Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck CD Tray

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Stuck CD Tray

I have a weird situation going on. I have a Denon 3910 SACD player. It works quite well with one slight problem that I need some help with. I don't fire it up that often since I am now mostly digital, however the first time to try to open the tray, it acts like its stuck. I actually have to somewhat forcefull pull the tray forward and push down a little bit too. Once I get the lip of the tray out about maybe 10% of the way out it continues the rest of the way without a problem.

Once you have done the initial prying out however the tray opens and closes the next couple times with no issues. It seems to be just that first time its catching on something, or somethings acting up. Even if I let it sit a day or so after I get it unstuck it seems to be ok. If I let it sit longer than that, then again I have an issue.

I tried leaving a disc in there, thinking that the weight of a disc might help it, but that hasnt done anything.

Any thoughts on what to check for, or things to try to keep it from having this problem?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Needs a new loader belt. Very common problem after 8-10 years. The rubber just stretches. It is pretty easy to replace.

http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=8901907744877

Man, talk about a fast reply . Thanks, will order one of those. Really want to keep this unit in working condition so I can try SACD's at some point

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

So I ordered the belt loader, but that wasnt what ended up being the problem.

There is an inner catch guard for the CD tray that contains some sort of foam gasket like armacell. Part of that gasket got turned 180 so the sticky side was out and it was catching the CD tray. A couple knife cuts later and all better.

Of course it required me to take about the entire player apart to do so, but it works 100% still.

Sales Rating
    Gear

^ How many screws did you have left over when you got it back together? If less than three you were not drinking enough to justify disassembling electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    ^ How many screws did you have left over when you got it back together? If less than three you were not drinking enough to justify disassembling electronics.
    LOL, the repair is never right unless ya got some parts left over!

I'm a mechanic...we shouldn't have parts left over...but needed a good laugh tonight, got it !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Always POP the top and see what happens. So many many folks are afraid to get naked with their gear…hence the thread SHOW ME YOUR ASS AND LET ME GET IN YOUR GUTS thread. It was changed to ASSembly due to political correct issues beyond my control.

ALWAYS open your gear and take a pic, get familiar with what works, where tubes go, what needs to be changed based on suggestions, etc etc. It doesn't change value unless you freak something up, just take a peek, determine your level and work it out. You might even find a problem.

While I've never had parts left over, I have wondered why I ended up in Vegas 2-3 times….but that has yet to be settled in a court of law. For the record.

-m

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Always POP the top and see what happens. So many many folks are afraid to get naked with their gear…hence the thread SHOW ME YOUR ASS AND LET ME GET IN YOUR GUTS thread. It was changed to ASSembly due to political correct issues beyond my control.

ALWAYS open your gear and take a pic, get familiar with what works, where tubes go, what needs to be changed based on suggestions, etc etc. It doesn't change value unless you freak something up, just take a peek, determine your level and work it out. You might even find a problem.

While I've never had parts left over, I have wondered why I ended up in Vegas 2-3 times….but that has yet to be settled in a court of law. For the record.

-m
    Hehehe... no parts left over Travis. I took a pic as I disassembled each piece with my phone for just that reason .

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Of course it required me to take about the entire player apart to do so, but it works 100% still.

Will it also toast bread now too ? lol

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    No no no....the question is....

Will it blend ? lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Nope but it does now have a pill dispenser feature I find especially useful.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    So I ordered the belt loader, but that wasnt what ended up being the problem.

There is an inner catch guard for the CD tray that contains some sort of foam gasket like armacell. Part of that gasket got turned 180 so the sticky side was out and it was catching the CD tray. A couple knife cuts later and all better.

I hope that you replaced the belt while you were in there anyway, because if it hasn't gone bad yet, it will before long, especially after being 'stressed' by a mechanism that is sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    I hope that you replaced the belt while you were in there anyway, because if it hasn't gone bad yet, it will before long, especially after being 'stressed' by a mechanism that is sticking.
    I did not do that. I do still have it in case I need to. Once I saw what it was I stopped so I didn't take apart the entire drive mechanism to replace the belt.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information