Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    ...He says to me, I thought it was going to be someone jamming on the guitar....like Van Halen. I said, Did you notice how the notes just floated in the air, the sharpness of the tones, his fingers sliding on the guitar strings ? He said......HUH ? That's all I needed to hear.
    Yes, but....

Everyone has different ears, and everyone has different cares, including kids. My son is just like yours. Really couldn't care less about sound quality. Give him his iphone with his mp3's, give him a dock, and all he cares about is how loud it can play. I've sat him down in my SDA sweet spot, and he really doesn't have much interest in it. He'll acknowledge that it sounds good, but it's not as if he ever asks me if he can listen to it, there's no interest. But he has friends who have been absolutely blown away by it. So I think it varies depending on the kid, just like it did 35 years ago or so when I first started getting into audio.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    The real issue with that argument is, what will be the "new" hi Rez file type once this shift is possible? Hi Rez as we know it today may be laughed at in 15 years, with people saying "how did we ever think that sounded good?" It is an endless cycle, but I still personally feel that portable storage will still far exceed file size in technological growth. Eventually, regardless of the newest and best, file size is going to be a moot point for society.
    Actually, I think the "really real" issue is that if they don't start making some decent music again soon, none of this will matter. It's amazing how many times I've bought the same 30 year old albums over and over again as I've drifted from one format to another. Now I'm back into vinyl, and I'm buying the same freakin albums I threw away 15 years ago! I really can't see myself getting to the point point where my 24-bit Dark Side of the Moon doesn't sound good enough any more, I'll want the 48-bit version. If music continues sucking, with new stardom continuing to be bestowed by winning a game show, etc., then will future hi-gher rez formats even matter?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Actually, I think the "really real" issue is that if they don't start making some decent music again soon, none of this will matter. It's amazing how many times I've bought the same 30 year old albums over and over again as I've drifted from one format to another. Now I'm back into vinyl, and I'm buying the same freakin albums I threw away 15 years ago! I really can't see myself getting to the point point where my 24-bit Dark Side of the Moon doesn't sound good enough any more, I'll want the 48-bit version. If music continues sucking, with new stardom continuing to be bestowed by winning a game show, etc., then will future hi-gher rez formats even matter?
    Your opinion on what is decent music only matters to you, not the industry in general. I could do without having ever bought DSOTM, but I've made many purchases from current artists that are go-to albums for me, such as The Lumineers, Gotye, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Florence and the Machine, Tool....

Stop focusing on the Pop acts and look deeper, and I'm sure you'd find more than a handful of bands that would pique your interest. Ever heard of the Black Keys? Like Edward Sharpe, they sound like they are about 40 years late to the party.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I'm only using Dark Side of the Moon as an example of an album I've bought over the years in many different formats. The problem with all the bands you're mentioning is that they are the fringe element of modern music, the far too few to move music markets towards quality over loudness wars. These formats only have any longevity if people care. There's a reason Miley Cyrus made the headlines long before she started twerking on stage, and that's because pop music is always the driving economic force. That's what sells, and whatever sells is where the industry will focus.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

It's called built in obsolesce Steve. Just like cars, just like appliances, and every other thing you can imagine. If a 16/44 cd was the bomb, the industry as a whole would stand still. No more ongoing compatibility issues, you'd be able to download quality music for free instead of paying those hyped up prices on the internet for better recordings. That's what we all dreamed of anyway. In the end, the almighty dollar will be the driver and will dictate where this all winds up. Then again, there never will be a definitive end to file wars, it will always change to drive the industry. Such is life.

Start listening to classical. So far, I have only bought one classical CD that was made loud. It is Two Cellos. These chumps tried to take current songs, and put them in a classical format. So far so good, but making it loud was unacceptable.

http://www.amazon.com/2Cellos-Sulic-...rds=two+cellos

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Start listening to classical. So far, I have only bought one classical CD that was made loud. It is Two Cellos. These chumps tried to take current songs, and put them in a classical format. So far so good, but making it loud was unacceptable.
    Off topic, but I find their product to be uninspired. There is nothing special about what they do IMO, its just a rehash of a song we've heard before, verbatim. I don't know that I consider them Classical and would probably classify them more under Pop than anything else. That could be why its the only CD you have in that category that falls prey to loudness. I'm not huge on Classical, but there are pieces I enjoy. Pretty much anything Hans Zimmer puts out is outstanding. The best dynamic range I've heard on one of his soundtracks is Inception. In fact, it might be the most noticeable (notice I didn't say greatest) dynamic range of any CD I have.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I find that most current Country music is far better mastered as well.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    I find that most current Country music is far better mastered as well.
    I dont like country but I will say that I have noticed that too. They spend some time in the studio making their music sound great.

Im not looking for the market to move 100% over to super HD 1million bit downloads but I would like CD quality downloads. I dont get how the market moved backwards. I get its a storage space problem but why cant I download my music form iTunes at CD quality and when I want it on a mobile device iTunes just converts it to MP3 for a smaller size during the sync. Computers come with load a HDD/SSD space.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

I was thinking (uh-oh) while on one of my city to city drives the other day, it would be nice if an artist every 3-4 albums would produce a best of remastered well recorded CD....just some thoughts

Of course it would be nice if produced right the 1st time.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (17)

My highest resolution in audio is to stick with vinyl!

Mastering is the most important aspect, I think, although there are many algorithms to choose from with digital and they all seem to have their own artifacts. A recording guy I know has given me material to try with is mastered the same way but is processed using different algorithms and they all sound totally different.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Quote Originally Posted by RamZet View Post
    why cant I download my music form iTunes at CD quality and when I want it on a mobile device iTunes just converts it to MP3 for a smaller size during the sync. Computers come with load a HDD/SSD space.
    You can get CD quality out a computer. In ITunes you have to use apple lossless, error correction on, and that shouldn't be a problem. Though ITunes has it's own faults in quality playback but as far as cd quality goes, totally doable. Playing it on a mobile device, that's another issue.

Redundant.
    Last edited by BlueFox; 09-26-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Apple DOES NOT sell lossless music at iTunes. You CANNOT download CD quality music from iTunes, the store. You can use iTunes the software to copy CDs into lossless files, or use Apple Lossless compressional save space.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Apple DOES NOT sell lossless music at iTunes. You CANNOT download CD quality music from iTunes, the store. You can use iTunes the software to copy CDs into lossless files, or use Apple Lossless compressional save space.
    Jesus man, relax Fox....I said nothing about BUYING jack from ITunes, or downloading straight from ITunes. Simply throwing a cd in your 'putters disc drive and copying it using ITunes and lossless.

Is there a full moon this week or what ?

Ramzet did. Everyday is a full moon at CP.

Thread Information