Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Time to Upgrade the Garage!

Hey all, new poster here. I was scouring Craigslist 2 days ago looking for some speakers. I came upon several Bose 201 and 301 series for decent prices but reviews (from audiophiles) said to go with Polk as their typical saying is "No Highs or Lows, Must be Bose". hehe. I actually have a set of old Bose 3-2-1 in the house right now since they were given to me but we do spend a lot of time out in the garage either working on or detailing cars. Sadly, and I'm afraid to admit this, we're using a set of $30 Logitech 2.1 desktop speakers as our current setup. We've had a lot of expenses and fix-ups after moving in 1 year ago.

Long story short, I would really like to replace our current setup for a bit better quality. They Logitechs can pump out sound at a decent volume but you can really hear the system distorting (especially the bass). My criteria isn't too much but I'm pondering how many speakers I need and where to place them. I will get a video and photos when I go home today of what the garage looks like. We don't need to pump out loud music but nice good quality sound to fill the garage without overworking the system would be perfect.

tl;dr, I know. ;)

I've been looking at Polk T15 speakers on craigslist (can get a pair for $60) and other Polks of the like but I'm not quite sure what to go for. Budget is the most limiting factor so I'm sticking to Craigslist if I can. I'd like to stay under $200 for the speakers and I can pick up a receiver separately. Do I have to have a subwoofer or can certain sets of speakers compensate?
    - Chris -

pair of Monitor 45t from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290269 if you wait they will go on sale for like 150 for the pair.

Oh also, I live in Central Texas but I've put it radiant barrier and insulation in the garage so it doesn't get any hotter than ambient temps. Lately when I return home from work the garage has been 104*F but that's the highest I've seen so far. Winters get down to 20-30*F but those don't last long.
    - Chris -

Newegg has cherry 55T for $99 each that are regularly $249 each.

For some reason, black ones are $149 each.

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Newegg has cherry 55T for $99 each that are regularly $249 each.

For some reason, black ones are $149 each.
    I see at newegg some receivers are coming with a polk sub

By central TX, you mean Austin area?

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3996041724.html Well worth $30.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/4004386589.html Get him down to $200 and sell the leftovers. Towers look like RT400's, depending on what surrounds/center are, you might be able to turn a profit on this AND keep a pair of speakers. If you pursue, let us know what the package consists of.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3996071115.html This might be the same guy above. Talk him down to $60, but $75 still isn't shabby for those.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3910304483.html Another good deal. Sell off the excess and get you some damn nice bookies for about $50.

I was looking for some Monitor 7/10 as I think those would be PERFECT for your application, but there weren't any listed currently. Don't buy new for what you intend to use them for.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    By central TX, you mean Austin area?

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3996041724.html Well worth $30.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/4004386589.html Get him down to $200 and sell the leftovers. Towers look like RT400's, depending on what surrounds/center are, you might be able to turn a profit on this AND keep a pair of speakers. If you pursue, let us know what the package consists of.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3996071115.html This might be the same guy above. Talk him down to $60, but $75 still isn't shabby for those.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3910304483.html Another good deal. Sell off the excess and get you some damn nice bookies for about $50.

I was looking for some Monitor 7/10 as I think those would be PERFECT for your application, but there weren't any listed currently. Don't buy new for what you intend to use them for.
    Thanks DSkip for the links. I'm in San Antonio but we'll be traveling to Austin this Sunday; we frequent occasionally. Also, should I be worried about having wood exposed to the elements in a garage setting or will it be okay? The rain isn't an issue but humidity might be.
    Last edited by RavynX; 08-23-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    - Chris -

These and they're cheap too.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Good luck on the garage :) I did mine up a couple of years back.

If you get a second you should check it out. If you need any advice, I'd be more than happy to share anything that Ive learned and picked up on the way
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/syst...?userid=133520
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Pioneer SC-37
    • Mains - Polk TSI500's
    • Center - Polk CS20
    • Surrounds - Infinity Flush In-Ceiling Mounted
    • Sub - Polk PSW505
    • T.V. - Insignia 47" LCD
    • Projector - Epson 5020UB
    • Projector Screen - Monoprice 92" Motorized Matte White 1.0 Gain
    • Blu-ray - Ps3 80gig Fat
    • Gaming - Xbox360 12gig Fat w/HD DVD drive
    • Broadcast - DirecTV HD DVR HR24

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You want to fry some speakers in a garage in Texas? I'd be a little worried about "heat" and melting glues so I'd probably just buy a set of beat up garage speakers that can pound and let them rot slowly out there. You know, something like old school (not very musical or detailed but they play LOUD) big A...D Cerwin Vegas.

