Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default New 11 channel LSiM setup - question on power amps - how much is too much?

I should be receiving my new 11 channel LSiM speakers from Polk next week. (Very excited!) I currently run an 11 channel home theater LSi system. My main question is whether I'm living dangerously feeding the same amount of power to the LSiM speakers. I'm currently running 3 Emotiva power amps (XPR-5, XPA-5, and XPA-3) for my LSi home theater speakers. The front and front wides are Lsi-25's, taking an effective 600 watts per channel (at 4 ohms) from the XPR-5. The balance of my channels are running off the two XPA amp outputs (300 watts at 4 ohms).

Key question: will the LSiM 707 fronts and 705 front wides I'm getting be able to handle the 400 watts per channel (at 8 ohms) from the XPR-5?

Secondarily, I also have a Sherbourn 7-350 intended to run the four LSi-25's, together with a current pair of A9's in the bedroom, after they are switched to that location. But I have flexibility to try and optimize output, mainly emphasizing the home theater set up which is where I will do most of my listening.

If the answer is "yes, as long as you don't go crazy with the volume, those Emotiva amps would work in the LSiM HT", then my next question is can I push even more power using the XPR-5 for the towers and the 7-350 for the other seven channels in the HT?

I would highly value any advice based on real-world experience.

Here are the full HT speaker assignments:

Fronts: LSiM 707's
    Front Wides: LSiM 705's
    Front Highs: LSiM 703's
    Center: LSiM 706c
    Surrounds: LSiM 702f/x's
    Rears: LSiM 703's
    Subs: Dual SVS PB-12-Plus

Further system info:
    Pre-outs from Onkyo 3010
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP
    Two dedicated additional 20 amp circuits in living room

Member Sales Rating: (41)

The more clean power the better. Just be cautious with the volume knob.

LSiM speakers are power hungry. I had RTi A9 as fronts driving them with a XPA-3. After running Audyssey with my new LSiM system (705s fronts, 706 center and 703 surr) the levels on my Marantz SR7008 went from -5.5 for the A9s to -2.0 for the LSiM 705s with same Emotiva XPA-3.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Your speakers will be just fine, they will only take what power they need at any given time. What's important is that the power is there to be had. Congrats on your new speakers.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Would love to see pics when you get it all together.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Your speakers will be just fine, they will only take what power they need at any given time. What's important is that the power is there to be had. Congrats on your new speakers.
    Cfrizz - I used to believe pretty much the same thing from reading everyone's opinion on the AVS forum, Emo Proboard and here, and my own experience, until I blew my old RT2000i's (running together with the A9's) off the just-purchased Sherbourn 7-350. And I had the volume fairly low. The RT2000i's were rated for 300 WPC. Thus, my caution.

Thank you, everyone for your input, and being nice enough to respond to the previous lurker in his debut noob posting. I'll post pics of the new system after it arrives and the speakers are all replaced. Being a little unorthodox with the colors; getting cherry for the towers but the "almost black" mahogany for the rest. Always loved the Polk cherry on towers, but want to slightly de-emphasize the presence of rest of the speakers.

Congrats...........Sweet System!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Congrats Kurt, sounds like you're putting together a hell of a HT! That cherry looks great on the towers. With all that power you are using, are you running a dedicated circuit?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Would love to see pics when you get it all together.
    Ditto on the pix. I am also a little curious as to what the room size is where this will be set up?

You should be just fine running those speakers with those amps, but be gentle with the volume knob at first...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

www.polkarmy.com/forums

Polk should send you some free headphones and shirt.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Rotel RC-1550
    Rotel RB-1070
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Wow!...that is going to be a kicka$$ setup once put together.
    Like the rest, pictures pictures pictures!!
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Rice is great when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something - MH

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20
    Polk RTiA5's

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    Congrats Kurt, sounds like you're putting together a hell of a HT! That cherry looks great on the towers. With all that power you are using, are you running a dedicated circuit?
    Yes, I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits, in addition to the standard 15.

Quote Originally Posted by polrbehr View Post
    Ditto on the pix. I am also a little curious as to what the room size is where this will be set up?

