Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default New PSW108 owner....Happy...kind of...

Ok...I have a moderate home stereo set up with a Yamaha HTR-6230 AV Receiver, JBL built store branded Soundstage 5.1 Towers (no the 5.1 does not mean they are a 5.1 speaker system) with dual 8 inch woofers and a tweeter per side, bi-amped kinda with dual leads coming off the receiver in the form of beefy really nice 12 gauge wire and then this week I go add this PSW108 powered sub to get that lower octave my towers just can't get down to.

The receiver has a single mono sub output (single RCA jack) the PSW108 has stereo (2 RCA jacks) I built up my own Y cable and hooked it all up, works nice...however I'm wondering would it worth it and give a little more impact if I was to tap off the speakers with speaker wire to the sub and feed it that way rather than using the next to useless sub out on the receiver ? Advice good bad or indifferent is appreciated.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Without any information on those towers, its going to be impossible to say if you will get anything out of the sub. The PSW108 only cuts to about 40Hz, which many floor standers can handle. You may be better off returning the sub, and investing in a better receiver. You could do really well with an older used higher end Denon or Harman receiver, without HDMI, and keep your HDMI switching to your TV or a standalone switch. Those older receivers can be had for next to nothing, but their audio stages will drive your speakers to their full potential.

Ok...was thinking of swapping it out with my Harman HK3375...older stereo receiver...at one point it drove these towers but living in an apartment until recently, I couldn't let it rip so to speak...but still would like to use a HT receiver for the system in the living room...know what I mean ?
    Last edited by nbrowser; 09-01-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Welcome to Club Polk!

Anonymouse is right. Most decent JBL towers will reach somewhere between 35hz-45hz on the low end. That Polk sub is an ENTRY level sub that will bottom out below 40hz. So if you want to run a sub with those towers, I'd suggest a higher model sub from Polk, at least the PSW125, and better yet the DSWPro 600 or 660.

The 125 goes to 34hz and the 600 series to an even lower 25hz.

Have fun.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Oh don't get me wrong, I"m not complaining about the sub, oh no...it pounds quite well and adds that extra dimension to the audio however...after doing an A/B test with my Yamaha and my HK...I'm fairly certain the Yamaha is a limiting factor in the system chain...heck it couldn't even drive my wee lil Klipsch B10 bookshelf speakers with any kinda flair the HK3375 did so...guess I'm now in the market for a new receiver...been looking and found a couple...a HK3390...or a Onkyo 8255B. This after realizing I never did use the AV features but just preferred to keep things stereo.

Makes me wish I still had my old Kenwood KR-2300...even at 14 watts a side it was a mean machine back in the day when I first got it...miss it.

Hrm any thoughts on the HK 3490...on sale right now at a local store...120 watts X 2 8 ohm +/-45 amps high current...makes the 75 watts X 2 +/- 42 amps of my HK3375 seem...weak...any opinions ? $470 is an appealing price for this monster...

The HK3490 is a fine receiver, if you like the HK house sound, you'll dig that receiver.

Well, I went out and did it....spent more than $250 on a receiver...I'm now the proud owner of a HK3490....no not the 3390 which "only" puts out 80 watts...oh no it's the 3490...120wpc 8 ohm...tons of amperage...and in the first listening tests with it attached to the towers being fed with a computer...and a PS3 (that one thru Optical) all i can say is....Hastala Vista Yamaha !

Very impressed with how the speakers just woke up but still...the lower end is a wee bit weak and the PSW108 fills that void nicely, just a nice compliment and not overpowering.

For the first time, I've actually got a quality home stereo to write home about. Now comes the fun part...the upgrades down the road...will ask in the right area if this powerhouse can handle a pair of big SDAs...before I go looking...hehe.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Well, I went out and did it....spent more than $250 on a receiver...I'm now the proud owner of a HK3490....no not the 3390 which "only" puts out 80 watts...oh no it's the 3490...120wpc 8 ohm...tons of amperage...and in the first listening tests with it attached to the towers being fed with a computer...and a PS3 (that one thru Optical) all i can say is....Hastala Vista Yamaha !

Very impressed with how the speakers just woke up but still...the lower end is a wee bit weak and the PSW108 fills that void nicely, just a nice compliment and not overpowering.

For the first time, I've actually got a quality home stereo to write home about. Now comes the fun part...the upgrades down the road...will ask in the right area if this powerhouse can handle a pair of big SDAs...before I go looking...hehe.
    Nice receiver, I have one as well. But it really will need some "help" to bring out the full capabilities of an SDA speaker. Fortunately, the HK 3490 has pre-outs on the back which means you can slap a big POWER AMP to it and that will do you until you want to graduate to a full blown (separate) pre-amp.

Enjoy!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Man, you guys are nice around here...almost too nice...luring me into a sense of security so you can abdu...oh crap wait...whole 'nother issue...LOL

Thanks for the advice and comments...was thinkin smaller SDA's...not the monsters Las' has....my god...I'd give my left you know what to hear those babies...damn fine sight...bet they sound like a million
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Congratulations! On a more modest level, what speaker cables are you using now? This would be the next link in the chain I would look at.

Speaker cabling, well, it's not something esoteric, just some really good quality 12 gauge premium OFC speaker wire, dual runs from the receiver to the speakers due to the bi-wiring terminals of the speakers and me well, losing the plates that came with them to join the binding posts together for a single wiring solution. It's not the fanciest, but it works.

My interconnects are not the greatest for the TV source, using the Optical out from the PS3 to the receiver is a nice touch. the Mac Mini fires direct with a 1/8th to RCA cable, probably not the best but it works (If anyone knows of a premium version of this cable, I'm all eyes !). The signal for the Apple TV goes to the TV first via HDMI then from there to the receiver via high quality RCA cables (ala one or two notches up from the crap that ships with most entry level audio gear).

I know, more room for improvement, but at this point, with the purchase of the HK3490, my budget has taken a bit of a beating so to speak. Any suggestions for upgrades, greatly appreciated. I'm not rich by any means but I'm sure there are decent quality cables out there that won't deplete my bank account.

Ken
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Get your read on Ken, plenty of threads to address everything you said. Good luck to you on your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Nice receiver, I have one as well. But it really will need some "help" to bring out the full capabilities of an SDA speaker. Fortunately, the HK 3490 has pre-outs on the back which means you can slap a big POWER AMP to it and that will do you until you want to graduate to a full blown (separate) pre-amp.

Enjoy!

cnh
    eh it was either the 3490 or the 3390...figured an extra 40WPC was worth the price difference.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Man, you guys are nice around here...almost too nice...luring me into a sense of security so you can abdu...oh crap wait...whole 'nother issue...LOL

Thanks for the advice and comments...was thinkin smaller SDA's...not the monsters Las' has....my god...I'd give my left you know what to hear those babies...damn fine sight...bet they sound like a million
    Yeah Laz likes his SDA's as big as his car!!! I'am pretty sure they sound like a million!

eh, took a chance...moved the PSW108 into the bedroom with the more modest Klipsch bookies...nice system now, moved the whatever it is 12 inch sub into the living...now looking for a better replacement...
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004