Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Advice on an Adcom 555II

When I found my Sda Srs speakers on Craigslist the guy also had a adcom pre and a 555 II. At the time I was unsure about them and didn't want to but them on the spot.

One of the fuses c blown so I couldn't power up the amp. He let me take both of them home and listen for two or so months.

Well the time has come to pay or give them back. He wants $300 for the preamp and the amp. My hang up is that both are in not so nice shape. Maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10.

I don't really care for the preamp but the amp seems to drive the speakers okay. I've been searching the forum for a little while looking for the right amp. Seems like there is a better adcom, parasound or carver mentioned a few times. Should I save my $ till I can get one of those or pay the 300 for this 555ii and pre?

I would want to get my money back out of this amp and move on to a better but with the cosmetic issues not sure if I could. Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.
    “Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

The GFA-555 is a fantastic amp. But $300 is high if it is in as bad of condition as you say. You can find 8-10/10 one on eBay all day long for $300 shipped.

And only a few of the Adcom pres get anything resembling a good review. If it is one of the less desirable models, you would be lucky to get little if anything out of it.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

I have a gfa 555 series 1 rack mount face and is fantastic.$300 is Very high for something you consider a 4/5 out of 10 and if you like it get the price down. I did pay $300 even from Audio Classics both sight and sound unseen and couldn't be happier w/ both the way they cleaned the thing to look show room new and ditched the shipping charge for me.Adcoms are all over E-bay and I haven't looked in a while but $300 is about the steady ready price for a series 1 or 2 -555.

$300.00 for both doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. Sell the pre for $xx.xx and there is the cost of the amp.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    Yaquin tube buffer (PearsAll)
    marantz 6005
    Morrow Sp3
    Morrow Xlr
    Lsi15 w/Fortress mod.

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by ratster View Post
    $300.00 for both doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. Sell the pre for $xx.xx and there is the cost of the amp.
    I thought about doing that. Still debating

I kind of think I'm going to pass on it and look for a better (or better shape) amp.

Thread Information