Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Your First Pair of Speakers?

Well post the model of your first pair of speakers with an image.

Mine were a pair of 1999 JBL D38 (decade series). I was 10 and my father surprised me with them for a birthday gift with a Technics SA-EX110 receiver and a Technics SH-8017 Stereo Graphic Equalizer. Not bad for a nine-ten year old.

My audio source was a PS1 for a CD player followed by a PS2 then a Xbox then my PC.

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...t/D38%20ts.pdf
    Name:  d38.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  11.2 KB
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Acoustic Research, I was about 16. Saved a lot of Subway paychecks and bought them brand new. I had either a Pioneer SX-650 or 850, can't recall exactly. Source was something similar to Yamaha CDX-1060 and was my dads.

|Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

My first good speakers were Pioneer CS-A700 that I bought around 1974 or 1975. I forgot what they cost, but from my perspective they were expensive. I was living at home rent free after getting out of the Navy, working at Dart Drug in Rockville MD, and making $1.80/hour. They seemed to work pretty good, and out performed the next size up, which used a 15" woofer. A friend was impressed with them and bought the next step up thinking bigger is better, and was irritated mine sounded better.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  125.7 KB

For me it was Ohm L's mid 70's

With this Onkyo Receiver:

And a Phillips GA212 TT

That was some hot snot man
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mikey081057; 08-30-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Polk Audio SDA2b's for me, though I did buy my mom a pair of baby advents I wish I could have back.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Polk Audio RT35i - Actually had that pair of speakers off and on for over 10-11 years until I raffled them for the githens center at Polkfest last year!
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

I believe Acoustic Research AR-102 were my first set of speakers. My parents gave me and my brother our own speakers, JVC receivers, and cd-players for Christmas. I can't remember when or how old I was, but it had to be at least 18 years ago. I blame my parents for my addiction in this hobby.

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploa...f_speakers.jpg
    Name:  247768-acoustic_research_ar102_bookshelf_speakers.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  201.7 KB

In college I had an old Fisher phono/tape deck system and a single speaker. Then around 1987 I got my first full rack system[tuner, phono, tape, CD] a JC Penny's MCS system The CD player was my FIRST and looked a little like this:

The system was on clearance and had no speakers. So I went to my local Fretter Appliance and bought some afforable Marantz speakers. I don't remember the model as they were just entry speakers...they look something like these with a 12" woofer":
    Marantz SP-1200

My first CD came from a used CD store on Grand River Ave right of the campus of Mich State Univ.
    Chick Corea Elektric Band - Light Years - 1987

Those were good times, It was the first year I had my own apartment so whenever i got a little money i would go buy another used disc.

A couple of years later, a little set of speakers that a friend had really opened up my ear. He played some classic jazz...We were listening to records by Coltrain, Miles, Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, Monk, Brubeck, and we both loved Claude Bolling - Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio. His system was so much more clinical and detailed than my system and sounded wonderful! I got a set...but they ended up in the back on my Pontiac T1000 powered by my Kenwood deck.

JBL Control 1's
    Last edited by WLDock; 08-31-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (2)

My first 'pair' of speakers was a mismatched pair of Electrovoice Wolverine full-range drivers in equally mismatched cabinets one LS-12 and one LS-15... used with a mono integrated amplifier (EICO HF-82 PP EL34 for 50 watts) and a used Philips 308 tt with a Sonus Silver label cartridge - not bad sound for a college freshman :-)

My second speakers were a pair of Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7A. Still have those :-)
    (actually, I still have the EV drivers, too... not the cabinets,though)

Polkmonitor7Asn4900 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

s/n 4900 -- well, according to the photo title :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

db Plus 440 bookshelves. I was in Grad School in NYC and finally saved enough money for a cassette tapedeck (AIWA) and a set of less than $200 dollar bookshelves. I had an old low power Pioneer integrated (early '70s) that a friend had given me as the amp.

