Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Oppo-105 . . . What are the Cons? Are there any?

I'm about to pull the trigger. It will be used as a major improvement over the Adcom GCD-700. TWO channel nirvana, primarily.
    All that I've read are excellent reviews, albeit with no negative feedback (there must be something lurking behind the scenes)

ANY NEGATIVES RE: THE 105?

TY

G
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Member Sales Rating: (49)

None from me..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Yup.... cost .... and then buying more CD's and SACD's to spin
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I personally feel it does not look like a high end player. Not bad at all, just not that sexy.

However that is not a bad thing, just a thing.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Out of the box the 105 can sound a little harsh, that's about the only negative and it disappears with burn in. At about 50 hours mine settled in, maybe minor improvements but at 50 hours you basically have the sound you're gonna get.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

GREAT INPUT SO FAR, THANK YOU!

I'm going to take the plunge (along with some MIT cables i'll post about later)

I was toying with the 105 ModWright mod, but not being able to audition the piece was out of the question (too costly). I am expecting HUGE improvements!!

G
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

I don't know much about the preamp you're using, but also try the 105 as a preamp if you can.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennDog View Post

I was toying with the 105 ModWright mod, but not being able to audition the piece was out of the question (too costly). I am expecting HUGE improvements!!

G
    Get the 105 and run it for about 3 months.After that if you go with a Modwright upgrade you will be better suited to hear all the difference.
    Pricey? Yes.
    Worth it?
    Hell Yes!
    I bought a second and drop shipped it and then had a nice A/B of the two for about a day.Then I never turned on the stock unit again.
    Oh and get ya some Sophia Electric 6sn7's for it.
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by brgman View Post
    I bought a second and drop shipped it and then had a nice A/B of the two for about a day.Then I never turned on the stock unit again.
    Would like to hear the expensive upgrade...maybe someday.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (13)

So, the stock version isn't all that.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Stock was great.But the for me the Modwright was far superior.Especially after i upgraded the tubes to the Sophia's.It's a pricey move but i always wanted a tube DAC and player and this was a home run for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I don't know much about the preamp you're using, but also try the 105 as a preamp if you can.
    I've got that on my radar!

I've been using a Cary SLP-98 pre that may be going back to the factory for a HT by-pass and hexfred rectifier upgrades. That should take it to the next level!

Dang, this rabbit hole sure is deep . . .

G
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

I've got that on my radar!

I've been using a Cary SLP-98 pre that may be going back to the factory for a HT by-pass and hexfred rectifier upgrade

G
    You'll enjoy that Cary upgrade, don't be to judgmental till break in, but she''l sing like a bird
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Was that a question or a statement? Do you have experience with it?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Yup.... cost .... and then buying more CD's and SACD's to spin

^^^^^^ding ding ding but then again I wouldn't necessarily think that would be a con.

The oppo is a great product at a great price point. Offers up a lot for that price too. The only Con I can think of is getting up to change CD's.

I spent some time with the headphone section today, and it is actually surprisingly good. It's not super powerful, but drives the HE-500 and HD600 very well on about 98% of the music I listen to. Only a handful of really quiet recordings like Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue and Chris Isaac's Heart Shaped World need a little more juice with these cans than this amp can provide. Those albums still sound great, but could use an extra 3db or so just to provide that last bit of impact to the sound.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Can I assume that you all use the 2-channel analog out on Oppo (not HDMI, to get the sound quality)?

p.s. I dont' own a Oppo so I don't know.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3

It depends. For movies and concerts I just use the HDMI. For 2 channel music or if a concert has a good stereo track I use the stereo analog outputs, so I'm not using the multi channel analog outputs at all. So I'm only using the DAC on 2 channel stuff and I know I could get better sound on BluRays using the analog outputs but it's not worth it to me, I'm fine with my Pioneer decoding movies.
    Last edited by AsSiMiLaTeD; 09-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sk88 View Post
    Can I assume that you all use the 2-channel analog out on Oppo (not HDMI, to get the sound quality)?

p.s. I dont' own a Oppo so I don't know.

