Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Speaker crossover settings help, please?

Home Theater System
    RECEIVER:
    Denon AVR-1912
    http://usa.denon.com/us/product/page...2%28DenonNA%29

FRONT L/R:
    TSi100
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tsi100

CENTER:
    CS10
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/cs10

SURROUND L/R:
    OWM3
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/owm3

SURROUND BACK L/R:
    TSi100
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tsi100

SUBWOOFER:
    Klipsch Sub-10
    http://www.klipsch.com/sub-10-subwoofer/details#specs

I was wondering what the crossovers should be set for all the speakers? The Audyssey has the crossover settings as
    Front: 80 Hz
    Center: 40 Hz
    Surround: 150 Hz
    SurrBack: 60 Hz

The sub has a Lowpass (Hz) dial that goes from 40-120.
    If someone can help me, I'm trying to find out what are the best settings for the best sound.
    Thank you for any help that can be given, I really appreciate it.

Your center is only rated down to 53Hz. Somebody more knowledgeable will chime in but I'd set them all to ~80-100Hz and let the sub take care of below that. Turn the crossover point (the physical one) on the sub all the way up to 120Hz and let the AVR take care of it.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Default Thank so so much you!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Your center is only rated down to 53Hz. Somebody more knowledgeable will chime in but I'd set them all to ~80-100Hz and let the sub take care of below that. Turn the crossover point (the physical one) on the sub all the way up to 120Hz and let the AVR take care of it.
    Thank you so so much for the help. I just want to get the best sound. I am in the military and once a month the guys come over to watch a movie. So I want to give them a good experience.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

80Hz is what most folks find works best, it's also the THX standard.

Welcome to Club Polk and thanks for serving.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post

Welcome to Club Polk and thanks for serving.
    +1. With your set-up and for watching movies, this should be very good. Audyssey can be a little quirky. I'd also check what your channel levels (each speaker) are set at and report back to the forum. Thanks for your service and enjoy the system.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Default Channel Levels.

Channel Levels /Crossover
    CENTER: +1.0db /40hz
    FRONT L: -1.5db /80hz
    FRONT R: +0.5db /80hz
    SURR R: -0.5db /150hz
    SURR L: -1.5db /150hz
    S. BACK R: +1.0db /60hz
    S. BACK L: +2.5db /60hz
    SUBWOOFER: -7.0db /crossover set to 120hz
    With this setting I have to turn the volume to -16db to get a good sounds from everything. The volume goes from lowest to highest -80db to +12db and I have to put it at -16db to get a good movie sound.

My new setting:
    Channel Levels /Crossover
    CENTER: +2.5db /80hz
    FRONT L: +3.5db /80hz
    FRONT R: 3.0db /80hz
    SURR R: +2.5db /120hz
    SURR L: +4.5db /120hz
    S. BACK R: +4.0db /80hz
    S. BACK L: +5.5db /80hz
    SUBWOOFER: -3.0db /crossover set to 120hz

With this setting I have to turn the volume to -36db to get a good sounds from everything. The volume goes from lowest to highest -80db to +12db and I have to put it at -36db to get a good movie sound which is pretty good.What do you think of this. Thank you once again everyone.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Not bad, hard for us to say exactly because each room and set of ears is different but you are in the ball park for sure. I might turn that sub level up to 0 and see how you like it. The fronts seem bumped up too much for small speakers, maybe try around 0 or plus 1, give or take a couple on the plus side or negative, what ever it takes to balance the sound from your listening position. How big of a room is this in anyway ? Incidentally, not all that volume dial is going to be usable. The + side of that dial definitely not and getting close to the 0 mark is danger territory too.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by hotfist95 View Post
    Thank you so so much for the help. I just want to get the best sound. I am in the military and once a month the guys come over to watch a movie. So I want to give them a good experience.
    Thank you and your friends for their service in the military. I wanted to ask if you or someone you know has a db meter? (I bought one from Radio Shack years ago) . It makes setting up your system so much easier to get a nice even sound. Also, very important that you double check the speaker distances in your avr settings , I have a Yamaha avr with Ypao and it's also quirky about doing the auto settings. Hope we can help you along on this sir.

Default Room size and db meter

I am sorry the room size is 18 x 18 ft and we can get a db meter from work. Just to make sure all the sounds are supposed to measure out the same.

I also wanted to know what to set my crossover points. My Avr is Denon 1913. Speakers are Polk audio tl150. Sub is Polk audio psw10. I have the center channel at 100Hz. Fronts at 150Hz. Surrounds at 120Hz.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by hotfist95 View Post
    I am sorry the room size is 18 x 18 ft and we can get a db meter from work. Just to make sure all the sounds are supposed to measure out the same.
    Pretty good sized room for smallish speakers my friend. It may sound somewhat thin or drowned out in that big of a room.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Even the fronts? (left and Right).

I was under the impression that one of the advantages of separates, was getting an amp with enough power to push lower tones out of all the speakers. YPAO sets all my speakers except the rear surrounds to "large", but that's probably a different discussion.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103

Member Sales Rating: (3)

BC, YPAO does that on my 663 too, just go into the avr settings and change all speaker sizes to small and crossover setting to 80hz, let the sub do they heavy lifting. Did you have the crossover knob on your HSU sub turned to the max before running YPAO?

I have the sub's crossover set to external (e.g. the AVR does it). YPAO consistently gives me the W-3 level error ("significant volume differences between speakers") so the gain on the sub is probably only about 30-40%.

I guess I just figured with the B&K amp, I could push the fronts a bit harder with bass and have left them at "large".
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103

if the speakers are large ypao turns the sub off. you would have to set extra bass on. But then it may sound odd, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thread Information