On another forum, a member and I agreed on a deal in which he would buy two Exact Power conditioning/regulator/regenerator units I had for sale. The agreement was that he'd send me $200 initially via Paypal, then a remaining balance of $900 in December, which I asked for in the form of a Money Order so I could avoid Paypal fees for the bulk of the purchase. And, at that time, I'd ship him the two units. This was all agreed upon via PM's.
He sent me the initial $200 about a week ago on Aug 31st.
Since that time, I've told two people that the units I had for sale... that I contracted to sell this guy... were no longer available.
Well, tonight he PM's me and says, "Something really important that I have to pay for came up... And unfortunately I decided to reconsider my whole musical set-up so I was wondering if you can send me back the money that I had deposited to you."
I had already helped him extensively research the Exact Power units in answer to several questions he had. Then, after the sale, I went through the trouble of disconnecting and removing the units he "bought" from my rack.. And, the kicker... I subsequently purchased a replacement power conditioner for my system using the $200 he sent me in a downsizing move to save myself a bit of money. Now he's suddenly changing his mind? I was/am not happy.
I asked him what he desperately needed to buy that precipitated this '180' on our deal, because his last few posts on this forum were debating between several new speakers he was looking at for his room. If he came back to me with some sob story, I had that as a bit of ammunition to fire back with. But he essentially told me he found a different power unit he'd rather buy instead of mine, which is a bit more expensive than my pair.
For my trouble, he first offered to let me keep $10 out of the whole deal. Sensing my displeasure in a response to him, he countered, offering to let me keep $30. Does this seem fair? What would you do?
The difficulty on my part, aside from the effort I've already gone through, is that I've already purchased a replacement unit based on the agreement we had. He's really putting me in a bind here.
Anyway, just wanted to get some input on this. The guy only has 11 posts on this other forum, so no real reputation or track record. And, unfortunately, they don't have a feedback system where I could at least voice my displeasure about the whole thing.
Let me know what y'all think. Thanks.