Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Picked up a pair of SDA CRS

I had no plans to do so, but a pair came up on Craigslist one mile from my place of work for an exceptional price, so I sent out an email... I didn't hear back immediately, so I figured I'd been aced out by someone--24 hours later, I got my email just as I was packing up at work to go home, and 20 minutes later I was looking at them in person.

I'm aware that the two-tweeter CRS were superseded by the CRS+, but these were absolutely pristine, and the price was exceptionably reasonable, so I loaded them up and brought 'em home. I can see what people are saying when they mention "additional effects/artifacts" that are introduced by the inclusion of the dimensional tweeter. The SDA effect is dramatic, almost outrageous with these, as compared to my 2BTLs. It's fun: enveloping and involving, but I think perhaps a bit much for me to consider them as a daily driver. I had a friend over last night, and as he heard the first notes of Steely Dan's 'Gaslight Abbie' his eyes got big and he held his hands up where a pair of headphones would sit on his head and said "The sound is right here." The 2BTLs definitely throw a stage that's wider than they are spaced, but not quite to that extent!

I had them temporarily mounted atop my 2BTLs, a bit too high and probably not quite close enough to the wall, so I know I haven't heard them at their best. As such (and with bone-stock crossovers), they were definitely not putting out the bass like I believe they can. It's hard to imagine going all-in on modding these as, just the tweeters alone would be double what I paid for the pair! But that doesn't mean I don't plan to enjoy them. I'll definitely roll them in as a change-of-pace speaker, and I'm wondering if I can squeeze them into my bedroom rig...

Anyway, I've seen others on this site say that it's worth picking up a pair of dimensional-tweeter SDAs if they're local, clean, and fully functional, even if they're not the final designs that SDAs came to have. Having done so, I can agree with that advice.

Jay

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Those look very nice. Beautiful condition. Enjoy those :) i would love to own them also with stands.
    RANDY
    ~SDA2b Adcom gfa555 565pre 555t 600cd Pioneer PLa35d
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer
    ~Marantz 2252b 5025b 6300tt Tech-a4010s monitor 7b
    ~Yamaha cr2040 Advent2 Monitor 10a
    ~Rotel RV555 monitor 4 series 2 -office-
    ~Pioneer seQ404 2-4channel headphones

Nice enjoy they say you can disable the dimensional tweeter as I have read on this very forum.

i just got a pair last week so i know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by agfrost View Post
    ... I'm aware that the two-tweeter CRS were superseded by the CRS+, but these were absolutely pristine, and the price was exceptionably reasonable, so I loaded them up and brought 'em home. I can see what people are saying when they mention "additional effects/artifacts" that are introduced by the inclusion of the dimensional tweeter. The SDA effect is dramatic, almost outrageous with these, as compared to my 2BTLs. It's fun: enveloping and involving, but I think perhaps a bit much for me to consider them as a daily driver. I had a friend over last night, and as he heard the first notes of Steely Dan's 'Gaslight Abbie' his eyes got big and he held his hands up where a pair of headphones would sit on his head and said "The sound is right here." The 2BTLs definitely throw a stage that's wider than they are spaced, but not quite to that extent! ...
    I mostly agree. CRS may have an edge over the 2Bs in SDA effect. But after lots of positioning of speakers and changing my seating position to maximize SDA effect of my CRS+ (and 2Bs), I've found that I don't like the feeling of having headphones on when listening to most music. I know that might be what you get when SDA speakers are set up at the recommended distances as instructed by Polk but it just not for me. It is interesting for a while but I always go back to having my seating position farther away from the speakers than the recommended distance which reduces the feeling that I'm wearing headphones. Even if I preferred the speakers set up equidistant from my seating position I couldn't leave it that way due to furniture layout in my living room.

I do like a wide soundstage - out past the limits of the speakers but when it gets to where I feel I have headphones on I feel too constrained, or trapped, by the sound. I prefer the soundstage of the 2Bs over that of the CRS(+) because it feels more natural to me. I like a wide soundstage that is in front of me instead of enveloping me completely.

I know everyone is different but for me I strive to set my system up to get the sensation that I'm sitting center stage at a live concert and far enough away from the stage that I'm viewing and hearing the entire stage at once. I don't get that feeling when wearing headphones.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I think my preferences match yours. I haven't really had opportunity to play with positioning, etc. with the CRS; the above were just my observations when I simply plopped them atop my 2BTLs. It certainly was an eye-opening (ear-opening?) difference having the CRS installed in my rig. I reminded myself that it's nice to have a change every now and again--I also enjoyed the period of time a while back when I had my modded 11TLs back in while I was doing my TL-ing project on the 2Bs, but the reunion made me appreciate the 2Bs that much more!

