Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thumbs up Small bookshelf speakers that impressed you...

For me there are few pairs (not in that particular order):

1. Monitor Audio MA301:
    Very good sound, smooth and clean. Little bit relaxed but they have amazing stereo image. It was like a wall of sound.
    Very impressive.

2. JBL L20t: Man these are really awesome paired with a small 8" Velodyne sub.
    All the high details are there, voice is amazingly clear and balanced.
    I like their mid tone is even more than JBL L166's. Some of the bigger JBL's have kinda metallic tone that's distracting and while L20t has similar characteristics but not a whole lot to distract.
    However, without a sub, they sound dry and increasing bass makes them worse but paired with a sub and they are fun to listen to.
    These are supposedly home version of L1??
    Here is a pic on top of JBL L166's:

3. Polk M4's with peerless: These also should be mentioned even though the previous two were preferred over these. I found them little dry without proper sub setup.

What's on your list?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polk Monitor 4 with Peerless (4)-small.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	95971DSC00262-small2.jpgMonitor Audio MA 301 Speakers (4)-small.jpg

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

hrm I'd have to say, Klipsch B10 bookies sounded decent for what they are. Also the Tannoy Mercury V 1's I have are fairly decent for a smaller bookie, not as compact like the Klipsch's are however.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 03-21-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

B&W CM1s have amazing detail and soundstage for their size.
    Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 are really laid back with great detail and imaging too.
    Front- RTI A7,(powered by ADCOM GFA 5500)
    Center- CSI5,
    Surrounds- RTI 6 and Rear Surrounds- TS 15.
    TV-Panasonic P55ST50
    SUB-SVS PB10-NSD and PSW505
    Receiver- Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  437.3 KB

Element Millenium
    Music || Chord Hugo DAC | Usher 777 DMD | B&K Ref | High Rez Digital |
    Movie || SMX ProCurve 2.35 1.30 | Seymour CenterStage xD AT Screen |
    Garage || LSIM 705 | NAD | Sony CDP |

My baby's
    Attached Images  
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Energy RC-10

Monitor Audio RX-1
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Epos ELS-3

Polka Audio RT25i

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    My baby's
    CURTAINS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by halenhoang View Post
    Element Millenium
    Sigh....

Outside of those two above....

Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne
    Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by halenhoang View Post
    Attachment 95974
    Element Millenium
    Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    My baby's
    Man those look nice but wayyyy outta my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    Energy RC-10
    Monitor Audio RX-1
    I'm keeping my eyes open for RX line.
    I heard RX-6 is the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Epos ELS-3
    Polka Audio RT25i
    H9
    RT25i?
    Hmmm... I should have grabbed for $25.

JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Man those look nice but wayyyy outta my pocket.
    As much buying/selling as you do, I really think you could afford gear you think you can't. Flip that stuff and get you one nice piece. I'm not trying to bash your style at all - I could simply see you greatly appreciating the move to current technology. I was where you are a few years ago, and once I stepped up to the plate, I haven't missed the revolving door at all.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    RT25i?
    Hmmm... I should have grabbed for $25.
    Ummm....yeah! No brainer.

I was and continue to be surprised how good they sound. Upper midrange is to die for, very natural and uncolored. Excellent soundstage presentation, very transparent highs. They play much higher up the chain as well as much higher up the size chart too. I also owned a pair of RT38i's thinking bigger was better, they weren't. They didn't have the balance or as natural a presentation as the RT25i's. A little to "chunky" in the lower midrange and upper bass compared to the RT25i's.

For me a real eye opener as they weren't the most expensive speaker out there, so I figured they would be good, but they turned out to be excellent!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Debating if I want to rebuild x-overs with new caps and resistors or if, in this case, might upset the balance of the speaker. It just sounds so "right", not sure I should mess with it (concerning the RT25i's).

H9

Member Sales Rating: (2)

BBC "LS3/5A" nearfield monitor specification speakers (made by Rogers, Chartwell, etc.) -- outta my league, though :-)

Some more realistic examples (in terms of cost) that come to mind:

IMF SuperCompact II (very small three way - absolutely superb)
    KEF C20
    ads L-470
    ads L-300 (a minispeaker, but one of the very best)
    EPI 60 (M60)

Oh, and I, too, (still) like the original Polk Audio Monitor 4 quite well (wish I had a pair for my Polk collection...).
    all the best,
    mrh

Forgot to add the B&W PM1 to my list as well. That's the best speaker B&W has made (at least tonally) as far as I'm concerned.

I heard my first pair of LS3's at Lou's during a Polkfest and I have to say, they aren't much to look at, but damn they sounded good. Intoxicatingly good.

