Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Center advice needed

I have a chance to pick up a CS1000P. I've lusted after one for years even though I've never even heard one or even seen one in person-it just seems neat. Currently I have a CS400i and it seems to do the trick quite nicely. The mains are RTi12.

Questions.
    1. If a center such as the 1000 is as amazing as some claim, why doesn't anyone make such a thing?
    2. Will the 1000p match the RTi12 nicely?
    3. Is this speaker supported by Polk anymore?

What are the pros/cons to this change aside from the 1000p being an absolute monster (that doesn't bother me in the least)? Is it so much better than the 400i that I shouldn't even be asking questions?

Thanks so much.
    Have a wheelie nice day!

Yamaha RX-V3300
    Yamaha CDC-585
    Yamaha DV-C6480
    RTi12 mains
    CS400i center
    RTi38 r/l surrounds
    OWM3 presense
    PSW 202
    RTi100 B channel powered bedroom speakers

Member Sales Rating: (6)

1. If a center such as the 1000 is as amazing as some claim, why doesn't anyone make such a thing?
    - What do you mean?
    2. Will the 1000p match the RTi12 nicely?
    - It's not a perfect match. The CSi and CSiA series centers are perfect matches.
    3. Is this speaker supported by Polk anymore?
    - maybe, but you should call Polk CS to confirm.

What are the pros/cons to this change aside from the 1000p being an absolute monster (that doesn't bother me in the least)? Is it so much better than the 400i that I shouldn't even be asking questions?

- pro is better bass.
    - con for both the 1000p and the 400i is that they are not matches to your RTi12's.

I would go for a matching center. The best center channels for you are the CSi5 and CSiA6. The CSiA6 is just a cosmetically updated current version of the CSi5, but both are perfect matches and both are excellent center channel speakers.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

i've the rti12s as well and very happy with the csi5. it's around $225 on ebay now, very fair price. A6 is way expensive at anywhere near retail price. anything else will sound weird.

Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    [I]- con for both the 1000p and the 400i is that they are not matches to your RTi12's.

I would go for a matching center. The best center channels for you are the CSi5 and CSiA6. The CSiA6 is just a cosmetically updated current version of the CSi5, but both are perfect matches and both are excellent center channel speakers.
    Well if he's happy with the 400i, then he will be happy with the timbre of the 1000p. I would say biggest con is that that generation of amps are known to go bad. I am running a cs400i with a little mirage 8 in sub crossed over at about 60hz, and it sounds great. I can't imagine the 1000p being any better, and its a more cheaper option that's easier to fix if the amp goes bad since the sub was very inexpenseive to begin with.

If the price is right it might be worth a shot, but I wouldn't want to risk that amp giving out...

The CS1000p amps are not as prevalent as the others from what I've seen, but they can and likely will get bad caps if they don't already have them. The CS1000p I had was a much better center than the CS400 and CS400i. Given your RTi12's though, I'd consider getting the matching CSi5 over the CS1000p as the 5 is still a great center and will mesh better with the system.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thanks all for the feedback. I think I may stick with the 400i since I already own it and like it. If I trip over some funds perhaps I'll pick up the CSi5.

I'm still intrigued by the 1000p and would love to have one to listen to back to back with my current set up. I'd have no problem coughing up money if it were truly better.

Why doesn't anyone make such a center channel? It seems to me that with so much sound coming from the center that the 1000p ought to be just right. I've never seen anything else like it (powered) or with so many drivers. Maybe that is why I'm fascinated.
    Have a wheelie nice day!

Yamaha RX-V3300
    Yamaha CDC-585
    Yamaha DV-C6480
    RTi12 mains
    CS400i center
    RTi38 r/l surrounds
    OWM3 presense
    PSW 202

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by ForceV4 View Post
    ...Why doesn't anyone make such a center channel? It seems to me that with so much sound coming from the center that the 1000p ought to be just right. I've never seen anything else like it (powered) or with so many drivers. Maybe that is why I'm fascinated.
    What do you mean by "such a center a channel"? If you mean a center with powered subs, the reason that most centers don't have powered subs is the same reason that most speakers in general don't have powered subs: you can't get great bass that way. Great bass comes from big dedicated subwoofers, not from hybrid/powered center channels or towers.

As far as the quantity of drivers, quantity does not equal quality. There are tons of huge center channels out there, some with lots of drivers and some with just a few.

A center channel is no different than a tower speaker. When I think about the best tower speakers I've heard, none of them have built-in powered subs, and some of them are simple 2-way designs with just (1) tweeter and (1) woofer.

Get that CSi5 and see what you think. If you find a good deal on a used one, you could just flip it if you don't like it, but I think you will.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Falconcry72, how dare you introduce common sense, logic and sound reasoning!

You guys/gals are right. No CS1000P for me. I'll see about the CSi5 shortly. Thanks for the feedback and help.
    Have a wheelie nice day!

Yamaha RX-V3300
    Yamaha CDC-585
    Yamaha DV-C6480
    RTi12 mains
    CS400i center
    RTi38 r/l surrounds
    OWM3 presense
    PSW 202

Drivers!
    Look at the Paradigm webpage and click in center.
    Name:  parcenter.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  199.5 KB

no built in powered sub.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Rotel RC-1550
    Rotel RB-1070
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by ForceV4 View Post
    Falconcry72, how dare you introduce common sense, logic and sound reasoning!

You guys/gals are right. No CS1000P for me. I'll see about the CSi5 shortly. Thanks for the feedback and help.
    If you do have a Frys in your neck of the woods, they do have the CSi5 on sale for $99.00!

Great thread

Thread Information