Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Resurrecting a pair of monitor 7s

Several months ago I picked up a pair of monitor 7Bs. The were in pretty sad Shape. Both MWs were frozen, the grills were missing and cabinets had seen better days, but for $20 I bought them anyway since they had peerless tweeters. Following advise I found here I attempted to unfreeze the MWs. I succeeded on one but not the other. I posted a WTB on here and someone sold me a pair of MW6500s. As soon as they arrived and passed inspection, I ran a bead of thicken west epoxy around the magnets and popped them in. They sounded very good.

Next I build some stands for them and ran wiring from my family room where my equipment is located, to my basement where the speakers are.

This weekend I replaced the caps, resistors and binding posts. I went with sonic caps and mill resistors. I also dynamatted the MW and PR, installed hurricane nuts and replaced the binding post. They sound so much better. I can't wait until they settle in.

Next up I need to make some grills. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Especially how to mount them. The attached grill guides are pretty mangled and how do I line up the holes on the grills with the grill guides.

Anyhow, here are a couple of my resurrected monitor 7s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	89883Click image for larger version

Views:	94
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	89882Click image for larger version

Views:	99
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	89881

They look great, nice space!
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Nice job.

Maybe not the advice you're looking for, but I would paint the driver surround a flat black with a small hobby brush and leave them naked and in their glory.....

Looks very nice & the stands came out sweet. Great project-now time to enjoy them :)
    RANDY
    ~SDA2b Adcom gfa555 565pre 555t 600cd Pioneer PLa35d
    ~SDA1c Denon POA2200 Yamaha RX-V1(gold) HK25 AT-LP120tt-HT 4/rs Cs400i/cc Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer
    ~Marantz 2252b 5025b 6300tt Tech-a4010s monitor 7b
    ~Yamaha cr2040 Advent2 Monitor 10a
    ~Rotel RV555 monitor 4 series 2 -office-
    ~Pioneer seQ404 2-4channel headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Runnin View Post
    Several months ago I picked up a pair of monitor 7Bs. The were in pretty sad Shape. Both MWs were frozen, the grills were missing and cabinets had seen better days, but for $20 I bought them anyway since they had peerless tweeters. Following advise I found here I attempted to unfreeze the MWs. I succeeded on one but not the other. I posted a WTB on here and someone sold me a pair of MW6500s. As soon as they arrived and passed inspection, I ran a bead of thicken west epoxy around the magnets and popped them in. They sounded very good.

Next I build some stands for them and ran wiring from my family room where my equipment is located, to my basement where the speakers are.

This weekend I replaced the caps, resistors and binding posts. I went with sonic caps and mill resistors. I also dynamatted the MW and PR, installed hurricane nuts and replaced the binding post. They sound so much better. I can't wait until they settle in.

Next up I need to make some grills. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Especially how to mount them. The attached grill guides are pretty mangled and how do I line up the holes on the grills with the grill guides.

Anyhow, here are a couple of my resurrected monitor 7s.

Attachment 89883Attachment 89882Attachment 89881
    Nice job. You can purchase new heavy duty grill clips from Part Express: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-367
    The grill itself can be made from 1/2" or 3/4 MDF. I put a beveled edge on my last project, but the older Monitors and SDAs used a radius edge. For centering the grill pins with the new grill, carefully measure to the center of the mounting holes from two sides in the speaker baffle, and transfer it to the new grill.
    I personally don't use the little cups that come with the new grill clips. I simply drill a hole in the grill that's sized so the ball fits snugly.
    BTW, the best tool for measuring the centerline of the holes is a carpenters, small combination square.
    Last edited by westmassguy; 09-17-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Thanks for the replays. Since the grill are not flush at the bottom, how is the best way to measure/determine the correct length? Will these grill clips fit the holes in the speaker? How do you remove the old grill clips? What size drill bit do you use in the grill if I'm not using the cups? Did you bevel the inside cut/hole on the grills?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Runnin View Post
    Thanks for the replays. Since the grill are not flush at the bottom, how is the best way to measure/determine the correct length? Will these grill clips fit the holes in the speaker? How do you remove the old grill clips? What size drill bit do you use in the grill if I'm not using the cups? Did you bevel the inside cut/hole on the grills?

Thanks
    Find some photos of the original Monitors that had the exposed trim and logo at the bottom, and do it by eye. Another member with similar early monitors may chime in with the correct measurement. The new clips are press fit. The old clips are press-fit as well. A claw hammer with protection under it should persuade them out. A pair of channel lock pliers to loosen them may help. Proceed with caution, you don't want to lift any of the particle board. Don't remember off the top of my head the drill I used, just match the drill size to the size of the ball. Do a few test holes in some scrap material first. The balls should fit snug.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Great work!

I have an extra set of grilles from my Polk 7As, but I am not sure whether they would fit yours - my pair has the badge on the grilles, not the cabinet, and the grille covers the entire front face of the speaker. Otherwise it could be a match.

It you're ever in the DC area I'd be happy to give you a pair - the fabric isn't in excellent shape but there are no holes, and at least you'd have the frame to use to re-cover them...
    HT System:
    Pioneer VSX-820-k
    Front: Polk Monitor 7B Restored
    Rear: Currently not in service
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Pioneer VSX-1250
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    NAD 7240PE
    Klipsch KG4

Bedroom:
    Harman Kardon 3380
    Bowers & Wilkins DM601
    Polk PSW10

In and out of rotation:
    KLH Model 6,
    Polk Monitor 5 Series II
    Design Acoustic PS-10A
    NAD 7100

Banned

Great job on the Monitor 7's (I have a pair also). Cool stands. BTW - Is that a Brunswick Gold Crown 1 pool table? I have a GC1 pool table and it's from the mid 60's... looks very similar to yours. Love it!

If you need measurements PM member "Mystery" here, he can probably take them for you.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Fidelio X1 |

Those look great man. I can't wait to recap my peerless 5s...

It's an Irving Kaye pool table. We picked it up used back in the early 70s

Thread Information