Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumerian View Post
    Untill i became a member here and started reading the forums i never knew there are cables priced at 10K. did any of you did a A/B comparision are they really worth that much in terms of SQ.

Do we have any speakers in Polk which can really make use of such a cable?
    Yes. LSiMs and highly modified SDAs.

Here is my speaker cable upgrade path in my two channel system:

2003-2007 - Monster Cable Z3 Reference, $300 per 10 foot pair.
    Sept. 2007 - PS Audio xStream Resolution Reference, $800 per 3 meter pair.
    Nov. 2007 - AudioQuest Volcano 72v DBS, $3,300 per 8 foot pair.
    Jan. 2008 - AudioQuest Everest 72v DBS, $11,700 per 8 foot pair.

Sonic improvements as I went from Z3 Reference to xStream Resolution Reference to Volcano to Everest are described in these reviews:

PS-Audio-xStream-Resolution-Reference-Speaker-Cable-A-Review

A-Review-Of-Audioquest-Volcano-72-Volt-DBS-Speaker-Cable

To-The-Mountain-Top-Audioquest-Everest-Speaker-Cable

I think it is important to maintain a rational perspective in any hobby. When I started studying saxophone, I did not start out with expensive professional quality or luxury grade instruments. When I started studying photography, I did not start out with professional or luxury grade cameras, lenses, and film. In music and in photography, I started with equipment that was appropriate to my level of skill, experience, and understanding. I did not concern myself with how much money serious, more advanced hobbyists and professionals were spending on their gear. Even if someone had gifted me a pro quality camera and lenses in my early stages of photography, I would not have been able to appreciate all of its performance advantages over the entry level cameras and consumer grade film I was familiar with. The same would have been true had I been gifted a professional grade saxophone when I was first learning to play or a Mercedes Benz when I was first learning to drive.

I must admit that I am always puzzled by the apparent fascination that some people have with high performance and luxury grade audio equipment. I was never any more fascinated by high end audio equipment than I was by high end anything else (shoes, clothes, furniture, cameras, musical instruments, cars, etc.). I never wondered if higher end merchandise was "worth it". I took it for granted that it was, otherwise, there would not be a market for it. In every field of merchandise, there is a class of experienced and knowledgeable enthusiasts who seek high performance in function and aesthetics.

In audio, as with my other hobbies, I started with very modest equipment and upgraded to more advanced, higher performance (and, of course, higher cost) equipment over the years as my interest, knowledge and skill increased. There is nothing mystical or supernatural about my audio journey. I do not have superhuman hearing or "golden ears". I can discern and appreciate the performance advantages of high performance stereo equipment simply because I have trained my mind and ears in stereophonic perception. In other words, I have listened to a lot of different equipment over a period of time. Careful and consistent listening causes your ears (perceptive abilities) to evolve.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I actually raised a question in another forum about this.
    I asked about freakin expensive power cables.
    They are only 3ft long but cost over $1500 so my question was if the in-wall electric cable (I'm sure that doesn't even cost 10x less) is not of the same quality as the power cord, how can give more quality than the in-wall electric cable?
    Everyone/most mentioned that doesn't matter, it only matters from outlet to the amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikezappa View Post
    That statement that it only matters from outlet to amp makes no scientific sense to me. The line cord is not designed to be a filter.
    Why do you think some power cords come with ferrite beads? The shocking answer is that ferrite bead is used to suppress (filter) high frequency noise. What do you think the effect would be if a power cord, such as the PS Audio Statement SC power cord, had ferrite bead impregnated in the insulation jacket rather than in a canister at the end of the cord?

Here is a nice overview article to get you started:

Ferrite Bead

Cross talk noise in a phone line can be cancelled (filtered) simply by twisting the two insulated conductors together.

Twisted Pair

Shielding can reject (filter out) high frequency environmental noise.

The twist geometry, size of conductors and cross-sectional shape of conductors have all been proved to have effects on the noise performance of power cables.

I never cease to be amazed by the old, worn out fallacious argument "how can 3 feet of cable make a difference when the wire in the wall and on the power poles is the cheap stuff?"

It seems that the concept that a power signal can be cleaned up, that a power cord can be designed to reject and filter noise, is science fiction to some people and inconceivable to others.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Anything is easily debunked with a closed mind and lack of experience.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Anything is easily debunked with a closed mind and lack of experience.
    Yes, some people get upset when the facts interfere with their fantasy.

Some end up with faces like this
    When they have taken the time to understand better this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Some end up with faces like this
    Sooner or later, we all end up like that. At least if we have an open mind on any subject, and are willing to listen to alternate viewpoints. Nobody is right all the time.

Congratulations on the amp. Now you need to get some good power, interconnects, and speaker cables to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Sooner or later, we all end up like that. At least if we have an open mind on any subject, and are willing to listen to alternate viewpoints. Nobody is right all the time.

Congratulations on the amp. Now you need to get some good power, interconnects, and speaker cables to go with it.
    And just in case he missed it, what power cords might you recommend?

I'm still trying to figure out where I might want to go power wise. There are a lot of options and they are all a bit more than I want to spend on them at the moment. It sucks when you narrow down the weaknesses you want to address and it still runs over a page long...
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thread Information