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    I mostly agree. CRS may have an edge over the 2Bs in SDA effect. But after lots of positioning of speakers and changing my seating position to maximize SDA effect of my CRS+ (and 2Bs), I've found that I don't like the feeling of having headphones on when listening to most music. I know that might be what you get when SDA speakers are set up at the recommended distances as instructed by Polk but it just not for me. It is interesting for a while but I always go back to having my seating position farther away from the speakers than the recommended distance which reduces the feeling that I'm wearing headphones. Even if I preferred the speakers set up equidistant from my seating position I couldn't leave it that way due to furniture layout in my living room.

I do like a wide soundstage - out past the limits of the speakers but when it gets to where I feel I have headphones on I feel too constrained, or trapped, by the sound. I prefer the soundstage of the 2Bs over that of the CRS(+) because it feels more natural to me. I like a wide soundstage that is in front of me instead of enveloping me completely.

I know everyone is different but for me I strive to set my system up to get the sensation that I'm sitting center stage at a live concert and far enough away from the stage that I'm viewing and hearing the entire stage at once. I don't get that feeling when wearing headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by agfrost View Post
    I had no plans to do so, but a pair came up on Craigslist one mile from my place of work for an exceptional price, so I sent out an email... I didn't hear back immediately, so I figured I'd been aced out by someone--24 hours later, I got my email just as I was packing up at work to go home, and 20 minutes later I was looking at them in person.

I'm aware that the two-tweeter CRS were superseded by the CRS+, but these were absolutely pristine, and the price was exceptionably reasonable, so I loaded them up and brought 'em home. I can see what people are saying when they mention "additional effects/artifacts" that are introduced by the inclusion of the dimensional tweeter. The SDA effect is dramatic, almost outrageous with these, as compared to my 2BTLs. It's fun: enveloping and involving, but I think perhaps a bit much for me to consider them as a daily driver. I had a friend over last night, and as he heard the first notes of Steely Dan's 'Gaslight Abbie' his eyes got big and he held his hands up where a pair of headphones would sit on his head and said "The sound is right here." The 2BTLs definitely throw a stage that's wider than they are spaced, but not quite to that extent!

I had them temporarily mounted atop my 2BTLs, a bit too high and probably not quite close enough to the wall, so I know I haven't heard them at their best. As such (and with bone-stock crossovers), they were definitely not putting out the bass like I believe they can. It's hard to imagine going all-in on modding these as, just the tweeters alone would be double what I paid for the pair! But that doesn't mean I don't plan to enjoy them. I'll definitely roll them in as a change-of-pace speaker, and I'm wondering if I can squeeze them into my bedroom rig...

Anyway, I've seen others on this site say that it's worth picking up a pair of dimensional-tweeter SDAs if they're local, clean, and fully functional, even if they're not the final designs that SDAs came to have. Having done so, I can agree with that advice.

Jay
    Very nice find. As mentioned, disconnecting the Dimensional Tweeters should improve the SDA effect. Rebuilding the Crossovers, and changing the Stereo Tweeters to RDO-194s will improve their overall sound substantially. Unfortunately, since they're 2nd generation, you cannot improve the quality or quantity of the bass output (crossover upgrades aside) like you can with the 3rd and 4th generation CRS+s. The 2nd generation SDAs don't have the secondary Dimensional Inductor, which when replaced with a low DCR Inductor, can dramatically improve the bass output.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by westmassguy View Post
    Unfortunately, since they're 2nd generation, you cannot improve the quality or quantity of the bass output (crossover upgrades aside) like you can with the 3rd and 4th generation CRS+s. The 2nd generation SDAs don't have the secondary Dimensional Inductor, which when replaced with a low DCR Inductor, can dramatically improve the bass output.

Not to start a firestorm for blasphemy but with a little math/ measuremnets/ testing there is no reason this could not be added to any model that does not already have it. With proper implementation it should not alter (or at most have a minimal effect) what is already there and would allow the botom end to not be affected by the cancellation effect of the dimensional circuit.
    Last edited by Mr. Bubbles; 09-01-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
    Not to start a firestorm for blasphemy but with a little math/ measuremnets/ testing there is no reason this could not be added to any model that does not already have it. With proper implementation it should not alter (or at most have a minimal effect) what is already there and would allow the botom end to not be affected by the cancellation effect of the dimensional circuit.
    That would require a complete re-design of the dimensional module, including the existing inductor, capacitor, and the addition of additional very large value capacitors and another inductor for each side. Might as well buy a pair of 4th generation CRS+s
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Thread Information