You should be just fine running those speakers with those amps, but be gentle with the volume knob at first...
    Wow, for a previously silent lurker, I'm spouting off a lot. :) My HT (living) room is about 25x18, but also mostly open on right side (to foyer) and rear (to dining and other living room). It's also got a 25 ft ceiling. That's why I'm going heavy on the subs to push a lot of air.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Excellent set up you have there. You'll be fine with your current amps. Nice to see someone else running an 11 speaker system. Kicks ass for sure. Enjoy the new speaks!

This system I gotta see,
    post pics even of your "old" system before the LSiM's come.

Before & After

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Guy View Post
    This system I gotta see,
    post pics even of your "old" system before the LSiM's come.

Before & After
    OK - here are some before's (now). The ceiling dome rises to 25 ft, although it's not shown. My current front highs and rears are only LSi7s, so going to LSiM 703s is going to probably be my biggest change. The LSiM 706c was in a separate shipment and is already up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	89407Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	89408Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	89409

I also just learned that really high fidelity pictures are too big to post in this forum. :)
    Last edited by Kurt300; 09-01-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Nice. I wish I had a room that large or my HT. One suggestion is to get a couple of rubber door stops, and place them under the back of the center channel. This will aim it down into the seating area. Now the sound is focused over your head. Better yet, bring the center down, make the top level with the bottom of the TV, and angle it up. I have mine in front of the TV, and if the movie has black bars at the top and bottom, I add shelves under the center to bring it to the bottom of the movie. Makes a big difference when the center is coupled to the movie.

You can always host them on imageshack or someplace similar and use the img tags to post the pics.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Nice. I wish I had a room that large or my HT. One suggestion is to get a couple of rubber door stops, and place them under the back of the center channel. This will aim it down into the seating area. Now the sound is focused over your head. Better yet, bring the center down, make the top level with the bottom of the TV, and angle it up. I have mine in front of the TV, and if the movie has black bars at the top and bottom, I add shelves under the center to bring it to the bottom of the movie. Makes a big difference when the center is coupled to the movie.
    Good idea on the tilting of the center - thank you, Blue Fox. I had it below the TV before I had all those amps down there. :) Might evolve to a rack and try your suggestion in the future. It actually sounded better to me higher up, because of the angles to the sitting audience, but the center tilt-down is a slight tweak that should immediately improve the experience. When seated, the shelf for the center makes the drivers only 'just' higher than the TV, from the listener's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    You can always host them on imageshack or someplace similar and use the img tags to post the pics.
    Good thought - thank you.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt300 View Post
    Yes, I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits, in addition to the standard 15.
    Excellent Kurt, I'm going to try having two 20 amp circuits installed for my room also. You've got a big room to fill there,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    LSiM speakers are power hungry.
    This is simply not true.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    This is simply not true.
    Well, let's get right back to my original question then - is 400WPC from the XPR-5 too much for 705s and 707s to handle? Got a few more days before they get here.

Well, let's get right back to my original question then - is 400WPC from the XPR-5 too much for 705s and 707s to handle? Got a few more days before they get here.
    The amp is more than enough. Keep in mind any amp does not put out it's rated power all the time when powered on. If the speaker doesn't use it, it goes unused, your not feeding it 400 wpc as soon as you flip that switch. Also keep in mind, excess power doesn't necessarily mean you can go bonkers with the volume dial either.

Interesting, i've never seen someone drop a 150lb chunk of granite directly in front of their system.
    What were the direct benefits of this?
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Rice is great when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something - MH

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20
    Polk RTiA5's

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Your question has ready been answered. Read post 2 & 4.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbiron View Post
    Interesting, i've never seen someone drop a 150lb chunk of granite directly in front of their system.
    What were the direct benefits of this?
    It made the whole system rock-solid. :)

It made the whole system rock-solid. :)
    Thank you for saying it twice, Leroy - just must need reassurance. Those LSiMs are probably going to be the best speakers I ever own.

Badass room there! Cant wait to see the new setup up and running.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Red-faced and no one to blame but myself; there are no wall mounts on the 703's. Will need to put the Lsi7's back up for the front highs and devise some shelves or *really* high stands.
    "I can't be wrong." - F1Nut

Living room HT: 11.2 LSiM
    707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    706c center, 702 surrounds
    Onkyo 3010
    Dual Parasound Halo A51's
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Two 20 amp dedicated circuits
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV