Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yamaha P-2200

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default Yamaha P-2200

Hey guys, our sound man at church turned me onto this amp and I don't know much about this kind of pro-gear.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...00/?mode=model

Anyway, just curious if this would be something acceptable for a 2ch audio or Home Theater system? I can see it's a beast of an amp and weighs almost 45lbs. 240W per channel into 8 ohms. I'm going to probably sell this, but would like to know a little more about it if anyone has some input to offer on possible configurations. Thanks!

Name:  amp2200.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  yamaha_2002M_rear.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  72.3 KB

Member Sales Rating: (0)

That Yamaha is highly collectible. It will serve well driving speakers in a 2-channel system or HT system mains.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    That Yamaha is highly collectible. It will serve well driving speakers in a 2-channel system or HT system mains.
    So this isn't a typical PA amp for nightclubs and DJs?

For me that would be a keeper, it clearly has xlr and unbalanced rca inputs ,more than enough power and looks to be in very good shape. If you do not have an external amp why not. It's listed as more powerful than my Adcom ,has meters which most people like, thermal protection led, and volume pots that are not on every power amplifier......If it were a Crown PA type of amp then that's a whole nother story.

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    For me that would be a keeper, it clearly has xlr and unbalanced rca inputs ,more than enough power and looks to be in very good shape. If you do not have an external amp why not. It's listed as more powerful than my Adcom ,has meters which most people like, thermal protection led, and volume pots that are not on every power amplifier......If it were a Crown PA type of amp then that's a whole nother story.
    Those are some canned images I picked off the web. The actual unit has a bit of rack rash, but our sound guy told me it works and sounds good. Only thing he pointed out wrong was one of the VU lamps is out. I'll clean it up later and post some pics of the actual unit. Been researching some on this and it does appear to be a desirable amp. I just don't have anything I can use it for, so once I kinda get a better idea of what I got and get it cleaned up, it's going to the auction block.

You could hook a cheap a$$ 20.00 cd player with volume control to it & youd be good to go-- id play around with that some :)
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630
    Pioneer-SA9800-TXd1000-CTf9191-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

You should definitely test it out in your system. I don't know much about it, but I have a feeling it's not designed for home audio. From a quick google search it appears to be around 30 years old, and often used in clubs.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Vintage 1976.....this is a PA stereo power amp..very reliable pro gear. If you use this in your home setup,be prepared for some massive power consumption . Was used for stage sound reinforcement and club use....

I've read some very favorable opinions regarding this amp on SH and audiokarma. I don't have the xlr cables or components to test it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37mLc2sxbfA

I have the samp amp driving my srs 2 with great results! Love the older yamaha pro amps some of the best older amps out there IMO

AS for rack rash there is a thing called black spray paint and blue painters tape to mark off all essential areas.I would get it if both channels worked and all the other stuff I forementioned.

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    AS for rack rash there is a thing called black spray paint and blue painters tape to mark off all essential areas.I would get it if both channels worked and all the other stuff I forementioned.
    Where can I buy some black paint?

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Where can I buy some black paint?
    +1 where is all of the black paint??? Lol, those old Yamaha's were definitely used quite a bit in discos, for small bands PA's, for Church sound reinforcement(as mentioned by Mike),etc.. I've seen a number of ads over the years where a Church is selling most of their sound gear and upgrading, a lot of that equipment sold is still working great and it's many times Yamaha gear. Solid dependable gear that Yamaha is. I've used pro audio gear before in HT ,usually for driving surround speakers or the subwoofer. 9 times out of 10 pro gear uses XLR and or 1/4" inputs.

Well, after wiping this thing down and getting the dirt of this beast, it looks a lot more presentable. I plugged it in and powered it on and discovered there's multiple bulbs for each of the VU meters. Only a couple are out on the right VU, but it still lights up. I'm thinking about hooking this thing up just to hear how it sounds. I have an integrated with RCA preout/main in terminals, but not sure how to rig it since this amp utilizes XLRs. I know they make adapter cables, but what I'm unsure about are the 2 XLR inputs (1 male, 1 female) for each channel. Can someone advise me please on how to rig this amp correctly?

These amps were made for use with a mixer or soundboard...they don't hook up like your home gear.