Before that, as an undergrad, all my expenses went into books, gas, etc. Nothing left over for equipment, the "poor student" syndrome. I did manage to eventually purchase a nice AIWA boombox that had an excellent tape section (metal bias switch, 30-16Khz response). I used a $15 dollar set of headphones with that as my primary system. Used to type my papers to 97.9 FM (NYC)--Salsa rhythms matched the movement of my fingers across the Smith Corona keys. lol

Went to one of the consumer stereo shops in Manhattan and listened to several brands including, your favorite BOSE and Cerwin Vega, etc. The Canadian dbs were just better sounding in that price range. A little later I helped a friend buy a larger pair of db Plus 880s, and another buy some, "hot at the time" Pinnacle bookshelves at J&R! Still have the 440s today in a sitting room--woofers need to be refoamed.

I know I "owe" someone here a scan of the db Plus brochure which I still have. I haven't forgotten, but my daughter has not scanned it yet.

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by cnh; 08-31-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

While serving with the US Army in Vietnam in 1968 I purchased a sansui receiver and some unknown speakers. Got the stereo bug from that and I never looked back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cerwin_Vega_DX-7_Speakers_Web.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	89344Click image for larger version

Name:	marantz007large2mj.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	89345Click image for larger version

Name:	technics_sl-d202_turntable.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	89346

Pretty much my first stereo when I was 17. I really had some times with this one those Vegas were easy to drive. I cant remember how I waited for my parents to leave the house to crank them babies. Not pictured was a Marantz 5030 cassette deck.

Name:	stereo_cassette_deck_5030_all_556153 (500x231).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	89347
    found a pic of it.
    Last edited by gudnoyez; 08-31-2013 at 12:39 PM.

No pics to show but my first "real" speakers were purchased about 15 years ago from a white van and i thought they were the bomb

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    In college I had an old Fisher phono/tape deck system and a single speaker. Then around 1987 I got my first full rack system[tuner, phono, tape, CD] a JC Penny's MCS system The CD player was my FIRST and looked a little like this:

The system was on clearance and had no speakers. So I went to my local Fretter Appliance and bought some afforable Marantz speakers. I don't remember the model as they were just entry speakers...they look something like these with a 12" woofer":
    Marantz SP-1200

My first CD came from a used CD store on Grand River Ave right of the campus of Mich State Univ.
    Chick Corea Elektric Band - Light Years - 1987

Those were good times, It was the first year I had my own apartment so whenever i got a little money i would go buy another used disc.

A couple of years later, a little set of speakers that a friend had really opened up my ear. He played some classic jazz...We were listening to records by Coltrain, Miles, Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, Monk, Brubeck, and we both loved Claude Bolling - Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio. His system was so much more clinical and detailed than my system and sounded wonderful! I got a set...but they ended up in the back on my Pontiac T1000 powered by my Kenwood deck.

JBL Control 1's
    Chick Corea..Light Years ..jugs my memory ! Got it as a gift from a buddy back then and do not know how i lost it.
    Will be looking to buy it again. Thanks for jugging my memory.

Parents picked up a Sony MHC-NX1 system for me when I was like 14...

Was a great little system!

Name:  precioso-sistema-de-audio-mini-de-sony-mhc-nx1-1074-MLC3863645548_022013-F.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  186.0 KB

This one is not mine... Kind of wish I still had it! It was a work horse of a system. I brought mine into one of the labs that I used to run so everyone could listen to music. It was run nearly 12-13hrs a day. When I left that lab I left it behind so they would not loose their music!
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Bose 301s
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Hand me downs from my Mom after hearing my uncle Tommy's system. A pair of Scott something or others....this is what they looked like. Well, Mom's were mint because she never really used them but this pair is the only pair I could find online that looked like the 2 way speakers Mom gave me. Not a very good speaker. I used to sneak Dad's Klipsh Heresey speakers down to my rig while he was at work. Thank you know who from up above that he never found out about that little bit of trivial poop. My butt and his belt sure do appreciate it.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

My 1st was a drop down ZENITH turntable deal that packed up and locked like a travel case. The speakers unhinged and gave you like 15' of seperation.If you can find this thing I would astounded, astonished and blown away at the same time.I haven't the slightest idea of model name or #........
    My 2nd pair where Lafayete Criterion 100s.Something like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Vtg-...#ht_3446wt_817

