Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Which type of cable (PC, IC, SC) has more effect to the sound

If I believe cables can make a difference to the sound, in terms of importance how would you rank the following type of cables from high to low?
    1. Power cable
    2. Interconnect
    3. Speaker cable

If all the existing cables (including connectors) are just ordinary working cables with nothing wrong, I'd like to know which cable should I look FIRST for possible improvements.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3

You will get a lot of answers and hopefully not arguments, but I guess I'll start. In my fairly limited experience in my system I could tell a difference with interconnects, but not power cables. I have not A/B speaker cables.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Quote Originally Posted by sk88 View Post
    If I believe cables can make a difference to the sound, in terms of importance how would you rank the following type of cables from high to low?
    1. Power cable
    2. Interconnect
    3. Speaker cable

If all the existing cables (including connectors) are just ordinary working cables with nothing wrong, I'd like to know which cable should I look FIRST for possible improvements.
    what are you connecting your ps3?

Hard to say. Most would start off with speaker cables, but as always synergy comes into play.
    Example: I had bought a pair of silver IC all the way down to to RCA connectors a few years ago and placed the between my SACD player and my Elite SC-35 using LSi25's...sounded like a$$ & hurt my ears and swore I would never use silver again.

Pulled them out 6 months ago installed them in between my SACD and Modwright integrated sounds wonderful so they stayed.

Have wish-washed cables in several combinations there is no one answer just as any other component.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Assuming you've got a solid base to work with, IC, PC, then SC is the way I'd rate it. I don't hear as much difference in speaker cables as I do the first two, but I feel the PNF's are a strong cable for the money. IC/PC are very close though, especially on the pre/source. I don't hear much difference on my monoblocks at this point between the Pangea AC-9's and stock cords.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelfisch View Post
    what are you connecting your ps3?
    Currently it goes to my SC-68 over HDMI.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t

Member Sales Rating: (26)

This question is a legit question. With that said, it's also a loaded one with no one sweeping answer to address everybody. It always boils down to ones gear, preferences and listening ability. Synergy also plays an extremely large part of this equation.......at least in my experience. Yours and others experience may not be the same.

BTW, there is no belief. There only is.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Hard to say. Most would start off with speaker cables, but as always synergy comes into play.

... placed the between my SACD player and my Elite SC-35 using LSi25's...sounded like a$$ & hurt my ears and swore I would never use silver again.
    Hmm.. I am mod'ing the XO on LSi25 and since it's going to be external, I'll be replacing all the internal and speaker wires at the same time. Not sure what kind of wire I should go by now... I know it's not a good idea to make multiple changes at the same time.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

From my experience, Speaker, IC, then PC.....in that order.

I prefer speaker, IC, PC, PC, IC, upgrade speaker, upgrade PC, upgrade IC, upgrade PC. Repeat.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I prefer speaker, IC, PC, PC, IC, upgrade speaker, upgrade PC, upgrade IC, upgrade PC. Repeat.
    Man, your like reading the directions on a shampoo bottle.

You don't think SC makes a difference?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

He said speaker cable first.
    I prefer speaker, IC, PC,
    I agree on that order.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (4)

^^^^^I do as well.......^^^^^
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Here is my hierarchy of cables that have an effect of sound quality: analog audio signal -> digital audio signal -> power. Within that, it can be fairly system and component dependent based on transmission type, connector type, length of cable, and possible sources of interference.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

As evidenced by the varying answers, there is no right answer.

My limited experience says SC, IC, PC.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll start with the speaker wires. That's probably the only analog part of the wires I'll have. My IC's are either HDMI or USB which are digital so I think there is not too much concerns as long as on solid cables. I'll leave power cable for the last.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll start with the speaker wires. That's probably the only analog part of the wires I'll have. My IC's are either HDMI or USB which are digital so I think there is not too much concerns as long as on solid cables. I'll leave power cable for the last.
    I KNOW some will disagree, but let's not forget that digital IC's count too. They can have as much of an effect on the audio your system produces as analog IC's do. I would include upgrading your digital IC's as well.

