Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Need recommendations for SACD player

Hi all,

Thinking of getting into SACD's and looking for recommendations for a ~ $1k player. Have read about the Marantz SA 8004 and the Oppo 105. Not sure about the latter as this is for a two channel music system so alot of the bells and whistles would go unused.

Opinions based on experience given preference, but all recommendations welcome. Anyone compared the above two head to head?

Thanks!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (6)

You missed the sale on here of my Pioneer Elite 9. Good player for the $. The oppo 105 seems to be the logical choice if you want to get into flac or DSD as well as SACD. I have not heard one but reading reviews on here and a few friends that picked one up, love them! If I had my choice right now, especially since I have been going more on the digital route, the 105 would be my choice.

I am with Ernie on this. The 105, regardless of the unused bells and whistles is quite simply a fantastic universal player at its price point.
    It has a great transport, great DACs (Dual Sabre DACs) and all the bells and whistles if you decide you want them later on.

The 105 has been compared to universal players up to the $10k mark as far as performance in audio.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

The Oppo is definitely on my list.

What about the Teac CD-1000? Anybody spent time with this? It got a recommendation from TAS.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105
    Oppo-105

Most people don't use all the HP their car gives them as well.. Don't worry about unused features..
    Last edited by Toolfan66; 09-06-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    The Oppo is definitely on my list.

What about the Teac CD-1000? Anybody spent time with this? It got a recommendation from TAS.
    I've read some unappealing reviews about their DAC's, I think from our very own members. Might not apply to an SACD, but based off those reviews alone, the Oppo would be my first choice. If all you want is SACD playback, why not shop the used market? The Oppo 95 might be a better fit overall. It might even be able to be found new in some places.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I use the 105 in a 2 channel system.The fact i get a great player and DAC in one is unmatched for the $$.
    Things change all the time in most of our systems since we are never truly satisfied so teh flexibility of the 105 is unparalleled.

I have the Marantz SA8004 and it is also a fine performer. Quietest transport i have ever heard. It is also very elegant looking if aesthetics mean any thing to your rig. But i am sure in the $1k price range you can't go wrong with either. My Marantz is out where you can see it in my 2 channel rig, and my oppo is in the cabinet in the ht where is belongs. If you need it to be a combo unit then hands down it would be the oppo.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

The two frontrunners are the Marantz and the Oppo for sure. Just want to be sure I'm considering all options. I have a decent BDP so the whatever I get would be doing duty only in the 2 channel system. But . . . . . . . . . . if I would up with the Oppo I would have to put it in the HT at least once just to see what the picture/sound quality was like.

I like the look of the Marantz alot, would love to hear of a shootout between the two.
    Last edited by drumminman; 09-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Just a FYI. There's a ModWright Oppo 83 at audiosharks forum for $625. Looks like a killer deal for the $$$

I have two Sony XA-5400ES SACD players, which are around $1500 new. You should be able to find a used one for $1K or less. However, I would recommend the Oppo 105. While the sound quality is probably similar, the Oppo has a digital input which means you can use its DAC for other sources. Plus, I believe in having a spare whatever, and this gives you a spare Blueray player.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I compared the Oppo 105 against the CA 752BD and preferred the Oppo. That doesn't help with the Marantz comparison, but you may want to audio the 752 as well. Although I didn't like it as much personally, it's a very good player and should be in the rotation for comparison for someone looking at players in this price range.

Although I've not heard the Marantz, I'm not generally a huge fan of the Cirrus DACs, though the chip itself is only a small piece of the whole sound.

The Oppo 105 gets my personal vote, but I'll add the 752 to your list and would recommend an audition of all three players.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Most any Sony ES players, Oppo, Marantz SACD players should fit your needs and offer up some dang nice sound quality.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I'll vote for the Pio Elite D9.

Not very common. Great looks (IMO), Solid, extreeeeemly well built. Great DACs, upscaling, good power supply, simple analog section, I love mine! Sounds as good as ANYTHING I've heard.

No way I'm selling it anytime soon, but here is one on the Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Elit...item1e7f43cdff

I had the chance about a year ago to do a head to head comparison of that Marantz and my Oppo stock 83.

