Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SDA 2B Value

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    I think that statement needs a lot of qualification. Pound for pound, the 1.2TL's will lay waste to a pair of 2A's or 2B's. That's not a knock on the 2's by any stretch. However, they require a LOT more power in order to bring out what they are capable of. They also need a bigger room. You may have amplification/space that is just fine for the 2B's, but not up to snuff for the big boys.

When I bought my first pair of SDA's back in 1989, the shop I bought them from had a beautiful listening room. Large, open, and acoustically treated. I can't remember what the system is they were using to demonstrate them, but it was serious quality. Ooodles of power. The sales guy demonstrated the 2B's for me, since that was my price point. But then he switched out the 2B's for a pair of SRS's, and there simply was no comparison. Again, not a knock on the 2's. The price points were/are totally different.

If you take a pair of 2B's, do all the mods on them that you want, and then take a pair of 1.2TL's and mod them comparably (same caps, resistors, rings, spikes, dynamat, etc.), and put them in a room that is adequately sized for the 1.2's, with power that is adequately sized for the 1.2's, and then compare them, the 1.2's will win hands down. Sure, if you have an amp that is not powerful enough for the 1.2's but can feed the 2's just fine, you may think the 2's sound better, but once you climb the ladder with the rest of the chain, there is no contest. It's all about synergy across the entire system.

Though I do agree with much of what you say I still disagree that the big boys sound better than the 2's. But each one of us is different. I have tried all of my SDA's on the same equipment with thw amplifiers varying from an integrated Marantz 3250 to a Carver M4.0T with several others in between, passive bi amped in some cases. I have also used them in different rooms but tried all in the same rooms. The smallest being 13ft x 10ft x 8h and the largest 28 x 16 x 9 with several open archways and a hall. I have the 2A's, 1C's (actually tried 2 different pairs of these), SRS, and 1.2TL. When it comes to power handling and massaging my male ego, the SRS and 1.2's win hands down definately. However the 2A's have come out on top in each case for overall tonal balance and percieved bottom end range as well as detail. The 1C's are the weakest of all I have heard in my system or others. The SRS and 1.2 TL's definately surpass the 1C's in all areas but still are not quite as pleasing to my ears as the 2's. Overall I listen to the SRS more than any as they show off well in the main living room and sound great, but if I had to go with only one pair of SDA's it would be 2A/B's.

I have described it before but believ the reason for my choice comes down to several things; #1 the cabinet volume/ driver/ passive surface area. #2 the number of drivers is kept to a minimum reducung time alignment and phasing issues between the multiple drivers. The SRS and 1.2 do have the progreesive point source tweets but do not have any such characterisitc with the mids/ bass drivers. The human ear can detect the arival of the same sound from different sources at differing distances from the ear. With the SRs and 1.2 this creates a minimum of two arrival times even if your ear is perfectly situated in the center of the drivers but usually 3 or 4 which muddy the sound even more. #3 flexibility; the smaller ones will work in more situatuions. This last has nothing to do with sound but as I age I may very well have to downsize as many others have to do and not only are the 2's easier to move but will work in more situations.

Again this is my take and I speak for no one else. I hear what I hear and have no clue if anyone else hears the same thing the same way. We all have a different hearinfg response jsut as speakers differ in the response curves. For me I prefer the 2A/B's then the SRS, then the 1.2 next would be the CRS with the 1C a distant last. I would take those if I had no other SDA's but do not prefer them in any way. I have my current pair in hopes of one day finding some passives for SRS 2's ans building me set of those. I have also not yet heard the 2.3 or 3.1 and make no judgement on those.
    Last edited by Mr. Bubbles; 08-31-2013 at 11:44 PM.

this is a correction to the first paragraph of the last post; The marantz integrated was an 1152DC, same as the 3250 pre which i also used with single model 140 as well as dual 140's and also a 170DC.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I guess everyone's ears are different, but when I heard the Big SRS's vs. the 2B's 25 years ago, there was no mistaking the SRS as the better speaker, and I would imagine the 1.2's are the same way.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Mystery, just to expand a little further on the your interest w/ DCM TFs both Mr. Bubbles and I covered alot but there are a few more considerations to look for. 1. these are a sock style speakers and have a wacky headliner material behind that and is a real PINTA to work on.2.At least my 350s are a foam surround type which has it's own age limitations( higher models might be different).3. Footprint, this is where it gets very interesting they are about the same height as 2bs around 38'' and 40'' for the 2bs as for width 15'' for the 350s and 161/2 for 2bs and depth is the real difference w/ the 2bs @ 11 1/2" and the 350s at only 41/2" They do have a pull out steady bar out from the rear bottom that could be used as a judge for spacing from a back wall.Also because of the sock set up they tend to fade w/ sunlight very badly as seen many examples on E-Bay.Thankfully all was done when I got mine and you can probably see me patting me self on the back right now.I would call them a great sounding speaker and again 0 comparison w/ the SDA 2bs.The story behind the Time Window 7s is that only 200 pairs were ever produced and therefor they are " HEIRLOOM TYPE" speakers and I have never ever seen any for sale ........Lew

$300 is not an unreasonable price. If you want to see some unreasonable prices, go take a look at some of the banged-up, junked-up, falling-apart, hurricane-surviving SDAs that people sell on Ebay sometimes.

$300 for these speakers in presumably good-excellent condition is well worth it. If you evaluate them as 8/10, it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    I guess everyone's ears are different, but when I heard the Big SRS's vs. the 2B's 25 years ago, there was no mistaking the SRS as the better speaker, and I would imagine the 1.2's are the same way.
    I would probably have agreed completely 20 years ago. I was 24 and unmarried, still had regular parties and my ears as well as knowledge hadn't fully matured. I am sure I would have chosen the big boys back then too, but it prob wouldn't have been for the sound quality so much as the badd ass speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
    I am sure I would have chosen the big boys back then too, but it prob wouldn't have been for the sound quality so much as the badd ass speaker.
    Nothing wrong with "badd ass speaker[s]"

As an owner of SRSs, 2Bs, and now 1.2TLs, I still prefer the big boys. That said, the 2Bs are excellent.

Thread Information