Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt300 View Post
    Red-faced and no one to blame but myself; there are no wall mounts on the 703's. Will need to put the Lsi7's back up for the front highs and devise some shelves or *really* high stands.
    Ordered these shelves: OmniMount ECSB Component Wall Shelf. Going into studs, so should be very stable. Gives me 20" depth for the 703's. No pics of completed system until Sat.
    "I can't be wrong." - F1Nut

Living room HT: 11.2 LSiM
    707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    706c center, 702 surrounds
    Onkyo 3010
    Dual Parasound Halo A51's
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Two 20 amp dedicated circuits
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

There are people beyond envious of you right now. 703's as front heights! Hell, that's a nicer speaker than many people might ever own in their lifetime.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    There are people beyond envious of you right now. 703's as front heights! Hell, that's a nicer speaker than many people might ever own in their lifetime.
    +1 on that. Not to mention the 705s as wides!!

Really looking forward to seeing the pics of this setup once it's all in place.

OK, I have a real-world answer on power handling for LSiM towers. The 707's are singing beautifully on the XPR's 400 WPC. The 705s blew already. Didn't turn the volume up more than -12 after audessy xt32 calibration set -15 as default.

Polk customer service is being their usual wonderful selves. These are the right people to have on your team when you have issues like this. :)

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Its always a good idea to push the engine before it has a chance to "break-in", no? Give them some time before you start pushing them to their limits. You're going to damage something if you just go for it right out of the box...
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Its always a good idea to push the engine before it has a chance to "break-in", no? Give them some time before you start pushing them to their limits. You're going to damage something if you just go for it right out of the box...
    Turning -15 to -12 is pushing them to their limits???? I respectfully disagree, dskip.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Numbers on the volume control mean nothing when it comes to actual SPL. I obviously don't know how loud you got them, but I'm assuming they got some power flowing through them. What I do know is that it SOUNDS like you were pushing them to see what they could do.

What actually happened to the 705's?

Dskip, again respectfully, I was there. :)

At a "no where even close to unreasonable" volume the 705's blew at 400WPC. This is data I'm sharing with the rest of the community - not a complaint. If you get the 705's, I suggest you not run more than rated power through them (quite unlike the LSi line). The other real-world data point is that the 707's seem fine handling this level of power.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

What happened to them? They don't just blow. The fact that you HAVE 400 watts on tap doesn't mean its sending that constantly. It could be a production error that happened on your individual speaker, but its hard to tell unless you let us know what exactly happened. I'd have no problem running 400 watts or more on 705's, nor would I have issues running 5 watts on them. 5 watts is going to be a lot more dangerous to the speaker than those 400 are, trust me on that.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Kurt, please forgive me for being a bit slow on this. You blew your 705's (your main's R,L?) pushing them with 400 wpc from the Emotiva amp or the Sherbourn amp?

What happened to them? They don't just blow. The fact that you HAVE 400 watts on tap doesn't mean its sending that constantly. It could be a production error that happened on your individual speaker, but its hard to tell unless you let us know what exactly happened. I'd have no problem running 400 watts or more on 705's, nor would I have issues running 5 watts on them. 5 watts is going to be a lot more dangerous to the speaker than those 400 are, trust me on that.
    Thank you for your take on this. When I have more info I will certainly share it.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    Kurt, please forgive me for being a bit slow on this. You blew your 705's (your main's R,L?) pushing them with 400 wpc from the Emotiva amp or the Sherbourn amp?
    Polkie, I was running them from the Emo XPR-5, on the same channel that drove my LSi-25's perfectly for the last 6+months. They are assigned to be front wides, but I was running "all channel stereo" dsp from my onkyo 3010 to start the break-in process.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Something else is amiss ....they just don't blow like that unless it's a manufacturing error......or user error. I'm thinking the later. Calibration set them at -15 ? Then somethings wrong with your method, where the mic is setup, or other noise in the room at the time of calibration. Give or take, they should be no more than plus or minus 3-5 to balance the sound.