Me and a friend (with good ears) that had the Marantz listened pretty carefully to the two. On SACD, it was a toss up. Hard to tell a preference. On redbook, the Marantz was the winner. Just a bit better at being listenable. On the DVD-A discs I burn, the Oppo wins cause of course the Marantz bought onto the stupid Sony no-DVD-a thing. That alone would have made me, personally, choose the Oppo.

Since then I've picked up the Oppo 105. I've not had the chance to do another comparison. But I think it closed the gap at least on redbook. Then the versatility on a whole makes it really a really decent choice...IMHO. BTW...I only use it 2 channel.

But once you get used to higher data rate of any form, it's pretty obvious that redbook is still just a bit more of a freeze dried presentation. So dive in....

CJ
    As seen on the AVS forum... "Radio Shack zip cord kicks butt."

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Most any Sony ES players, Oppo, Marantz SACD players should fit your needs and offer up some dang nice sound quality.
    I think you're right, it'll be difficult to make a bad choice here.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I compared the Oppo 105 against the CA 752BD and preferred the Oppo. . . . The Oppo 105 gets my personal vote, but I'll add the 752 to your list and would recommend an audition of all three players.
    I have a little bit of bias against Cambridge Audio as I bought one of their better CDP's a few years back and it died. Good design - poor build quality. They may have fixed that but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Presently I'm running an older CDP into a Peter Daniel NOS DAC. I had Peter build it since that's a little above my ability, and it's killer on redbook. I'd like whatever I get to be at least as good as that

Wonder If I'm asking too much

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    I'll vote for the Pio Elite D9.

Not very common. Great looks (IMO), Solid, extreeeeemly well built. Great DACs, upscaling, good power supply, simple analog section, I love mine! Sounds as good as ANYTHING I've heard.

No way I'm selling it anytime soon, but here is one on the Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Elit...item1e7f43cdff
    I can toss a vote to the Pioneer Elite D9 as well. I was the owner of Ernie's D9, and after playing with a few others, I picked up a D9 MkII, and they sound superb, Very high build quality, easy to set up and use, fantastic analog section and good looks to boot.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

If your going to get into digitial files, the marantz does not do dsd where the oppo does.

I've yet to go down the SACD hole but I keep reading forum after forum , review after review about how its such a no brainer to buy the 105 in the $1k+ range and have EVERYTHING covered without regret. However, in your situation maybe the $650 refurb Marantz makes sence? I guess you need to decide how many of the 105's features are useful to you.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

I'm gonna go a different path and recommend a NAD M55. It has superb SACD and DVD-A performance, but the icing on the cake is its red book cd performance. I used to run a seperate player exclusively for red book CDs (Consanance CD-120 balanced and Rega Appolo) or a DAC (MHDT Paradisea + with mods). The NAD M55 replaced all of these plus a SACD player in one nice tidy package and was a big upgrade on all fronts. You can often find them used on the Gon in the $600 range. They are a $2000 player new.
    Last edited by Dawgfish; 09-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.

In terms of Customer Service alone, Oppo is THE choice.

Marantz has awful CS IMO.

I love my BDP-103, if I had the coin at the time I would have the 105 in my system right now.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfish View Post
    I'm gonna go a different path and recommend a NAD M55. It has superb SACD and DVD-A performance, but the icing on the cake is its red book cd performance. I used to run a seperate player exclusively for red book CDs (Consanance CD-120 balanced and Rega Appolo) or a DAC (MHDT Paradisea + with mods). The NAD M55 replaced all of these plus a SACD player in one nice tidy package and was a big upgrade on all fronts. You can often find them used on the Gon in the $600 range. They are a $2000 player new.
    And dog gone sexy to boot

Quote Originally Posted by Upstatemax View Post
    In terms of Customer Service alone, Oppo is THE choice.

Marantz has awful CS IMO.
    While I have not had any Oppo gear. I will state that I will never ever wish to deal with Denon/Marantz CS EVER AGAIN. The do everything BUT tell the truth. They are a FIRST PLACE team for worst CS EVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    And dog gone sexy to boot
    Thanks! I think so too!

Thread Information