Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Speaker Suggestions to go look at...

Ok...I finally went and upgraded the power in my living room 2 channel set up, however...the speakers I have while nice, aren't cutting it so to speak. The HK 3490 can drive them to nice loud levels cleanly but the low end is lacking, lacking enough that I have to augment them with a rather beefy sub that I'll be honest, isn't sonically matched to the towers. I am looking to replace these kinda no name brand towers and also the sub (hell who doesn't like hard hits under 35Hz). The receiver is good for 120wpc-8 Ohm +/-45amps according to Harman Kardon, granted there are more powerful solutions out there but after I got my original HK 3375 years ago(still have it too !), I actually like the HK sound.

So basically, with the lack of local audio guys locally for home audio, I'm turning to you, the members of this forum for suggestions on what to look at, listen to but as far as source material goes, I'll be toting my own CDs and an LP or two to demo any speakers, with music that i'll actually be listening to on said noise makers.

Remember, any suggestions are wanted. My main musical interests are Rock, Metal, some Newer Country, bands like AC/DC, Motley Crue, Metallica(older stuff), Operator, Sugar Cult, Theory Of a Deadman, Martina McBride(gorgeous voice, enough said there), just for perspective. I won't lie, I"m not into Diana Krall or Allison Krause(sp?)...sorry...not my cup of tea musically.

Thanks for reading this rather long winded post and more thanks to those who can help steer me into what would work best for my set up, and my mucial tastes.

Ken
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Ok...I finally went and upgraded the power in my living room 2 channel set up...
    AC power or amp power? How much do you want to spend for speakers. The Magico S5 at $30K are supposed to be amazing with their bass accuracy. The Q3 at $40K is even better, but I wonder if you need a giant room for the Q3.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

What are the specs on your speakers? I don't seem to see any JBLs that are the model you list in your sig? The reason I ask is, though the HK 3490 is a decent receiver with reasonable power you'd be surprised to see what adding a beefy power amp to it might do to the bottom end of a good tower! Might just give you more of what you're looking for?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

You're probably going to want to share your budget and room size.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Ah yes, budget and room size, the room is about 10x18' budget...more ahem reasonable than $30,000 lol more like $2,000 tops, maybe $2,500 CAD

cnh, these towers were built by JBL (one way or another) but branded SoundStage for a local chain of electronics store, they cost me $380 when I bought them 9 years ago, about 4 feet tall, dual 8 inch woofers, single tweeter between the woofers, always needed a beefy sub with them no matter what powered them, even a friend with this whiz bang dual monoblock system that he says cost him $40,000 for amp and preamp...they still couldn't produce enough low end to slight midrange sound no matter what we did to goose them.I have a manual somewhere in a box around here...when I find the thing I'll post what "SoundStage" says about them, all I know for right now is the sticker on the back says "250W RMS Maximum". I'm thinking...low end JBL to be honest,

Bluefox, power amplification, the A/C sockets work well :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

SDA's

I could be wrong but I think you'd have to spend a lot more than $2k to get something comparable new.

|Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Given your listening habits, I'm going to highly recommend Usher. Those genres definitely show off all the positives their speakers have to offer. The 6311 would be perfect for that room size and will be an easy load for that HK. I believe there is a CA dealer, but not sure where they are located. The Usher's will also open you up to more music as they will make everything sound better than you're accustomed to.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (10)

here are a couple of usher models that will get your feet wet.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ful...speakers-19020

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ful...0084-tucker-ga

and throw this in with the v-602 and you're good to go for a while.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sol...plifiers-75052
    Last edited by marvda1; 09-08-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Unfortunately, no shops around here sell Ushers...pity too, did some reading on the 6311s, wouldn't mind giving them a listen however I digress. The hunt, continues...SDAs are kind of out of the question too, I don't have enough power to juice a pair of those and this I know. Was in a store looking (when I say looking, I mean looking, not listening) at a pair of LSiM 707s...look real nice but way out of the budget and probably out of my receivers power range to boot...any thoughts on say the RTiA9...within the budget and has nice specs. but keep the opinions flowing and no, I won't buy anything unless I can hear it, first. (Any Club Polk'ers in the lower mainland of BC ? lol)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Might I suggest a pair of Tyler Acoustics? Perhaps a pair of 7U's or better yet, a pair of Linbrook Signature Editions if you can score a set at a nice price...