The P2200 will work just fine with home audio gear. Although the inputs are XLR, and 1/4' TRS, they are unbalanced, and only for convenience in connecting to other pro equipment. The XLR inputs hot pin (pin 2 or pin 3) is switchable on the rear panel).

This would not be the first amp manufacturer to have unbalanced connections on XLR inputs. I have owned Nikko Professional Series amps in the past that were like that.

XLR to RCA adapters can be used with the P2200 that allow continued use of your regular RCA cables. I use such adapters with my party system to connect my consumer amps to my pro electronic crossover and EQ with no loss of sound quality.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-438

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-428
    Last edited by Glen B; 09-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

I have an integrated with RCA preout/main in terminals, but not sure how to rig it since this amp utilizes XLRs. I know they make adapter cables, but what I'm unsure about are the 2 XLR inputs (1 male, 1 female) for each channel. Can someone advise me please on how to rig this amp correctly?
    Send me an e-mail and I will reply with copies of the owner's and service manuals.

Its a small world. One just showed up for sale on cl in my area tonight ( tampa bay ) asking 700.00 same one ? Discription same, down to the rack rash
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Glen, thanks for the input. I have a copy of the owners manual I downloaded off the net. It doesn't give any diagrams as far as hook up options, at least the one I have doesn't. Now, if I'm understanding your post correctly, I can use either XLR input with either of those adapters. Do you have a preference as to which?

I have this thing listed on Honolulu craigslist now. Asking 250.00 for it. No hits yet. I'd prefer to sell this locally because shipping is going to be costly. If I can't move it locally, I might try ebay. Rough calculations have this costing over 100.00 to ship to the U.S. mainland.
    Last edited by Keiko; 09-05-2013 at 05:05 AM.

I would use the male XLR adapter, since male plugs are standard for input. The male and female XLR inputs, and 1/4" inputs are all connected in parallel. Two amps can be daisy chained by connecting an XLR cable from the female input to the (male) input of another amp. That way, two amps can be driven by a single preamp/crossover without using a Y adapter. Diagrams are not needed. I think the written instructions in the OM are pretty straightforward.
    Last edited by Glen B; 09-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Hey guys, our sound man at church turned me onto this amp and I don't know much about this kind of pro-gear.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...00/?mode=model

Anyway, just curious if this would be something acceptable for a 2ch audio or Home Theater system? I can see it's a beast of an amp and weighs almost 45lbs. 240W per channel into 8 ohms. I'm going to probably sell this, but would like to know a little more about it if anyone has some input to offer on possible configurations. Thanks!

Attachment 89365
    My understanding is this the "Pro" version of the Yamaha M2 amplifier. The M2 is a pretty highly regarded vintage Yamaha amplifier - I have one and like it a lot. I believe the P2200 would work fine for home application

Quote Originally Posted by cjmustang69 View Post
    My understanding is this the "Pro" version of the Yamaha M2 amplifier. The M2 is a pretty highly regarded vintage Yamaha amplifier - I have one and like it a lot. I believe the P2200 would work fine for home application
    Here's a comparison of the two. Quite similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	m_2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	89685 Click image for larger version

Name:	p_2200.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	89686

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Kewl gear Mike. I really dig the meters.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Did you get all the lights working on the meters Mike? Those amps look beautiful, so well engineered.

Its a sweet amp. If I had it in hand, after giving it a thorough checkup, I would have already replaced the one-way bare-wire-only output posts with 5-way posts, and replaced the 1/4" phone jacks with gold-plated RCAs.

Hey...did ya ever get hold of those cable interfaces so you can put it to use in yer home gear? That amp will punch!! Used to put em in clubs...

Member Sales Rating: (4)

A keeper and it's free? What a luck some guys have?

Does it work?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

I only powered it up. With the exception of a couple of meter bulbs being out, our sound guy says it works fine. I have it listed on Honolulu craigslist now. Hoping to sell locally cuz shipping this thing is gonna cost. Whatever I get, I'm going to give the funds back to the church.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ele/4042333164.html

Thats very nice of you. With expenses the way they are these days im sure every little bit helps
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630
    Pioneer-SA9800-TXd1000-CTf9191-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Thread Information