Quote Originally Posted by Steven72555 View Post
    That was a screwed up suggestion.
    Do you own a pair?
    Have you heard a pair?

Did you even check the prices on those?
    No
    Yes
    Yes

They are superb. They weren't designed for home theatre.
    For more affordable options, there are some very nice Pioneers now available designed by their (TAD's) Andrew Jones.

... and plenty of things in between.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    A pair of Magnepan MMG's could be yours for 599.00 plus shipping. They will run circles around what you are proposing.
    Look no further than this. Add a sub and get a decent amp to run them, and you should be thanking him.

In other news, I'm hoping the door hits you square in the ass on the way out. Good luck on your endeavor, however ill-fated it might be.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

6000 usd a pair?
    Their P3ESR speakers start at $2300 a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Look no further than this. Add a sub and get a decent amp to run them, and you should be thanking him.

In other news, I'm hoping the door hits you square in the ass on the way out. Good luck on your endeavor, however ill-fated it might be.

Wanted to add, if you go the Maggie route, be sure the subwoofer is nice and quick. Don't go out and get a 12" $300 sub, 'cuz it ain't gonna keep up.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Wanted to add, if you go the Maggie route, be sure the subwoofer is nice and quick. Don't go out and get a 12" $300 sub, 'cuz it ain't gonna keep up.
    There is a 3 piece option for them from Magnepan that includes a sweet little sub panel...

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Magneplanars are fine but pretty power-hungry...
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    There is a 3 piece option for them from Magnepan that includes a sweet little sub panel...

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

Have you heard it? Might be interesting to implement with the SMG's.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Not as deep as I would like, but it is very fast and detailed, without being boomy. It will take the MMG to a level very near the 3.7's IHMO.

As far as power hungry goes, so long as the amp will tolerate a 4 ohm load, they can sound quite nice with 50 watts...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Member Sales Rating: (31)

You know what..
    This thread was started because I was hoping for some "constructive" hints and ideas on how I can build some speakers. After all, I am in the DIY subforum.
    No its a freakin debate over what I can or cannot afford.
    I shall assume there is nobody that can build speakers that wants to help me out here.

So, I will consider this thread closed and I'll go look elsewhere for some constructive help.

Thanks anyway.
    Did you read posts 3, 7, and 9?

One poster has been published in a very popular DIY loudspeaker book, the other has won a couple of DIY competitions, both provided helpful information. Or is it you're just not hearing what you want to hear...?

Just curious, what is the difference between a speaker designed for 2 channel and one designed for HT? A well designed speaker should be able to do either proficiently.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Steven, where was this stated?

I was at another "Audio" forum asking for advice, and a lot of them came off sounding like pompous ***** that figured only the best sounds had to be bought from a retailer.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...50#post1937450
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Seems to me the only pompous a$$ in this thread is the OP.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (2)

:-(

seems like maybe so...

Given that my daily drivers are DIYs (albeit not with cabinets built by me, because I am a wood butcher!) I certainly have some opinions on the subject... but I also couldn't help but bristle at the suggestion that there are no modern loudspeakers designed for hifi.

For completeness, some favorite DIY resources:

www.t-linespeakers.org
    www.quarter-wave.com
    http://brinesacoustics.com/Articles.html
    http://www.wardsweb.org/Billfort/
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Pretty sure you can expect this person never to return...at least not visually.

Anyway, the Parts-Express tech is quite bluntly wrong. Unless that enclosure is *just* for the woofer and you are using an open air baffle for the mid/tweeter, I re-iterate that the enclosure is flat out wrong.

Nobody was telling you not to try it. You came in saying that there weren't any vendors selling hi-fi directed speakers in the Cleveland area. You are flat out wrong...there are several.
    Had you simply stated that you felt that you could come up with a DIY speaker that met your needs and didn't cost more than $700 per speaker then you would have found a much more welcoming atmosphere.
    And now, having snubbed some good options mentioned on this site, you bounce to another site and spout flat out BS about members of this forum.
    Pretty sure nobody really wants to help anyone like that anywhere you turn.
    I get the distinct impression that you came here looking for a specific set of answers and didn't like the ones you got so you ran your mouth without giving it any thought.

Fact is, budget *is* a very important factor in DIY speakers. It is also important to know *why* you think pre-made speakers aren't going to give you what you want...there may be options out there you have no experience with that could be exactly what you are looking for and well under your budget (whatever that may be).
    Your dollar amounts on Parts Express' forum are all over the place.

If your first reaction to honest valid questions that help to determine what direction we should point you in is to get butt-hurt, then maybe you are right...maybe you *ARE* in the wrong place.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Thread Information