Just remember Kurt, an amp doesn't give you the green light to crank on the volume dial. Once you start entering the -10 to 0 area on the dial, your entering the danger zone and really need to pay attention.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I see, sounds very unfortunate, and these were your new 705's, both sides blew?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Something else is amiss ....they just don't blow like that unless it's a manufacturing error......or user error. I'm thinking the later. Calibration set them at -15 ? Then somethings wrong with your method, where the mic is setup, or other noise in the room at the time of calibration. Give or take, they should be no more than plus or minus 3-5 to balance the sound.

Just remember Kurt, an amp doesn't give you the green light to crank on the volume dial. Once you start entering the -10 to 0 area on the dial, your entering the danger zone and really need to pay attention.
    Tony, I must not have been clear. The overall volume defaulted to -15, not the specific level setting to those speakers. To those of you that have firm conclusions with no evidence other than in your mind-set that I must have gone wild with the volume, I will simply not engage any further. If you tell me the sky is not blue, I will only say it looks blue to me once.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    I see, sounds very unfortunate, and these were your new 705's, both sides blew?
    Yes.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

We are attempting to help you figure out what caused them to blow. You aren't giving any indicators of what happened when they blew or anything else that might help your case. Its nothing personal.

Again, give us some clues here and we can try to help so it doesn't happen again, regardless of what the cause was.

We are attempting to help you figure out what caused them to blow. You aren't giving any indicators of what happened when they blew or anything else that might help your case. Its nothing personal.

Again, give us some clues here and we can try to help so it doesn't happen again, regardless of what the cause was.
    Dskip, this could be our disconnect. I'm not looking for diagnosis or help at this point from other forum members after the failure. I was asking for help and advice at first before setting them up at that level of power. I'm not trying to "help my case". I'm dealing with Polk CS for that, and they are being responsive. No complaints, as i said.

I'm simply informing anyone that wants to listen that I have a real-world answer to the initial question I posed. In spite of that, when I am able to gather more info, I will share it.

We disagree at this point when you offer your opinion that 400WPC can be handled by those speakers without consequences. You've been around here a lot longer than me; it's OK if people believe you. But again, I was there, and am simply sharing my experience. As Nixon would say, "for future presidents". :)

To answer your other question, I did not hear anything when they blew. I just noticed at some point that those channels dropped to nothing. Please remember that it is a 11 channel system, so it just sounded a little thinner, and I checked each speaker's output individually.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Kurt,
    Diagnosis is the point, to help understand what went wrong. Not breaking bad on ya dude, it's just that you need to understand what went wrong, before claiming these speakers can't handle the amp. Your making that conclusion without understanding what went wrong. Which we don't know exactly what went wrong....yet.

Good luck on your endeavor. You are obviously too dense to accept help from anyone but Polk, so I hope they solve your issue. What I don't want is you lying about what a speaker can and can't be powered with because it just flat isn't true. Something happened for sure, but blaming it on the speaker not being able to handle the amp at reasonable volumes is ignorant.

Tonyb, I'll share more info as I get it. I'm trying to be helpful to others based on my experiences, not to mislead in any way.

Dskip, I hope you feel better soon. If what I believe changes, I will be the first to acknowledge how right you were. If you can find it in yourself to look at this from my perspective, I did accept advice from this forum. The result so far is an expensive set of blown speakers and insults added to injury.

The dust will settle and life will go on. I may end up with 707 wides, or revert to LSi25's if no other cause is found.

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

The woofers in the line have great motors with good cooling and the Polk designed ring tweets are supposed to have improved power handling as well as the Orth crossovers are supposed to have improved power handling, notch filters and Zobel networks to make the loads more uniform and easy on the amp. Everything about the LSiM line seems to indicate that they handle power well but don't need a ton of power(500+ watts) due to the Nominal 8 Ohm load and over all system design.

