Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Cheap Streaming Machine

Hello All, I want to look into a cheap machine, bdp or other, that can stream (Netflix, etc.) really well since that's what it would be used for. I hate that my family constantly runs my $400 plus bdp (with the cooling fan running constantly) just for this purpose, it's driving me nutty. Of course, with the latest "break downs" I've had around here lately maybe I'm paranoid. Our main computer went caput the other day and I replaced the starter for the van in the Walmart parking lot two days ago!

Life is good but sometimes it just plain sucks.

Any input would be appreciated!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

You probably need to be more specific on what exactly you'd like to stream. The Roku players can handle pretty much anything and are fairly inexpensive.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

+1 roku

Checked out Roku, never heard of such a thing before (I know, what a shock from an old school guy). Right now it's just Netflix but I can see things going haywire in a year or so with more stuff. I even ran a 75ft Ethernet cord all the way to the basement (our TV room) for this but maybe wireless is the way to go? It's quite a way's away from the modem upstairs...

Roku just came out with a Roku 3 that is supposed to be pretty good. I have one and we use it for Hulu Plus, Netflix and it works great for that. Roku even has a remote for your iPhone (maybe android too) so you can use it as a remote.

I would happily buy another one. Best 100 bucks I spent.

P.S. Personally I hardwire everything I can, but if your super far away it might be better to go with wireless. Only one way to find out.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

I've got 2 roku's, and have been pleased with them. Was having quite a few drop outs of picture until I upgraded my wireless router to a Netgear N900 series. Works much better now. I also have Amazon prime for streaming, and it does limit you to what streamers work with it. For now it needs to be roku or vizio and a few Panasonics have amazon as well. For Netflix only, almost anything will work.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Check out the Apple TV as well. That's what we use in every room and they work great for what we do (Netflix, Hulu, AirPlay, and local content streaming).
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

i have an older roku that works great thats just sitting around. streams netflix, amazon prime, hulu, etc. i could ship it to you for 35 if you want to try it. just let me know.

I would suggest the sony Blu-Ray bdp s5100 it has a great Netflix app some music apps plus your getting another bluray and sacd player for only $120. I have one and it really can't be beat for the money.

Another vote for the Roku. Besides Netfilx, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime, they have HBO GO and Redbox streaming available. I have the XS2 and the new Roku 3 and like both of them. The 3 gives you a choice of G or N reception.

Both of my units are fairly close to the wireless router, so I can't say how well they would work over a long distance, but I don't have any trouble with dropouts.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

Quote Originally Posted by rooftop59 View Post
    i have an older roku that works great thats just sitting around. streams netflix, amazon prime, hulu, etc. i could ship it to you for 35 if you want to try it. just let me know.
    Sending a PM...

Thread Information