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

The a9 is going to be a big speaker for that room. I'd recommend the lsim 703 over that in a heart beat.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Yeah about the LSiM703, I took a listen to a pair today...not too impressed, to be honest, then the guy fired up a set of 707s...that's the kinda sound I'm looking for...but way out of the budget, too far out of the budget.

Will be demoing the RTiA9s tomorrow evening, at a friend's place with my HK3490 in tow...see what those do, then again I'm also not abject to the A7's either. I tend to like big speakers...is that so um wrong ? (says the guy who somehow shoehorned two Type R 12 inchers into the cab of a F150...Supercab...
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Why don't you expand on what you liked/didn't like about the LSiM's? I thought for sure the 703 would be a home run with you, but I guess not. I also don't understand not being impressed with the 703 and having admiration for the 707.

I would guess he likes the bigger soundfield that big speakers throw. Bigger dynamics, a more hit you in the chest type of presentation.

To tell the truth, so do I.

Tony, thats the way to put it, pure impact, with sound quality mind you. My truck, '97 F150 XL Supercab, managed to custom install a pair of 12s under the rear seats, recut the door holes to 6.25, mounted the tweets on the dash to do the imaging, rears were kept 6x8, all amplified. I LOVE high impact, like when the start of AC/DC's Get It Hot first starts, or the not so subtle lead in to the Eagles, Get Over It. I don't really go for super loud and brash, but loud with impact and clarity, the 707s on their own, no sub, I FELT the bass, the 703s, not so much if at all to be honest. Sure a single woofer speaker is gonna sound great, clear and simple, I prefer the great, clear and impacting sound. Just my preference.

Granted, the size of the room should dictate a smaller speaker, my brain says...bigger, better, stronger, faster.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (12)

A pair of upgraded 2.3TL's would fit the bill nicely, bordering on overkill.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Klipsch speakers will give you pressure sound

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    A pair of upgraded 2.3TL's would fit the bill nicely, bordering on overkill.
    SDA's suggested. OP states that he doesn't have enough power for them.

Quote Originally Posted by brianle View Post
    Klipsch speakers will give you pressure sound
    Typically without much power, either.

Tony, thats the way to put it, pure impact, with sound quality mind you. My truck, '97 F150 XL Supercab, managed to custom install a pair of 12s under the rear seats, recut the door holes to 6.25, mounted the tweets on the dash to do the imaging, rears were kept 6x8, all amplified. I LOVE high impact, like when the start of AC/DC's Get It Hot first starts, or the not so subtle lead in to the Eagles, Get Over It. I don't really go for super loud and brash, but loud with impact and clarity, the 707s on their own, no sub, I FELT the bass, the 703s, not so much if at all to be honest. Sure a single woofer speaker is gonna sound great, clear and simple, I prefer the great, clear and impacting sound. Just my preference.
    Granted, the size of the room should dictate a smaller speaker, my brain says...bigger, better, stronger, faster.
    Given that you are running the HK3490 do you like the forward sound of JBL? It sure sounds like you might like their L890, or maybe the Synthesis LS60, LS80? Not a brand you will see tossed around here much but from your descriptions it sounds like a speaker you should listen to is you have not already.

Just one of several choices...
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Well, if you want to stay with just the HK for power, no additional amps, your going to have to stay with fairly easy to drive speakers to get that forceful presentation you like. Klipsch comes to mind, but given your musical tastes, those screaming high notes may not sound the greatest.

The Tyler's are worth a look, Emerald Physics, Ushers already mentioned but may not have that huge presentation your looking for. Older SDA's would work too but you'd need an amp. Legacy's....you'd also need an amp.

The problem is you want big floorstanders and most would need an amp to drive them. Even if you take 500 out of that 2000 buck budget for a used Adcom, B&K, it would be well worth it. For 1500 you would have left, your choices become more now that you have some power to push the speakers. See what I'm sayin' ?

