards the right with some instruments well outside that speaker. This side is around 4-5 feet from the side wall. The left side has a large open area beyond the speaker, which I’ve always assumed contributed to a slightly diminished SDA effect on that side. It increased by at least 3 feet on the left side, with instruments often seeming to wrap around the listening position, almost behind it. Now the SDA effect sounds equally balanced.

The soundstage is also deeper front to back. It projects forward about the same, but now has more depth.

The bass doesn’t go deeper, but has slightly better transient response. Highs, also have a little better transient response, and there’s a little more air around instruments. It’s easier to hear background effects, such as tambourines, bells, small percussion instruments. My wife even commented on this and agreed with my description of the vocals.

On the Susan Tedeschi CD the improvement was similar to what I heard with Bonnie. I’ve noticed in the past that on some of the songs (which were taken from different albums) when the hi hat is being played closed, it has a bit of a soft, hissy sound. More of the metallic cymbal sounds appeared last night, which sounds more realistic.

“Chicago Transit Authority” was recorded in 1969, but it still sounds pretty good today. Peter Cetera’s bass just sounded great. It was distinct before the SRF’s, but it now has a liquid quality to the tone, yet not soft, with good attack and decay of notes. The trombones have more bite to the beginning of the note.

Overall, I'd say that instruments and vocals have a more natural tone, a little more power and more air around each. The effect is more slam to the music and yet a more relaxed feel as well. Complex passages are rendered with a little more clarity. These differences were very easy to hear.

The above is based on ~ 2 hours listening. I'll post if I hear other changes.

The verdict: I would equate the improvement in sound quality these fuses brought to replacing really good IC’s with great ones, and perhaps upgrading a power cord or two as well. I bought these from www.thecableco.com, after trading emails with Synergistic Research. They were recommended as a company who would honor SR’s 30 day return policy.

Bottom line: If you’re thinking of trying high end fuses give these a go. There’s no risk if you’re not satisfied other than the cost of shipping.
    Last edited by drumminman; 08-23-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Update: Damn these things are good! Nothing new to add, really, other than they're staying. Amp manufacturers should seriously think about cutting a deal with SR to include these when they build their product. They make a very good amp sound better - wonder what they'd do to a upper echelon one?

Somebody (Darqueknight, F1nut, Blue Fox) give it a go

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Cool man, I'll lock those in the brain.

It might have been DK, Phil, or Face that did comps on other higher end fuses that caught my attention years ago. A worth wild upgrade in my book.

BTW- You know the answer to that last question.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Looks like I'll be trying some soon.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

This is on my todo list. After hearing what a PC can do, I have no problem believing that replacing a cheap, run of the mill fuse with a higher quality fuse can make an improvement. Along this line, I asked the founder of Shunyata if they had done any measurements on fuses, and he said no, but I should try it and let him know the result. I just am not that enthusiastic about taking things apart, prying out the fuse to find the size, and then hope it works when I put it back together.

Also, I have been very satisfied with buying from The Cable Company.

Thread Information