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I can't recall the model number, but my first pair of "real" speakers were from Radio Shack in the late 70's. In fact, my first several pair came from the shack. They used to have those buy one get one free sales all the time, and as a poor young music lover I really appreciated those deals. I had a few pair until I was finally able to reach the pinnacle of Radio Shack speakers, the Mach IIs...
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

First speaks were from a Canadian company named Royal....a 12in 3 way that my dad helped me pick out! Pretty sure they no longer exist as a company...solid maple cabinets too. I think they were model twelves. I remember I spent all my money from summer jobs on em....pretty good sounding for the time,if I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbay13 View Post
    Chick Corea..Light Years ..jugs my memory ! Got it as a gift from a buddy back then and do not know how i lost it. Will be looking to buy it again. Thanks for jugging my memory.
    Hey, glad I could help! That group really exposed me to one of my favorite drummers of all time Dave Weckl....who was influenced by another great that I like Steve Gadd that played with Corea also.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

First serious speakers:
    JBL L150.
    Nurnburg W. Germany

Those dudes rocked!

Name:	101024051650275066.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	89350

Name:	509206-jbl_l150.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	89351

Driven by a Soundraftsmen Amp:

Name:	soundcraftsmen-a5002-2-600x600.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	89353

And a Yamaha C70 preamp:

Name:	C70_2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	89354
    Last edited by Ocezam; 08-31-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    "The ear is not a microphone, the brain is not a tape recorder, and measurements are limited in describing subjective quality." Nelson Pass

2 Channel:
    XDA-2, Modified Jolida JD502P (2 ea), Polk LSiM705
    Theater:
    Onkyo TX-NR3009 with 9 active channels, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel, Polk M70 Mains, M40 Wides, M30 Heights, FXi A4 Surrounds, Custom built 18" sub, Mitsu 73" DLP

Member Sales Rating: (44)

Bose 201's

Nik

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey081057 View Post
    For me it was Ohm L's mid 70's

With this Onkyo Receiver:

And a Phillips GA212 TT

That was some hot snot man
    Nice set Mike, I remember those Philips turntables, they sold millions_ of those, had numerous friends with them. Ohm speakers were hot too, back in the day Ohm had quite a following and were sold(and Philips) at the same shop where I got my Polks.

E P I 150's. Wish I still had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    I can't recall the model number, but my first pair of "real" speakers were from Radio Shack in the late 70's. In fact, my first several pair came from the shack. They used to have those buy one get one free sales all the time, and as a poor young music lover I really appreciated those deals. I had a few pair until I was finally able to reach the pinnacle of Radio Shack speakers, the Mach IIs...
    Radioshack would rebrand RCA with their name or another name.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by RamZet View Post
    Radioshack would rebrand RCA with their name or another name.
    In recent years that is correct, but I don't believe it was true in the 70s-80's?

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Rick,

Some how I want to believe your first "pair" had nothing to do with speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Rick,

Some how I want to believe your first "pair" had nothing to do with speakers.
    I'll never tell...

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Name:  RSamps.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  79.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    In recent years that is correct, but I don't believe it was true in the 70s-80's?
    You're correct about that - Tandy/Radio Shack used a variety of Asian OEMs including (probably) Standard Radio and Foster (Fostex) for their "Realistic" branded hifi products. Many of their cassette decks (and possibly their better 8 tracks to, if you can even conceive of "better 8 tracks"!) were made by Hitachi. Their last reel to reel deck was a rebadged TEAC.

Late in the game, many Optimus branded components were rebadged Pioneers, and even later R/S started using the "RCA" brand name on components that would previously have been branded Optimus.

www.radioshackcatalogs.com is a great resource for the halcyon days of R/S (such as they were).

Speaking of "Realistic"... the original brand name R/S used for hifi components was "Realist", but in the 1950s there was a camera brand of the same name. They were able to get R/S to change their brand name to "Realistic".
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 08-31-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information