Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Looking for a bit of help. Small footprint amp/DAC

I'm fed up with the piss poor sound my Panny plasma puts out and I'm ready do something about it. I've got a CSiA4 in the closet and want to find a solution to integrate it into the system. What I'm looking for is something that can take a digital signal via fiberoptics and power the center. It'd be nice if it had the ability to output both signals in mono, but not necessary. The kicker is I need it to be in a very small footprint, much smaller than your run of the mill receiver. The idea is that the TV will eventually go above the fireplace, so I need something that can sit next to the A4 on the mantle.

I'm not looking for audiophile grade sound, just a fuller range of sound. I'm also looking for the cheapest options available. TIA
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Sounds like you should start shopping for a soundbar

Skip: I am confused here: Is this going into your Usher or Maggie system, or is it your attempt to utilize the center like a nice surround bar in a stand-alone system?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

It's just to get outboard sound from the tv downstairs. I don't wan to throw a lot of money into a solution like I would with a soundbar. I was hoping there was something in the $20-30 range that might fit.

Well, a thought would be to just find some really cheap small bookshelves (Dayton Parts express 25 for the pair) + a T-Amp. Realize that doesnt utilize your center channel at all, and is a bit above budget but it would give you a true left/right and sound a bit better. And its going to be cheaper than most surround bars.

The Daytons I am thinking about are small enough I think to fit on a mantle....

Anyway you look at it, your still not going to have volume control through the unit which may be your biggest problem.

Here are some small amps to look at: http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...37&postcount=2

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

I got an email from Newegg this morning about a 40% off sale on a Polk soundbar systen. Deleted the email and I can't remember which on, you might want to check it out.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by zane77 View Post
    I got an email from Newegg this morning about a 40% off sale on a Polk soundbar systen. Deleted the email and I can't remember which on, you might want to check it out.
    Its still 200+ even with the discount. I got the same one....

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by zane77 View Post
    I think you mean this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290219.

Plus the coupon code: 25OFFAUG30D gets you down to $255.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    It's just to get outboard sound from the tv downstairs. I don't wan to throw a lot of money into a solution like I would with a soundbar. I was hoping there was something in the $20-30 range that might fit.
    You want an amp and a dac for under 30 clams ? Dude, call us when you wake up.

Nothing I'm aware of will fit your need as described for that price. The only other option as I see it is buying a cheap-o dd receiver off of craigslist which can be had for that price. Problem is you'd have to set the receiver off the mantel and use a long toslink cable.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I'm not aware of a cheap DAC/amp combo in one unit, but these are available separately:

FiiO D3 for $24.78: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-A...words=fiio+dac

Lepai LP-2020A+ for $24.99: http://www.amazon.com/Version-Upgrad.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

I haven't tried them myself, but it seems to me they'd work best with a pair of bookshelf or wall mount speakers rather than one center channel.

On the TV set I have there is no toslink output, so I'd use the RCA analog outs and skip the DAC.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Why not just sell the center and get one of the cheaper soundbars from Polk? You'll end up spending a few bucks, but you'll have a better solution on your hands I think.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (2)

http://www.parts-express.com/brand/topping/470

the aforementioned Lepai amps are astonishingly good sounding given their prices...
    all the best,
    mrh

I know it was a long shot, but I didnt know if there was some Chinese crap that would do the job. I wish the tv had analog outs as that would put me right wher I want to be. The toslink crap throws a wrench into those plans. It is merely a shot in the dark in case someone had seen something I hadn't. It could be 10 years ol for all I care, all I want it to do is decode and power one speaker. Even a two piece unit with a crap Dac and a t-amp would do it for me; I just wanted a solution that could be hidden with a little effort and still sound better than some crap $50 sound bar.

By the way, the word of the thread is crap for those not following. I know there are decent bars out there, I just don't want to pay for them is all. It isn't worth $200 to me.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I have one of the FiiO amps for my PC system and it's very nice.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Just curious is all, does your plasma have detachable speakers ? I'm wondering if it has enough juice to run that center by itself or if upgraded speakers are available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Just curious is all, does your plasma have detachable speakers ? I'm wondering if it has enough juice to run that center by itself or if upgraded speakers are available for it.
    Nope. My only option is toslink.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

How are you going to combine the stereo signal back into mono for the speaker or can your optical output of your TV be set to mono?

Quote Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post
    How are you going to combine the stereo signal back into mono for the speaker or can your optical output of your TV be set to mono?
    This is the problem. I do not think it can be done,

So my best idea is this: Sell the center for $125.

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-A...words=fiio+dac

Buy some small sats, like, I don't know, these : http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...light=def+tech

And I will throw in an amp that I have laying around for $25:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380

If you go with the bigger speakers, you still have money left over for a six-pack...

Thread Information