Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    But in all seriousness, locally the higher end audio market is kind of thin. I dislike eBay with a passion. And also lack the ability to order stuff online. Klipsch, Polk, Paradigm, etc. seem to be more commonly available. I'm sure some esoteric store somewhere in Vancouver BC carries higher end, but usually located in non half ton truck friendly areas...ie. parking is a pain in the you know where.

But still looking and taking suggestions to heart in any event...and no...still don't like the LSiM 703....lol
    Well, I think you need to do away with some of these self imposed obstacles in order to get the right speaker for yourself.

You dislike the LSiM703 but love the 707, but the 707 is too expensive. Sounds like the LSiM705 that I own might be perfect for you, mine are for me!

But the 705 is also out of your budget at 3K, but really only because of your "problems" with eBay and ordering online in general. If you want the right speaker, get over your online problem.

You're posting online, why do you "lack the ability to order stuff online"?

You can get a grey market pair of new LSiM705s for 2K or get a pair straight from Polk with warranty for 2.5K on eBay today. I built a custom motorcycle from hundreds of parts mostly from eBay. ebay is what you make of it, just like the rest of the internet.

I think the LSiMs are EXACTLY what you need for years of enjoyment. Find a freind or family member who can ordewr online for you. Go buy a pair, where there's a will, there's a way...
    Last edited by Ocezam; 09-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    "The ear is not a microphone, the brain is not a tape recorder, and measurements are limited in describing subjective quality." Nelson Pass

2 Channel:
    XDA-2, Modified Jolida JD502P (2 ea), Polk LSiM705
    Theater:
    Onkyo TX-NR3009 with 9 active channels, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel, Polk M70 Mains, M40 Wides, M30 Heights, FXi A4 Surrounds, Custom built 18" sub, Mitsu 73" DLP

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    But still looking and taking suggestions to heart in any event...and no...still don't like the LSiM 703....lol
    OK, I see no response to the JBL suggestion so...maybe I'm off base?

However, if you like the LSiM signature sound then the 703s or 705's are the only ones close to your budget ESPECIALLY is you buy local...the 707's jump waay up in price.

No one can say 100% what will work for you but think about this idea for a moment. The mid & tweet in the LSiM is the same but the woofers and x-over tuning is where the line is different. The 703's tend to have a slightly boosted midbass before they drop off. How do you think these would sound with one or two small subs?

Consider this:

2 x LSiM703 ~ $1200-$1650
    eBay.ca, or local Future Shop, etc

2 x Outlaw Audio M8 subwoofers - $548 pair
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20042164-47.html

1 - used amp Bryston, Aragon, B&K, Parasound, etc or a pair of new Outlaw 2200 monoblocks - $400-$760
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com
    http://app.audiogon.com
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca
    www.outlawaudio.com

IMO, having a powerful amp is a must with your playlist but your HK might be able to hold you for a little while with the 703's, the 703's will give you the signnature LSiM crucial midrange/ tweet sound that the 707's have for much less money, and the two 8" subs will give you the missing low end that should be tight but still hit you in the chest and shake some things.

You could alway go with something different or save up $4Gs for the 707's? and still need an amp?
    Last edited by WLDock; 09-15-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Triple post - Hackers
    Last edited by WLDock; 09-15-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Double post - Hackers Please delete
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Triple post
    Last edited by WLDock; 09-15-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: triple post - hackers, please delete
    FAMILY ROOM

So I go into a higher end audio shop today to a really nice surprise, the store owner is a customer of where I work, this is a good thing, he's loaned me a pair of RTiA9s, a pair of RTiA7s and a pair of LSiM 705s to test in my home for a few weeks, also suggested a pair of Klipsch speakers but let me take the Polks home, first up, the 705s, he did say I might want to upgrade power later on as well but did say, try em all out, just make sure the others aren't in the same room, they are his demo pairs as he's shutting down for a couple of weeks starting Thursday. So, we'll see.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Amazing fate! Listen carefully...it does not get better than this....at home demo!
    FAMILY ROOM

I am listening carefully, the 3490 is doing extremely well with the 705's. Granted this set is probably well broken in by now as they are demo speakers, no complaints. I'm going to let them go for a few more days then swap them out for the RTiA9s then do a little A-B switching, see which one I like better etc. yaknow, just play.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 09-17-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

For the money you want to spend you could pick up a pair of used Harbeth 7es-3. If you’re not familiar with Harbeth, do a search you’ll find lots of good reading.

O

Well, hooked up the RTiA9s...sound decent...not as good as the 705s mind you however, gonna give them a couple of days of straight use to loosen em up if not done already...then let em go...still prefer the 705s...lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Well well well....another contender has entered the fray....and it's a Polk...RTiA5...surprisingly, they sounded actually not bad for what they are with a sub backing them up, local store has them on for $250 per tower, could go well in the bedroom system with the PSW108.

Actually was listening to a pair of Klipsch Reference series 82s, didn't like them to be honest, the RTiA5s sounded smoother, and had better low end considering we're comparing A tower with a pair of 8s to a tower with a pair of 6.5s...would work well with the HK 3375 as it's also got some amperage...That or buy two sets, one for the bedroom, one for the living room, same sonics would be kinda nice and the price is ultra reasonable I think.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

I have NO experience with any of the speakers you mention, other than the RTiA9s. I see your HK has "Pre-Out/Main-In jacks for use with External Amplifiers." Or maybe that's the HK3390 here in the US, as HK has tied the 3390 owners manual to the 3490 link. It would appear that it has 80W @ 8 ohm, but again some confusion.

I powered my front RTiA9s off a Pioneer SC-07 w/140 wpc ICE amps. Thought they sounded great for movies in a 11' X 19' room. I didn't care to listen to music. Upon adding a QSC GX7 725 watts per channel at 8 ohms, they came alive!

I couldn't find any ebay.ca listings for sellers in Canada. I did find the following URL for a Canadian source:

http://www.sfm.ca/consumer-av.php

QSC's GX line has RCA inputs & binding posts/banana jacks; so it's much simpler to hook up (no need for XLR cables).

GX3 300 watts per channel at 8 ohms & GX5 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms

IMHO, auditioning the RTiA9s with AVRs is not indicative of their performance with music. Your local "guitar shop" might rent you a QSC GX. These amps have a fan, audible until movie/music starts. A quieter fan can be installed. You might be surprised IF your RTiA7s were hooked up to a GX amp.

4xoddic, it is a HK 3490,, yes the 3390 is rated at 80 watts per side, my 3490 is rated at 120 watts per side, I know it's not a lot but it does manage to make the RTiA7s sing quite well, my home is a limiting factor in power though, the electrical box is kind of small so I'm limited for audio amplification, as in I can't add in a circuit for a dedicated power amp to eat from and what i have now is pushing things to the limit as it is. (upgrades to the house electrical system for a larger box...starts at high 4 digits, into the 5 digits, money I don't have right now)

I have since returned the RTiA9 and LSiM 705s to the shop that loaned them to me knowing after demo'ing them at home with my gear showed my amp, just isn't up to it, no harm no foul, great guy though and gave him tons of thanks. With the RTiA7's however it does a great job, I like the sound even though they are not broken in yet. I'm finding no need for the sub at all as they are providing enough bass for my liking. In other words, I'm happy...for the moment lol.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004