The only place I would ever consider running something like this! Some run Monitor 10s in their garage systems but I really think 10s "deserve" a "better" spot in your home than an outdoor furnace. Or in my case, a "freezer"?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I contacted all of these people, responses below...

These sold yesterday.

He still has these and will be getting me more photos and model numbers later, I hope.

He said these are sold; looks like deleted the ad after I contacted him.

No response yet.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for some.
    - Chris -

I've seen a few of these up for sale, how are they in quality/sound?

Polk T15 - http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/3963376475.html
    - Chris -

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    You want to fry some speakers in a garage in Texas? I'd be a little worried about "heat" and melting glues so I'd probably just buy a set of beat up garage speakers that can pound and let them rot slowly out there. You know, something like old school (not very musical or detailed but they play LOUD) big A...D Cerwin Vegas.

The only place I would ever consider running something like this! Some run Monitor 10s in their garage systems but I really think 10s "deserve" a "better" spot in your home than an outdoor furnace. Or in my case, a "freezer"?

cnh
    Well, maybe slightly exaggerated but I get what you're saying. We have enough radiant barrier and insulation in the garage so it doesn't get above 105*F or so in the summer (basically ambient temp). If glue starts to melt at this temperature then there's something wrong with the quality of the speaker. I can understand your point if the garage isn't insulated and temps get well above 120*F but that's not the case here. =) I'm more worried about humidity and foam surrounds drying out than heat/cold.
    - Chris -

Polk also makes some outdoor speakers that would probably fit the bill better. I saw a few in Austin for around a bone, but I didn't link them. Those Monitor 4's would be your best bet for $30 IMO. Polk doesn't have any foam surrounds on any speakers they've ever made AFAIK. If the cab ends up shot, you can sell those midwoofers for $30 per and make some money off the deal. I don't think you'd have too much to worry about honestly, as long as they aren't sitting on concrete absorbing moisture.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I have a pair of unused white Atrium 55s (they have been opened, but were never used), in original box. $100 + actual shipping/paypal if you are interested.

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Some monitor 10's are a good affordable garage rig speaker set.

There is someone selling 2 pairs of the Polk Monitor 30 speakers for $60/pair. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RavynX View Post
    There is someone selling 2 pairs of the Polk Monitor 30 speakers for $60/pair. Thoughts?
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/4015557932.html

Search is over, get these before they sell.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/4018392720.html

Good find skip. Great price and a better choice than those Monitor 30's, no doubt.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Here's our garage layout. I was thinking of putting 1 pair per side of the garage.

- Chris -

S2k and 330ci?
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

More pics of the S2000!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

+1 on these. Fantastic speakers. Refresh the capacitors and it punches almost into LSi7 territory. I upgraded mine with Dayton capacitors, which are not expensive, and feel they give the LSi7s a run for the money. Running the stock SL2000 tweeters.

Living about an hour from you, I would recommend you use outdoor speakers in that garage. You're not just dealing with heat, we have a fairly high humidity rate during our 6 months of summer. Just saying that home speakers are designed and manufactured for controlled environments, where outdoor speakers would last quite a bit longer in a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    S2k and 330ci?
    My S2000 and my girlfriend was detailing a friend's '05 M3. =)
    - Chris -

Should I go with the single pair of Polk Monitor 5s or the dual pairs of Polk Monitor 30s?
    - Chris -

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Monitor 5s will put out more bass and can take a lot of power so can probably play pretty loud. Is the reason you want to use four speakers instead of two the SIZE of your garage? How big is it, exactly?

If it were me, I'd think two 5s might do it if amplified properly? The 5s are a better speaker than the M-30s (which are entry level Polks).

I see that garage is nicely "insulated" so it probably won't "melt" anything. lol

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I'd go monitor 5's over the 30's, if for no other reason than I mentioned before. At $50, even if the cabinets end up shot, you can part them out for more. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about though as far as cabinet destruction. The M5's will sound better as well, like cnh pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Monitor 5s will put out more bass and can take a lot of power so can probably play pretty loud. Is the reason you want to use four speakers instead of two the SIZE of your garage? How big is it, exactly?

If it were me, I'd think two 5s might do it if amplified properly? The 5s are a better speaker than the M-30s (which are entry level Polks).

I see that garage is nicely "insulated" so it probably won't "melt" anything. lol

cnh
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if I needed to fill each garage space with 2 speakers each having 1 in each back corner or if I could just use 1 speaker per side of the garage.

I'd go monitor 5's over the 30's, if for no other reason than I mentioned before. At $50, even if the cabinets end up shot, you can part them out for more. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about though as far as cabinet destruction. The M5's will sound better as well, like cnh pointed out.
    Cool, thanks.
    - Chris -

Thread Information