Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default How many of you guys use two Pre Pros?

Just curious on how many of you guys have 2 pre pros (one specifically dedicated/good for stereo and one good at HT ) connected to a Amplifier?

So that you can have best of both worlds? this is how it is done?

If that is the case i am curious how the connections between the systems will be ?

There are several 2chnl preamps that have an HT bypass feature which requires an additional set of IC.

Here is a thread with the options
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-preamps
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    There are several 2chnl preamps that have an HT bypass feature which requires an additional set of IC.

Here is a thread with the options
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-preamps
    Thaks for the references, appreciate the help.

I use two dedicated systems....one for video...one for audio.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I don't have an HT system per se, but I use two pre-amps for my singular 2 channel rig (I also watch movies on the 2 channel). One tubed and one SS. The SS pre-amp has an HT bypass and I run the tubes pre through that. My SS pre can be passive or active so in essence I have 3 choices on the same rig; tubes, SS active, SS passive. It works extremely well with no sound detriments.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by Msabot1 View Post
    I use two dedicated systems....one for video...one for audio.
    Could you please let me know the systems you are using?

Thanks in advance.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Yea, the best way to get the "best of both worlds" is just to have (2) separate systems. See my sig.

But yes, many people use a 2-channel preamp with HT bypass in their HT rigs, and I think that would be a very nice alternative.

My suggestion to you is to wait until you get all the other gear you're amassing right now, and then just listen for a while. I mean "a while" as in weeks. Play with speaker placement, AVR settings, etc, and just see what you think.

The whole point of adding or swapping out equipment is to alter the sound to your liking. You won't know what you want to alter about the sound until you listen! Once you listen, you may be perfectly satisfied... if not, you'll need to determine a very specific attribute of the sound that you want to change. You will then decide what gear to add or swap based on the specific way that you want to change the sound.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by falconcry72; 08-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Sumerian...don't usually get on here to talk about what I'm running other than LP's,but if ya wanna know..here is my somewhat modest setup....THEATER....Onkyo TX-NR-1010....LSim 707 fronts..CSi A4 center...Eosone RSF 600 rears. Audio..McIntosh MC 240 amp...Mx110 pre...for backup....Onkyo Integra P304 pre M504 amp...Music Hall MMF 5.1 table...Harmon Kardon FL 8380 CD..The Mac equipment is vintage gear my dad gave me. Also REVOX R-R. I switch out components from time to time,but leave the speaker setup pretty much intact...

I simply use my 2 CH for HT. I still toy with the idea of getting rear channels, but movies are already engaging as it is.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I have 3 different systems (HT, 2 channel in office @ home, headphone at work). I have pre-amps for all 3 system.

With that said I have heard NOTHING but good things about Pioneer Elites MCACC and I know lots of folks using that AVR as their pre-amp for HT or even using the AVR itself without a dedicated amp. This way you can enjoy both HT and 2 channel through one system.

So if you can afford one of the Pioneer Elite SC models you might be able to get the best of both worlds, and then later on add a dedicated amp if you think you need it.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I run a Onk PR-SC 886 for theater and rotate out both tube and ss preamps. When I listen to 2-channel I just switch input cables into my main amp. Its a "hybrid" system with the best compromising, IMHO. Although, I just recently had to rebuild my Onk's hdmi board, while it was on the bench I watched Avatar with my tube pre. My dogs were freaking out during the jungle scenes,it was apparent they were hearing things they had never heard in surround! At one point I had to pull my male away from my left speaker fearing he was going to attack it! It brought me back to the days before Dolby/Thx... A high resolution 2-channel set up is still very impressive for movies.

Thread Information