What room did you hear the 703's in? Was it a bigger room? If so, I could see your comments holding a bit more. The 703's rival many towers of the same price bracket in terms of impact, especially in smaller rooms. That's neither here nor there though.

I still think you should find a way to hear some Usher 6311's. If you want BIG impact, you could look for some 6381's, but those are massive speakers and a much higher price point. I also don't know if they'd be as easy to drive as the 6311, another reason I am recommending them. I've never heard the Tyler's or EP, so I can't comment on them.

And now the crux of life....save up for some LSiM 707s and more potent amp...or get a pair of less expensive RTiA9s...seems my HK did a fine job of powering my buddies...almost too good, he wanted the receiver LOL

DSkip, it was a smaller listening room, about on par with the target room where the speakers will live once brought home. How do I put it into words, while I can admit the midrange and highs were nice, it alone couldn't reproduce the amount of bass I tend to like. Personally I prefer more bottom end than the majority of the people here. Not only does it sound better to me personally, but when going to moderate volume levels, I like to feel some vibrations in my body, guess different strokes for different folks. the 703s just didn't do it for me, I don't represent the majority though.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

The A9`s are going to be looking for more power than the HK will put out, IMHO.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Take a look at the line up from KEF. Very easy to drive & the Uni-Q driver is amazing. There's plenty there in your price range. There's a ton of competition in that price range & all the other mentioned speakers are all great contenders. Try to listen to as many as you can. You'll know which one is right for you when you hear it. Just trust your ears.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Take a look at the line up from KEF. Very easy to drive & the Uni-Q driver is amazing. There's plenty there in your price range. There's a ton of competition in that price range & all the other mentioned speakers are all great contenders. Try to listen to as many as you can. You'll know which one is right for you when you hear it. Just trust your ears.
    Precisely, which is why I haven't dropped money yet, listening is key...did like the RTiA9s...I know that I'll need more power if I get those, but they can loaf around with the HK til I find a good enough amp...then I can still use the HK as the pre amp for a time etc. maybe even incorporate it's own amp in a bi-amp situation. Just thinking of the possibilities is all.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

703s plus a good subwoofer?

..I know that I'll need more power if I get those, but they can loaf around with the HK til I find a good enough amp...
    Yes, your listening tastes dictate that you would love more power. However, you still seem like the somewhat warm sounding HK mixed with the JBL forward sound (Or some other efficient design) type of listener? I've heard the L890's but not the Synthesis S60, and LS80 which seem to be the step forward into the trickle down stuff. Not that you can tell a damn thing from a video but this is what I'm talking about:

HK 990 & JBL LS80
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xftfrVTRwHY

LS80's playing the classics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8hDGAjHbU

It be really interesting to see how you like these, or maybe some other similar designs. If they are in your area take a listen and report back. Would be interesting given your descriptions....there is SO much out there to listen to....and power can open up options.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

nbrowser. Now i have a set of RTi 12's..which is the 9's without the wife friendly vainer on it.

Now i do have a separate power amp to run it. It will with the right power, give you bass no problem.

I also have a set of SDA 1C's..now pretty much they just kick the crap out of the RTi 12's or 9's

You will get more bass out of the SDA's....plus they just sound alot better all the way around.

BUT the down side is..your dealing with old speakers you can not hear. Plus they also like high powered amps. On top of that not so easy to find..in good condition.

If you like the 9's..go spend 300 bucks on a used Adcom 555 on Ebay. The 9's will kick your butt on bass with that.

I am also toying with the idea of (gasp) modifying my existing towers...slicing a couple of new holes in them (measurements say I can do a 10 inch) and install a pair of 10 inch car subs in each monolith...just toying with the idea...the towers are cheap anyways...no harm no foul, just a stupid idea...hehe

But in all seriousness, locally the higher end audio market is kind of thin. I dislike eBay with a passion. And also lack the ability to order stuff online. Klipsch, Polk, Paradigm, etc. seem to be more commonly available. I'm sure some esoteric store somewhere in Vancouver BC carries higher end, but usually located in non half ton truck friendly areas...ie. parking is a pain in the you know where.

But still looking and taking suggestions to heart in any event...and no...still don't like the LSiM 703....lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004