You assume correctly sir.Only way to fly with this piece.

Have you used the Oppo as a preamp, and what were your impressions? Would be interesting to see if I could replace my Dac, Pre and BDP83 with the 105, and have the same or better quality.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

The only CON I can think of is OJ. I don't know if I have heard of anyone not liking an oppo product. Great value. Great performer. I have a BDP-93 that I uses as player in my HT and love it. I also like their remote app for the droid. works like a champ.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Was that a question or a statement? Do you have experience with it?
    More of an ah-ha. No experience with the 105, but I have heard a few of the older models. I can say I didn't think much about their sound quality, but I understand the 105 is better than those.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (15)

I've been considering this player lately as well. I plan to use the player primarily in DAC mode the majority of the time (connected to my Squeezebox), with the only exception being when I want to spin a few SACDs.

I've been looking at other dedicated DACs in this price range as well (e.g., W4S DAC2) and wondering how the 105 stacks up against those. I'd really like the ability to play SACDs, but at the end of the day, if the 105 functioning as a DAC isn't as good as other dedicated DACs in this price range, I'll probably opt to give up the SACD functionality.

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the Oppo 105 to similarly-priced dedicated DACs?

2-channel
    Squeezebox Duet | Benchmark DAC1 | Audio Research SP16 | Belles 350A Reference Amplifier | Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System

Home Theater
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Polk Rti70 | Polk CSi40 | Polk Fxi50 | SVS PB12-Plus/2 :D

More of an ah-ha. No experience with the 105, but I have heard a few of the older models. I can say I didn't think much about their sound quality, but I understand the 105 is better than those.
    That's what I thought, but I began reading into it too much.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldus View Post
    I've been considering this player lately as well. I plan to use the player primarily in DAC mode the majority of the time (connected to my Squeezebox), with the only exception being when I want to spin a few SACDs.

I've been looking at other dedicated DACs in this price range as well (e.g., W4S DAC2) and wondering how the 105 stacks up against those. I'd really like the ability to play SACDs, but at the end of the day, if the 105 functioning as a DAC isn't as good as other dedicated DACs in this price range, I'll probably opt to give up the SACD functionality.

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the Oppo 105 to similarly-priced dedicated DACs?
    I created a thread about the 105 here and posted some thoughts there that will help, check that out

Member Sales Rating: (15)

I created a thread about the 105 here and posted some thoughts there that will help, check that out
    Thanks - lots of great info in that thread! For those of you interested in his review and comparison to some standalone DACs, here's the link:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...P-105-thoughts

2-channel
    Squeezebox Duet | Benchmark DAC1 | Audio Research SP16 | Belles 350A Reference Amplifier | Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System

Home Theater
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Polk Rti70 | Polk CSi40 | Polk Fxi50 | SVS PB12-Plus/2 :D

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post
    Have you used the Oppo as a preamp, and what were your impressions? Would be interesting to see if I could replace my Dac, Pre and BDP83 with the 105, and have the same or better quality.
    I hear you on this. I'm interesting in using it as the center of a 2 channel temporary hybrid/HT system myself. I've listened to my buddies 95 unit but would love to have the opp to listen to the 95 side by side with the 105 next to one with the $2500 upgrade.(Not that I would ever pay that much myself)

Reading can only take one so far....I keep reading that the 105 is SOOOO much better than all previous gens...now the $2500 upgrade is SOOO much better than the already "Legendary Status" 105 unit...and on and on. It just would be so cool to be able to hear these before spending hard earned money. I need to work on that and get connected with a local audio group/society....now that is a way to get my ear on more gear! Still, the 105 is on the radar.
    Last edited by WLDock; 09-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Well, it's a done deal. I've ordered the 105 and should be here next week . . . I can't wait!

G
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Well, it's a done deal. I've ordered the 105 and should be here next week . . . I can't wait!

G
    Nice!!!

If you end up trying it out as a preamp, I would be interested in your thoughts. I've read mixed reviews on the unit replacing a pre-amp in 2-channel systems which is something I have considered doing.

Anyway, congrats.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Thread Information