Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Dedicated Turntable Room

Just had the 1 of the spare bedroom upstairs giving to me by my daughter who had her living room there. It didnt take me NO time at all to jump on the offer LOL. Wife wasnt to happy-but she'll get over it-i hope tonight i will have recliners in place & maybe find a small fridge for drinks so i dont have to go downstairs i will have my albums & cassette shelfs in same room 12-by-13. I havent had a chance to listen to it but for a second last night. So i have some playing around to do. My wife is studying college classes daily so when im downstairs it has to be QUIET AS POSSIBLE because online timed test. So i know she will enjoy me upstairs. The original owner of this house had the Up/Down stairs insulated between the floors because he didnt use the upstairs at all (to save on heat) so this works quite well for sound barrier Attachment 89675
    Last edited by boston1450; 09-10-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    RANDY
    ~SDA2b Adcom gfa555 565pre 555t 600cd Pioneer PLa35d
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer
    ~Marantz 2252b 5025b 6300tt Tech-a4010s monitor 7b
    ~Yamaha cr2040 Advent2 Monitor 10a
    ~Rotel RV555 monitor 4 series 2 -office-
    ~Pioneer seQ404 headphones

Cool!! Nothing like a well stocked cave!! Watch your equipment next to that baseboard heat if yer planning to use it!...just sayin.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Very sweet! I see you slap the bass. Nice setup!

I also would watch that baseboard heater.

And I would throw out the thought of adding a mid grade surge protection unit like the Belkin PF30 for that setup. It also would let the cables be a bit easier to manage. And maybe later on add some room treatments.

But it looks nice, now sit back, relax and enjoy some tunes.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Maybe i will shield the baseboard somehow or see if recliner will be ok on that wall. it is the longest wall in room. Other side is clear of base board so that may be better. I have to pick up another surge protector tonight. All my others were tied up on other set ups. Just used to test it with last night. Its unplugged right now. Thanks for all the good tips. Big help
    RANDY
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer

Member Sales Rating: (4)

That is sweet! I think you'll like the angled ceiling behind the speakers. My first apartment had the same sort of set-up (attic apartment) and it sounded great. Someday, if I ever get around to making a sound room, it's going to have that sort of angle. Don't know if I could replicate the exact room though. I remember taking measurements WAAAAY back then but couldn't find 'em now...

Very sweet! +1 on the baseboard issue those wires on the heater is asking for trouble! Some spikes on the speaker stands wouldent hurt ether. Also yhe TT on a glass shelf is going to vibrate a bit so some form of a isolater under the TT would also be in order, but looks like a great man cave!!! Enjoy ( IM JEALOUS). I love the vintage marantz, its very hard to beat.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Member Sales Rating: (2)

12 x 13 is big enough :-)

FWIW I wouldn't worry much at all about the baseboard... but maybe I just like to live on the edge.
    The other folks posting to this thread need to remember that the OP lives in MAINE... if he blocks the heat in that room, they'll find his mummified corpse up there, feet propped up and smilin', when mud season comes around ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    The other folks posting to this thread need to remember that the OP lives in MAINE... if he blocks the heat in that room, they'll find his mummified corpse up there, feet propped up and smilin', when mud season comes around ;-)

Nice retro room!
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Agreed, nice flash back room! I had stands just like those 30 years ago for my Advents. Funny how I remember that but don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning....hmmm.

12 x 13 is big enough :-)

FWIW I wouldn't worry much at all about the baseboard... but maybe I just like to live on the edge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi
    I was more worried about his gear being on the heater (specifically his surge protector). If it gets hot enough it could melt plastic, or at least cause issues in the finish in his guitar. I am not so much worried about his gear being sitting near it.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Ahhh! yes, I see. I missed that the outlet strip was smack dab on the baseboard... although if it is hot water heat, it doesn't really get that hot... albeit it might get hot enough to soften/distort some plastics. If it is an electric baseboard... then... yeah :-O

As an irrelevant (mostly) aside, we went with radiant heat in much of the new house (i.e., warm water pipes under the floorboards). We haven't really mastered it yet - it's supposed to be very economical and very pleasant (warm vs. cold floors underfoot!) but our "weekends only" use of the house last year didn't interface too well with the rather leisurely heat-up time of radiant heat. We'll see how it works out when we're there full time this winter.
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 09-10-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Not home yet. Like i said it was just to test it. New protector & im gonna pull it out some & cut a piece of plywood & paint it to protect the heat issue. It does not get too hot anyways. You can put your hand on it when its set at 70 degrees. Upstairs has its own settings too. Hot water baseboard..
    Mhardy a friend of ours has the heat system like you said above & it seems very nice. Especially on the slippers. We have a basement so thats not going to happen. Our system seems to be pretty good overall. We average about 80 gallons a month in dec jan feb march & very little in the summer with the hot water. I have it serviced annually & it is running perfecto. Which is a must up here as you know. Its coming--brrr
    RANDY

Hot water baseboard makes a difference...no prob!