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Food for thought: I'm not sure what you're looking at, but even adding cheapo Pangea AC-14's will make a sonic benefit for a low investment. The results can be staggering, and I don't think you can match the bang for the buck they offer in any other category honestly. One for the source and one for the preamp/integrated will run about $60 shipped, maybe even less if used. Try finding some solid IC's or SC's for that.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Maybe more detail information about my set up can help:
    I use PS3 mostly to play CD music and occasionally DVD/BD for movies or games. It's a 6' HDMI cable between the PS3 and SC-68. They both plug into a Belkin PureAV PF30 power conditioner/surger protector.
    I also connect a laptop to SC-68 over the Async USB port for playing FLAC files.

A better power plug may benefit SC-68. Would it matter if I continue plugging it to PF30 or directly to the wall? PF30 has a high-current port specifically designed for amp.

Regarding HDMI, I figured nothing much to worry for a 6' length and we are not talking about cheaply made cables. I assume improvements might be minuscule at best. The same goes to the async usb connection.

I might consider upgrading to a better CD player. I checked with Oppo for a 103 or 105. However, Oppo CS actually suggested me 103 and connect it over HDMI to SC-68. In their words, I'll get the best audio quality and I won't loose SC-68's ability with MCACC adjustments. I believe they may suggest differently if I have an analog-only preamp or amp.

I understand there have been many discussions about cables. Please understand I don't have actual experiences to tell which way is better (thus my post here).
    Last edited by sk88; 09-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Food for thought: I'm not sure what you're looking at, but even adding cheapo Pangea AC-14's will make a sonic benefit for a low investment.
    Hi DSkip,
    Just want to say thanks! I purchased a Pangea AC-14SE C7 for my CD/SACD player and I like it. My next step is to build a NeoTech power cable (NC-P311 male, NC-P302 IEC, NEP-3001 3x10awg) for the amp. Unlike speaker cables, choosing a power cable is much easier.

Unlike speaker cables, choosing a power cable is much easier.
    Wanna bet!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Unlike speaker cables, choosing a power cable is much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Wanna bet!
    Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes.

Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes.
    Tried to embed this video but it wouldn't work?? Anyway:

http://youtu.be/S9sjMIny4dk
    Last edited by headrott; 10-10-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Hi DSkip,
    Just want to say thanks! I purchased a Pangea AC-14SE C7 for my CD/SACD player and I like it. My next step is to build a NeoTech power cable (NC-P311 male, NC-P302 IEC, NEP-3001 3x10awg) for the amp. Unlike speaker cables, choosing a power cable is much easier.
    Glad you're happy man.

As far as HDMI cables, I really like what Kurt from Blue Jeans Cable has to say...very informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHjkb1m7Y7s

HDMI Cable Information Center
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...n.htm?hdmidept

For shorter runs...I'm not sure what more there is to gain over their Belden cables? Well, at least they fit my needs...
    Last edited by WLDock; 10-10-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Wanna bet!
    I was gonna bet that there is no MIT shotgun power cable. I was wrong of course. :-)

Thanks WLDock, that BLC video is very informative.

I was gonna bet that there is no MIT shotgun power cable. I was wrong of course. :-)
    LOL....yeah they do, but I've never tried one. I prefer PS Audio power cords. PS Audio is the only company to truly engineer a power cord from the ground up to include making their own plug heads and IEC ends that are then cold welded and hermetically sealed to the wires. Everyone else is still using the generic loose fitting Hubbell type. In addition, PS Audio makes no secret about what materials are used or the configuration inside their power cords. More importantly, like MIT audio cables, they sound great!

Damn forum won't let me edit.....

Slight corrrection, Pangea plug heads are not the generic loose fitting Hubbell type, but still not in the same class as the ones PS Audio makes.

Thread Information