If I has to guess why all drivers stopped playing, I would say a bad connection point, a bad solder joint, a bad trace on the crossover, or a protection device(Are there any in the LSiM line?) is the cause. I don't see multiple caps and inductors blowing at the same time...even if there was a bad component, I would think it would be isolated as the crossovers for each voice is wied in parallel. The crossovers seem to have good high value parts:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ssover-Picture

No way in heck did all the drivers blow! I will bet money on it. IMO, I doubt it was the power(Even though I have seem more blown gear by others due to too much power over too little power)..I think it was a production fault in the wire, trace, fuse, crossover section, etc. It would be nice if Polk tells you after they get them back, what went bad.
    Last edited by WLDock; 09-06-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Kurt, I obviously don't know your level of knowledge in this hobby, but I'll try to explain the power thing. Low power amps are generally what kills speakers. Why? As an amp begins to reach its power limits, it begins to strain. This strain can cause a surge if you will to be sent to the speakers, often times forcing that driver to exceed its physical limits, causing said driver to rip itself to shreds. If the Emotiva is in perfect working condition (not saying it isn't), then it SHOULD have plenty of control over the signal and not feed "bad" power to the speakers. Its hard to overdrive a speaker on good power because you're going to have to get it damn loud to do so. I've never damaged any speakers and I'm half deaf.

I mentioned a factory issue on your units because I could see that being an issue, not the power handling of the speaker. I could also see an issue stemming from the amp, the pre, or anywhere else in the signal chain. You could've had a bad connection that is now rearing its ugly head. That is why I was trying to get more information because we have some actual installers and very experienced people on the forum that could probably run circles around anybody you'll get on the phone at Polk (no offense to them either). Did you try swapping the 705's to where the 707's are to make sure it is the speaker?

I'll be completely honest Kurt, I'd love to hear your system once you get it up and running. I could even bring some brews if an invitation was offered. I can be a bit brash on the forum and I think that stems from my sense of humor. It's definitely not from any ill-will as I just want you to get the product you deserve.
    Last edited by DSkip; 09-06-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

I just don't see both speakers going out at the same time due to a manufacturers defect. Something else caused this. Just because you have 400 watts at your disposal doesn't mean the speakers are accepting that much. You only use what is needed. I'm a 705 owner as well and have had zero issues from 30 watts to 300 watts@ 8 ohms.

I think Dskip and Tonyb was only trying to learn the situation to help you so this same issue doesn't come up when you get your replacements.
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 09-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    I just don't see both speakers going out at the same time due to a manufacturers defect.
    Wait! Both speakers went? I call foul? Time out! Kurt, did you check your electronics? Did you check the speakers on other channels?
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    I think Dskip and Tonyb was only trying to learn the situation to help you so this same issue doesn't come up when you get your replacements.
    Yes Sir.....would only make sense, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Wait! Both speakers went? I call foul? Time out! Kurt, did you check your electronics? Did you check the speakers on other channels?
    Somehow I expect Polk CS would have had him check this first.

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Yes and yes. Sorry, should have been clear.

The situation is going to be resolved by Polk CS in the best way possible. They are offering me a defective exchange with an upgrade to 707's. I will bear the cost of the difference.

Dskip, you are welcome to visit and check it out once it's all in place and broken in. :)

707 fronts & front wides
    703 front highs & rears
    Onkyo 3010
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Dual SVS PB12-Plus subs
    Black Mamba II ICs
    Mitsubishi 92" DLP TV

BR
    4xLSi25's, 2xRTiA9's
    Sherbourn PA-7020a
    Sherbourn 7-350
    SVS PB-12

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt300 View Post
    Yes and yes. Sorry, should have been clear.

The situation is going to be resolved by Polk CS in the best way possible. They are offering me a defective exchange with an upgrade to 707's. I will bear the cost of the difference.

Dskip, you are welcome to visit and check it out once it's all in place and broken in. :)
    707 for wides, I really look forward to seeing some photos of your room.

Thread Information