Quote Originally Posted by boston1450 View Post
    Not home yet. Like i said it was just to test it. New protector & im gonna pull it out some & cut a piece of plywood & paint it to protect the heat issue. It does not get too hot anyways. You can put your hand on it when its set at 70 degrees. Upstairs has its own settings too. Hot water baseboard..
    Mhardy a friend of ours has the heat system like you said above & it seems very nice. Especially on the slippers. We have a basement so thats not going to happen. Our system seems to be pretty good overall. We average about 80 gallons a month in dec jan feb march & very little in the summer with the hot water. I have it serviced annually & it is running perfecto. Which is a must up here as you know. Its coming--brrr
    heh, some under-construction photos - it works fine on the first floor above a basement... it just means seriously insulating between basement and first floor :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1722.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	89688Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2030.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	89689Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2064.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	89690Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2509.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	89687

EDIT: The "utility room" downstairs is the highest-tech thing (by far) in the house! :-P

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5420.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	89691
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 09-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by boston1450 View Post
    Seriously? Jan and Feb I must use around 500 gallons depending on the severity of the winter and my house is NOT that badly insulated? You live in MAINE and you only use 80 gallons. What do you have? A two room house? lol Even friends who have smaller split levels average 800-900 gallons a year, hot water included. Heck, I must use 100 gallons just heating water from June-August?

I just don't see how you can use that little oil. A friend of mine who just spent 6K installing the MOST efficient oil furnace he could find still uses almost 800 a year? And he "definitely" uses more than 80 gallons in the coldest months. What's your secret?

Personally, I do have an older furnace that consumes about 1400 gallons a year and MORE when we have an unusually cold one (maybe 1275 if the winter is unusually balmy)--I would upgrade but I plan to be out of the great white north in less than ten years. Of course I am heating three levels. Two floors of about 1100 sq. feet, and a partially finished basement are of about 310 sq feet--I'm sure we end up heating some of the rest of the basement which is unfinished but fully insulated. All floors, including the total basement are the same square footage. (so 3300 sq. ft. including a large portion of unfinished but "ready" basement).

Heating aside. Nice set up. Those are Monitor 7s, right?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 09-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

heh, some under-construction photos - it works fine on the first floor above a basement... it just means seriously insulating between basement and first floor :-)

Attachment 89688Attachment 89689Attachment 89690Attachment 89687

EDIT: The "utility room" downstairs is the highest-tech thing (by far) in the house! :-P

Attachment 89691
    That looks interesting, but how "long" will what seem to be fairly flimsy plastic-like hoses hold up? I assume that they NEVER get very hot because steam heat would trash a material like that in no time. So the temps must be very LOW and constant? But even then, there must be a "rating" for length of time because water will wear things out eventually and I'd hate to be around for the flood? Think about how washing machine hoses blow because of pressure.

I sit around waiting for my copper piping to spring leaks at the joints. I get a leak every couple of years or so because I must have hundreds and hundreds of feet of late '70s piping in here. And an ENTIRE floor (zone) has to be drained and EACH room has to be "repressurized". Can you say 2-3 hours of work for a few minute fix?
    God I HATE pipes! lol

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 09-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

PEX is rated for 20yr. but that don't look like the PEX I've seen. I too am waiting for some time to see the wear-ability of the plastic tubing. I got my info from "This Old House"

I do believe it is a low pressure not like incoming to the house

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    PEX is rated for 20yr. but that don't look like the PEX I've seen. I too am waiting for some time to see the wear-ability of the plastic tubing. I got my info from "This Old House"

I do believe it is a low pressure not like incoming to the house
    That makes sense. Low pressure, low temps. But it's going to blow eventually. I guess I'm just showing my neurosis concerning pipes/hoses. Excuse my "kvetching"!

cnh

Yea...whatever the heat source I think we are in for one fridge of a winter...better have been gettin ready for it!

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Seriously? Jan and Feb I must use around 500 gallons depending on the severity of the winter and my house is NOT that badly insulated? You live in MAINE and you only use 80 gallons. What do you have? A two room house? lol Even friends who have smaller split levels average 800-900 gallons a year, hot water included. Heck, I must use 100 gallons just heating water from June-August?

I just don't see how you can use that little oil. A friend of mine who just spent 6K installing the MOST efficient oil furnace he could find still uses almost 800 a year? And he "definitely" uses more than 80 gallons in the coldest months. What's your secret?

Personally, I do have an older furnace that consumes about 1400 gallons a year and MORE when we have an unusually cold one (maybe 1275 if the winter is unusually balmy)--I would upgrade but I plan to be out of the great white north in less than ten years. Of course I am heating three levels. Two floors of about 1100 sq. feet, and a partially finished basement are of about 310 sq feet--I'm sure we end up heating some of the rest of the basement which is unfinished but fully insulated. All floors, including the total basement are the same square footage. (so 3300 sq. ft. including a large portion of unfinished but "ready" basement).

Heating aside. Nice set up. Those are Monitor 7s, right?

cnh
    You crack me up Cnh. 80 gallons a month in just those months listed. We average 2500.00 a year we put in our budget & as you know the prices go up n down--more up then down,nowwa days. Id have to look to see how many gallons per year-but that doesnt matter. We have a good size house. Was a 4 bedroom & we converted a bedroom into a office.
    Last edited by boston1450; 09-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    RANDY

Low pressure and low temperature (on the order of 80 degrees F) and fully accessible from below - just gotta pull out insulation :-)

The tricky ones are the two upstairs bathrooms and... the garage :-)

That's the one fancy-butt feature of the house... since there's a room above the garage (that'd be, ahem, the hifi room, which puts us, sort of, back on topic!), it was necessary to heat the garage. Two ways to do this - an industrial-type area heater (think of those big things hangin' from the rafters in warehouses!) or radiant heat in the slab. We were on the radiant heat kick, so radiant it was. If and when we have trouble with those, I guess the jack hammers gotta come to visit...
    all the best,
    mrh

Cnh your correct. Those are Monitor 7's on my 10 stands. The 2252b matches better with the 7's. tons of bass & at 10 o'clock its too darn loud for me. I A&B the monitors & enjoyed what the 7's can do to my ears
    RANDY

Thread Information