H9

Default Acoustic Reasearch AR 18's

These have been impressing me for 30 some years throw a 120wpc integrated at them at loud levels they love power.
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    As much buying/selling as you do, I really think you could afford gear you think you can't. Flip that stuff and get you one nice piece. I'm not trying to bash your style at all - I could simply see you greatly appreciating the move to current technology. I was where you are a few years ago, and once I stepped up to the plate, I haven't missed the revolving door at all.
    You may be correct.
    I'm starting to clear things up but for mid level gears, I have to wait until I get a job and bring in some $$$.
    Colorado has very bad unemployment benefits. They have a maximum cap of $529 minus taxes so it's $454.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Debating if I want to rebuild x-overs with new caps and resistors or if, in this case, might upset the balance of the speaker. It just sounds so "right", not sure I should mess with it (concerning the RT25i's).

H9
    You can always save the old components carefully and downgrade if new components don't sound the way you like.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Revel M22's....The micro Utopia's are pretty good too.

Good call.

...oy, how could I have forgotten the AR-18!?! :-(
    The original, unsuffixed AR-18 was - in its day - the best speaker buy extant (at 65 smackers a pop) as far as I am concerned... still a nice sounding little loudspeaker.

Name:  AR18 1.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  59.5 KB
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Good call.

...oy, how could I have forgotten the AR-18!?! :-(
    The original, unsuffixed AR-18 was - in its day - the best speaker buy extant (at 65 smackers a pop) as far as I am concerned... still a nice sounding little loudspeaker.

Attachment 95982
    You said that right Teledyne knew how to make good speakers I was a young Soldier when I bought these at Wharton Barracks along with AR 58's love me the vintage AR sound.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

mhardy has covered the vintage pieces so I won't go there. I've been trying to get my hands on that AR18 for ages but they're ALWAYS overpriced or ratty.

Of what I've owned, I have to agree with Rick88, Energy RC-10 (especially when discounted at half-price--which they were for quite a while).

Andrew Jones, tip of the hat to the man for the newer/improved SP-BS22LRs--I just don't understand how you can do THAT at THAT price point! Polk, take NOTE!!!!

Honorable mention to Henry Kloss for the Cambridge Soundworks Model Six (not exactly small, but drivers similar to what are in the AR18, no?).

A speaker I have NOT heard but sells for a ridiculous price of less than 130 a pair MSRP, the Fluance SX-6. Anyone have any thoughts on that? It does get good reviews?

I like to keep my choices under the $299 price point. Because when you get over $500 there's a lot more wiggle room and before you know it you're over $1000 and off to the rabbit hole races.

Now as to some of what's been mentioned above that I've heard. Monitor Audio, +1. No sub needed for normal tracks, IMO.

JBL L20T, a very very nice speaker. Does NOT need a sub unless you're a real Bass Head. Sounds good on most pieces. Have to disagree with Mystery about this a little.

Polk Monitor 4s...have not heard those so I'm going to have to guess they must sound like a small size version of Monitor 5s which, also do not need a sub for most things. When does a Peerless Polk EVER sound "dry"? lol Think you need a hearing exam, and I'm the guy taking the steroids at the moment?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 03-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    mhardy has covered the vintage pieces so I won't go there. I've been trying to get my hands on that AR18 for ages but they're ALWAYS overpriced or ratty.

Andrew Jones, tip of the hat to the man for the newer/improved SP-BS22LRs--I just don't understand how you can do THAT at THAT price point! Polk, take NOTE!!!!
    Hmm... I have AR48S (not small bookshelf) waiting for refoam. I should do that sometimes. I even have the foams for both mids and woofers since 6 months. Hopefully, they don't rot on their own.

SP-BS22LR's are tempting since they are everywhere in AK, here and other forums. Hmmm...

I love these B&W 686 speakers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFx1vbXtwXU
    Make it simple...Make it better!

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Epos ELS-3
    Wharfdale Diamond 10.1
    Polk LSi7

The Epos ELS-3 will just amaze you, especially for their size. The Diamond 10.1's are very smooth, well integrated, and an absolute steal when you can find them on sale for $249/pair. I still think Polk's LSi7 is the best of that line for music, they got the x-over and driver integration right on that one.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Also the Tannoy Mercury V 1's I have are fairly decent for a smaller bookie.
    hmmm speaking of these little babies, gonna hook em up in the bedroom again, the do sound quite nice.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

+1, Doug. Epos, WD, and Lsi-7s, all very nice but pushing above that $299 MSRP. Not that that's an issue for anyone but me. And I do own the Polks.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

FWIW, I think that the CSW Six, mentioned by cnh a bit earlier. is a fine low-cost bookshelf speaker. They might still even be available new(?).
    A crossover redo, published in audioXpress in 2001, takes them to an even better place. I did a pair for my daughter when she went to college (2002) and she still has, uses, and enjoys them.

If anyone's interested in the XO information, shoot me a PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I've always ben partial to the Totem Rainmaker. That Element Millennium is the best bookshelf I've ever heard, but the fact that it doesn't actually exist is kind of a deal breaker for me...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. Intoxicating midrange. LSi7 also very enjoyable.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Edited: Thought I had an answer, but after second thought, maybe I don't.... hehe
    Last edited by Zero; 03-22-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Thread Information