Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Default Tubes. For the discussion of old and new. Might want to follow this one...

http://news.sciencemag.org/physics/2...rn-vacuum-tube

New brought to old or old brought to new? Perhaps both?

You decide.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Just ordered up some KT-150's for my tube amps...

That looks to be some promising technology, but how do they sound?
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 09-11-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yeah, that is cool. Maybe a tubed watch is in our future. Didn't realize tubes were that much quicker than transistors today. Who would have thunk it.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

Who's selling these?!!!
    Me needs!!!!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Interesting for sure.

Some of my gear uses sub-miniature tubes originally designed for military use. Able to withstand a nuclear blast, good to 80,000 feet with a life span of 100,000 hours.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Able to withstand a nuclear blast....
    That always seemed like an oxymoron to me. Great, the tubes are fine but we're all gonna die anyway....lol
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Hmmm, post #5 might be able to guide you in the right path. Interesting F1. Didn't know that before now but duly noted.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Able to withstand a nuclear blast
    You just might find out sooner than you think the way things are going.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Great, the tubes are fine but we're all gonna die anyway....lol
    That's the one I like. Military tubes are designed to withstand EMP but not sure about the human controllers. Anyway, tubes are for the ones left survived.

Sure, most transistors stuff will just die from EMP but the military equipments will be fine. The critical ones have failsafe and redundancy build in them so no worries about EMP.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

A 6900 (5687 on steroids) used in ICBM warheads. Max altitude 80,000 feet, 500G impact load, 50G vibration acceleration. It's job, to survive until target reached and detonated. In audio applications, near twice the transconductance of a 5687. Incredible detail and dynamics. Used this in my ModWright gear.

Last edited by SCompRacer; 09-12-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

If you all will be so kind, what is "sub-miniature" when it comes to tubes and identifying said tubes to the naked eye?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    If you all will be so kind, what is "sub-miniature" when it comes to tubes and identifying said tubes to the naked eye?

Tom
    The "micro-dynamics" of these tubes is superb!

OK, back to the topic at hand...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

John, you quoted me...yet...you wanted to stay on topic? Can I please have some of what you are having?

Tom

Tom, here's an example. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-PAIR-OF-...#ht_1541wt_679

John's witty tonight, isn't he!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I try mr. President... I try.

Good thing I have a day job, and don't need to rely upon comedic skills to put food on the table,

Hmmm....sub miniature, is that different from the miniature military tubes used in Musical Fidelity gear ?

Those are sub-miniature tubes.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

A 6900 (5687 on steroids) used in ICBM warheads. Max altitude 80,000 feet, 500G impact load, 50G vibration acceleration. It's job, to survive until target reached and detonated. In audio applications, near twice the transconductance of a 5687. Incredible detail and dynamics. Used this in my ModWright gear.

I'm running a Bendix Redbank 6385 designed for the same purpose in a DAC. It sounds amazing and way better than all other 5670 types I've tried including the famed WE 396A.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

edited - 'twasn't a value-added comment :-P
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (0)

You sure they'll fit? I'm no expert but I thought the tubes were very close together on Carver's amps. Yours use his chassis, correct? Here's some recent correspondence with the people from Prima Luna:

Question;
    "I own a PL5 Amp and am currently using KT120 with no problem. As you know Tung Sol has just or will soon be releasing a new power tube similar to the KT120. The new power tube is the KT150. Has Prima Luna been given a chance to evaluate how this tube will work with its current power amp line up?"

Answer;
    "No we have not had a chance to try them. We have seen them, and they are massive tubes... they may not physically fit sitting next to each other in the amp. Once the tubes are released, the engineers at PrimaLuna will likely do very thorough testing on them much the same way they did with the KT120s, but that will still be a ways off."
    "The ear is not a microphone, the brain is not a tape recorder, and measurements are limited in describing subjective quality." Nelson Pass

2 Channel:
    XDA-2, Modified Jolida JD502P (2 ea), Polk LSiM705
    Theater:
    Onkyo TX-NR3009 with 9 active channels, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel, Polk M70 Mains, M40 Wides, M30 Heights, FXi A4 Surrounds, Custom built 18" sub, Mitsu 73" DLP

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Yeah, that is cool. Maybe a tubed watch is in our future. Didn't realize tubes were that much quicker than transistors today. Who would have thunk it.
    agree I was also surprised to see that.

Are all those soldered in place? seems like a PITA to tube roll.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Woz already has one and you can buy them yourself. Search Nixie Watch . Another thing I want to own just to wear around for the reactions.

http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

It seems that we have wandered off topic. Please allow me to ask this again.

Tom

So do they bounce pretty good or what?

It seems that we have wandered off topic. Please allow me to ask this again.

Tom
    Answered in post #14.

Ah, so the one pictured in this thread would NOT be a miniature tube. Gotcha and thanks.

Tom

Ah, so the one pictured in this thread would NOT be a miniature tube.
    Right, that's a standard 9 pin tube.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Oops. I thought you guys were talking about submarine tubes
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

I'm talking about the tube snake boogie.

Thread Information